PSU faulty?

Remus

Antihero
I had been buying new computer components on and off over period of two months and finally assembled. The system boot up okay and installed windows 7, however after installing a Nvidia driver and tapping enter key to log-in the windows - the system power-off suddenly by itself. I checked the PSU and its fan not moving at all even i pushed the power button on my casing.

I did some googling and tried the paper clip test on the PSU; the fan inside the PSU still not working. I tested another PSU (an old unit and has no 8-pins PCIE connector) and its fan was functional.

The suspected faulty PSU is the renown Corsair HX750; are there any other possibilities beside the PSU that could caused the problem? I couldn't hear boot up error beep as my Corsair 600T casing has no speaker cable for connecting to the front panel connectors.

Sounds strange - if you already managed to install Windows.

I`d try re-assembling the whole setup from scratch, just to make sure. It seems like the PSU though.

Try unplugging everything except mainboard, cpu, 1 harddrive, 1 memorychip, and powersupply. Power it up and check if you can hear the harddrive boot up, or see light indicator on mainboard (if it has one). If you get any of those, but no noise from the powersupply, it has a defect fan. If you get no response from neither, it could be either a faulty powersupply, cpu, mainboard, or memorychip.

Try unplugging everything except mainboard, cpu, 1 harddrive, 1 memorychip, and powersupply…..

nope, no dice. no reaction at all from the PSU, it simply dead. With the old PSU at least the m/b shown its LED light and system fans will ran except that the system wouldn't post anyway. maybe the gigabyte odin 550 couldn't power up the gtx 580 with 2 hard disks. guess i have to RMA the PSU which could end up waiting for couple months, or while waiting get an another one. The Seasonic 750 x-series looks good to me :)

Very surprised to hear about this happening with a Corsair PSU. I've got the TX650, and it's one of the best PSUs I've ever had.

The fan not running at all is definitely an indication for a faulty PSU. One could have assumed that the fan was PWM controlled and would only start to run if a certain temp (= load on the PSU) is reached but with your kind of system (GTX 580) there should be enough drain on the PSU from the moment you hit the power button to make the fan run -at least slowly- at all times. Certainly sounds like you got a DOA PSU that powers down the moment it starts to overheat, i.e. as soon as the combo of Win 7 + nVidia driver + other drivers and components powering up fully all start to draw some serious juice from the PSU. It then shuts down automatically to prevent further damage to itself or any other system components.

Thanks for the replies. The PSU reseller promised to get another for a replacement as soon as possible; will see how that turn up.

I got my psu exchanged last week. The psu ran, but the system still not booting up and my BIOS was telling me there were no hard drive optical drive detected. I reconnecting cables, drives, and updated BIOS, still no dice. So i suspected either all my SATA ports or all my drives somehow faulty - which was pretty unlikely. Anyway, i sent the system to shop for new drives to test.

Well, the drives were indeed all dead. So actually when the psu short out a month ago, it also killed all my connected drives. Shit, i purposely bought a good branded psu to avoid these kind problem. Sigh. Now at least the system running well and solid.

I saw it happen a lot of times with bad quality PSUs. But with good quality PSUs, it's rare. I too have a HX750. You had bad luck.
Glad to know that now everything is running fine.

I did lost few personal things although nothing critical. It sucks though to lost them after many years been kept on my hard disk.

Back
Top Bottom