Remake(s) I'd love to see

Omikron: The Nomad Soul. Despite all its dated graphics it is still a great game.

Now with the current technology, it could be a real hit remake.

KOTOR 2

Not just a remake with updated tech but more of an extended version where it is properly and fully finished according to the developers' original plans.

Last edited:
All series of crpg I would enjoy to see especialy wizardry,ultima 7 and mm I, why not instead of the same game to get other experience? I mean if you are doing one thing you are not doing another and you are not growing,yes you could say for example the old edition of The Dying Earth series does need an update for the contemporary eyes but if the author is going to attempt that he is not creating other books wich could be said games in our case? And there is no need of the exactly the same thing since is not like I need the same fps game with new sparkles.

Grimoire just kidding :) To me the answer is easy. Dark Heart of Uukral. One of the best times I had playing a computer rpg. Perfect blend between puzzles and fighting. Some of the craziest and deepest puzzles I have seen. Drove you crazy before the internet.

My only hope at getting some of those puzzles back then was my older brother also played it at the same time. He has a PHD in Chemical Engineering and I had to rely on his big fat brain. Though I did solve two of the puzzles he did not get and I still give him a hard time to this day.

I'll add Vampires Bloodlines to my list, since I haven't been able to get the dern thing running in like 5 yrs. I had a lot of fun with that game on my old system.

Gothic 2. I had a more or less recent experience playing it, and couldn't believe how awful it looked! And many years ago I was walking around in that game, actually looking at how gorgeous the environment was, admiring it! What a contrast. 3D graphics don't age well.

Old game that isn't mentioned much on this site but I loved when I was a kid was SSI's Strahd's Possession. Just something about it always stayed with me, had great atmosphere and a fun story in a interesting setting. Would love to see a remake of this one and the follow up to it Ravenloft Stone Prophet.

Not a big vampire/undead fanbase I guess.

+1 for System Shock, Ultima Underworld, and Ultima 7.

I can't really agree that the Gothics are in need of a remake though. I think they still look really good even by today's standards. The art direction is so good that it overcomes the dated technical aspects (imo).

PS:T and MotB (how I hate NWN2 engine)....

Some of the gold box games I also would like to see in new engine, I hear great things about those games, but I just can't make myself play them (it's a torture for me).

Glad this post lured you out of lurk mode :)

Haha, thanks. Oh, and to add to my requirements for a LotA remake: an automap for dungeons. I have a horrible sense of direction, LOL.

I hate to look at screenshots of the game because in my minds eye LotA is a triple "A" quality game.

Oh, but it had AAA graphics for its day (considering its platform)! The years just haven't been kind, ROFL.

I'd like to see The Summoning remade. That one always fascinated me back in the days.

I also like the suggestion for Ravenloft Stone Prophet. That game had an unusual amount atmosphere for a game of that time period. I thought it was a really good effort.

To this day I can still hear the game's intro music playing in my head,

I know what you mean. I've woken up in the middle of the night with Ultima III's The Wanderer in my head too

To this day I still like it more than Stones

I once hosted a site regarding porting Ultima to other games and systems. The old Ultima.dot (the dot was the previous incarnation of rpgwatch) even listed it as one of their top 10 Ultima sites. They didn't even know I hung around the dot back then.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is I have in possession the mod I started porting Ultima III to Neverwinter Nights. I managed to clone the combat and overland system by having your single character represent your party, generating 1 to 8 monsters in combat you could run away from and successes creating chests with 1-99gp in them. Towns were represented by small houses I had on the grassland, and dark forests with thick fog.

I got bogged down in ships though. Those things turned on a dime and changing your visible character to one made you seem slow. I had begun work on the party system. Your PC's were meant to pop into combat then turn invisible or disappear. I even started work on a turn based combat system. The towns all regenerated their nice guards when you left - even after you killed them.

Back
Top Bottom