Legend of Grimrock 2 - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alright lets get started with a huge update for Legend of Grimrock 2. As most of you know the game in available on GOG, Steam, other online retailers.

Legend of Grimrock 2 is a dungeon crawling role playing game with a modern execution but an oldschool heart. A group of four prisoners have shipwrecked on the secluded Isle of Nex. The island is filled with ancient crumbled ruins, mysterious shrines and a vast underground network of dungeons and mines. If the prisoners wish to make it out alive, they have to overcome the challenges devised by the ominous mastermind of the island.
Not that that's out the way here are a few reviews for the game this week.

Pixelrelated - 9.5/10

It’s abundantly clear that Legend of Grimrock 2 had a lot of work put in to making it more than just a pallet swapped version of the original Grimrock. While the combat remains the same, adding an open world to it creates a feeling of immersion in the world that the original was sorely lacking.
Saving Content - 5/5

Legend of Grimrock 2 is not perfect, but the immersion and wonder that can be found on the Isle of Nex is incredible. From the moment you step foot on the beach, you are left to your devices. And this is where Legend of Grimrock 2 really excels, being a game about exploration and discovery at your own pace without being too punitive with the puzzles and combat that you have to endure. With elements of survival, makes this an absolute gem for 2014, and a surprise for anyone who doesn’t have this game on their radar.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - No Score Given

Everything in this sequel is bigger, more elaborate, more detailed, and absolutely better. Which, after such a lovely first game, is quite the thing. You will be able to sink days and days into this, and still come away with secrets undiscovered, doors unopened. And I think a real respect for a game that is not only itself phenomenally smart, but one that thinks you are too. It’s a joy, so splendidly crafted, so stuffed with original ideas and surprises. This isn’t nostalgia any more – it’s a massive step forward.
RPG Fan - 95/100

The original Grimrock had a child with Myst and it was kidnapped by Dark Souls II in its infancy and raised to adulthood in the graveyard of forgotten CRPGs. That's Grimrock II. And yet it has its own puzzling, riddling dungeon crawling magic. It's an intricate puzzle box hiding needles beneath its surface. It's a frightening force of nature, a storm of darkness and the things that crawl in it. It's a sphinx with starry eyes. The Legend of Grimrock II is a work of genius.
I'm sure more will be available and I'll be sure to post another roundup.

More information.

Couldn't resist and started it day-one…and i fell in love with it! They improved every aspect of the game : the design of the enviroments, the combat, the skills, the exploration…everything are better from the 1st game (which was good already)!

Been having a blast, literally, it's like i've traveled back in time. Although I haven't gone all the way and disabled the map, cant summon the courage to get my graph paper out and have reams of paper littering my computer desk again. :lol:

I still didn't even start Wasteland 2, LoG2 will simply have to wait till I get more time.
Glad it's getting great scores though!

Wow! Very nice reviews. Liked the most from Rock, Paper, Shotgun…only I can't overlook that the combat is not turn based, and that is why I did not finish the first Grimrock. But I might try out this new one.

Still real time combat and as heavy on puzzles?

If so I'll pass.

Wow! Very nice reviews. Liked the most from Rock, Paper, Shotgun…only I can't overlook that the combat is not turn based, and that is why I did not finish the first Grimrock. But I might try out this new one.

My thoughts exactly; I didn't finish the first game either but these reviews might force my hand and convince me to ignore my fears for clunky combat.

My thoughts exactly; I didn't finish the first game either but these reviews might force my hand and convince me to ignore my fears for clunky combat.

Yeah. It would be the perfect game if it where TB combat.
But the game really invites you to dive in and try it. Oh, the temptation.

I'm really conflicted about this one as I enjoyed the first game and finished it but when it was over I was glad it was. Had it been 5 hours or so longer I probably wouldn't have finished.

I really didn't have a problem with the combat, which surprised me because I expected to not like it. Spell casting was annoying though, having to remember multiple symbols in real time was annoying and as a result I pretty much only used it for puzzle solving.

Which brings me to the reason I'm conflicted. I didn't reall care for how many puzzles there were. I finished one just to immediately run into another. It actually broke up the enjoyment I was having just playing the game. Im afraid the endless puzzles will bog me down and I won't finish. Back tracking in a small dungeon is one thing back tracking all over an island is quite another.

I only read one review but it sounds like there are just as many if not more puzzles in this one, so I'm just not sure.

The rest sounds pretty good. I didn't see if the changed the magic system, did they?

I may buy it and just keep my iPad handy and look up any bothersome puzzles. Are there riddles and such this time or is it more find this item, push that button, pull a lever, hit spot with fireball, etc.

I really didn't have a problem with the combat, which surprised me because I expected to not like it. Spell casting was annoying though, having to remember multiple symbols in real time was annoying and as a result I pretty much only used it for puzzle solving.

Which brings me to the reason I'm conflicted. I didn't reall care for how many puzzles there were. I finished one just to immediately run into another. It actually broke up the enjoyment I was having just playing the game. Im afraid the endless puzzles will bog me down and I won't finish. Back tracking in a small dungeon is one thing back tracking all over an island is quite another.

I only read one review but it sounds like there are just as many if not more puzzles in this one, so I'm just not sure.

The rest sounds pretty good. I didn't see if the changed the magic system, did they?

I am 6 hours into the game and there are more puzzles and they are harder.There isn't lot of backtracking because solution is always near and there is also area called Hub which has portals connected to major areas.Besicly it's crossbreed between dungeon crawler and Myst.

I am 6 hours into the game and there are more puzzles and they are harder.There isn't lot of backtracking because solution is always near and there is also plays called Hub which has portals connected to major areas.

Ok, thx. Is the magic system still based on entering a sequence of symbols?

Yes, magic system is nearly same, but there are also specific weapons for mage and battle mage now.

Thx for the info. Doesn't make my decision any easier though.:)

I'll probably go the route of picking it up and keeping my iPad handy.

Thx for the info. Doesn't make my decision any easier though.:)

I'll probably go the route of picking it up and keeping my iPad handy.

Well I love the game so I think you should get it:).I liked original game but I wasn't thrilled with it as many other watchman but I am really loving LoG 2 it has been improved in every way.

Well I love the game so I think you should get it:).I liked original game but I wasn't thrilled with it as many other watchman but I am really loving LoG 2 it has been improved in every way.

Well, I did like the first as I said.

I will get it and just blame you if I don't like it.:lol:

I started it up last night with the default party and played for a bit. It feels pretty much exactly the same as LoG 1 which is a good thing imo. Graphically, it looks even better.

My only issue so far is the lack of anti-aliasing which seems to be a common thing lately. Why are so many games still being released with sub-par AA or no AA at all? I would think that shouldn't be an issue in this era of gaming, but it is. :-/

I enjoyed the first game and finished it but when it was over I was glad it was. Had it been 5 hours or so longer I probably wouldn't have finished

That final sequence was so dorky. And the big bad is…
A cube! A mean, robotic cube whose powers of rolling on top of people who fail to step out of the way so terrified the ancients that they built this entire massive dungeon with deadly traps to stop people from wandering down to the bottom and getting rolled on top of.

Very strange and disappointing final half hour. The rest of the game was great.

Of course, I did cheat on almost every single puzzle. My steam achievements are a lie.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom