Fallout 3 - Changes to German Version

Dhruin

SasqWatch
After the ridiculous "banned in Australia" hysteria, a low-key reaction to Germany apparently requiring changes to Fallout 3. A quote from PR agent Sam Brace from NMA:
It still isn't clear how much will be cut out, but shooting heads and body parts off will definitely NOT be possible. The explanation for this was to make the age classification easier for the USK and to not risk indexing of the game (which would mean that it is not allowed to advertise the game in the media).
More information.

hmm..this sounds like a buyable version. I wonder if its available in English.

hmm..this sounds like a buyable version. I wonder if its available in English.

With some games they leave the original soundtrack in as an option, but it is very unlikely with a speach heavy game like this.

Piracy Warning!

And because of this, lot of germans are going to download the "full version" from web, instead of buying the cut version.

I would imagine that the game has a "gore" slider; i.e. if you don't want to watch eyeballs rolling down the street, you can switch that off. They usually do, don't they?

I would imagine that the game has a "gore" slider; i.e. if you don't want to watch eyeballs rolling down the street, you can switch that off. They usually do, don't they?

That's not enough to get past stupid policies.

It's okay to watch blown up bodies at prime time in the news, but being violent in virtual all drawn worlds hell no! We have to protect our kids! Imagine their awe if they found out virtual worlds are actually as violent and ugly as reality! Oh my that would be terrible!

Anyway, there should be a relatively simple way to play a less gory FO3 in english: don't pick the Bloody Mess perk :)

It's a game. Why does it have to have shooting heads off in the first place?

wtf

That's disapointing. Not because i actually like shooting heads or limbs off, but in my opinion that adds to a complete and realistic feeling. Whenever i experience bounds in a rpg the illusion is gone. And so when i'll play this game and f.e want to put an enemy ooa by shooting his weapon hand off and can't do so, this will be a real downer. I hope they put out a USK 18 version too

I bet they will. It´s described in the newsbit. ;)

It's a game. Why does it have to have shooting heads off in the first place?

Come to think of it, why does it have to have shooting at all? Why don't they make a post-apocalyptic, grim, darkly humorous cRPG where everybody's just... you know, *nice* to each other?

Come to think of it, why does it have to have shooting at all? Why don't they make a post-apocalyptic, grim, darkly humorous cRPG where everybody's just... you know, *nice* to each other?

Too scary!

"Nice" is for whiners. ;)

That's disapointing. Not because i actually like shooting heads or limbs off, but in my opinion that adds to a complete and realistic feeling.

Uhm. When was the last time you actually saw someone shooting limbs and heads off, outside of an action movie?

I don't believe it is easy to cut someone's limbs off. There's meat, and bones, and muscles, and chords attatched to them - all of them trying their best to keep all limbs together.

In an explosion, yes, that's relatively easy. But just swords, for example ... ? There would be at least some bone holding your strike off, althought the wound would be nasty.

At least until you've got some very, very strong strenth, so to say. You've really got to saw through a bone, and that is not easy at all, as far as I know.

Well, and it depends on how thick the bone actually is, of course. A chicken's bone is much easier to saw through than a bull's bone.

For the rest of the world that would make sense, but not for a (German) version required to be kid-proof...

@ghan

Bethsoft has already made sarcastic replies to the request to have a slider in it for language and violence. I believe the original had them because of the concerns Steve Jackson had before and after he took his name off the game.

At the very least, maybe this will cause Beth to change their minds and rework the code to allow for it on the English version. At the very least it would maintain a tradition and connection to the first two. I'm not holding out for any hope for it - I believe Beths main priority is just getting it out to meet a deadline for the Christmas season.

Zloth looks at his censored Witcher

I wish I could point and laugh at the Germans on this. {sigh}

Sacred came with an "extra chunky" gore setting for Germany, which was initially disabled for the US, then the art assets completely patched out after players found out how to re-enabled it.

Fallout 3 in the US comes with the "extra chunky" gore setting, while Germany has the kinder, gentler deaths.

Am I missing something? This flip-flop isn't making much sense to me. Was Sacred's gore setting only for Europe in general and disabled in Germany?

Back
Top Bottom