Splinter Cell - Conviction

Gametrailers has the E3 Press Conference for SC: Conviction with lots of gameplay footage. And it looks amazing. I love how action-packed, atmospheric and immersive it turned out. And love the projection-method of showing flash-backs and stuff. Looks cool as hell.

Link: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-splinter-cell/50194

Here's the full gameplay footage in 2 parts.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-splinter-cell/50114
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-splinter-cell/50137

On a, kinda related note, here's the Alan Wake Gameplay Demo from E3. Didn't want to start a new thread just for that.

Last edited:
Gameplay looks promising. UbiSoft has been good at coming up with new gameplay elements lately. Unfortunately, games often turned out to be 15 hours of replaying the same mission.

Anyone else notice how remarkably similar SC:Conviction and Assassin's Creed 2 are? That is, in terms of gameplay mechanics.
Take a look at the "environmental interaction" sequences from each E3 preview. Note how similar the climbing/scaling mechanics are. I mean, the animations are identical. You will also see the same movements when it comes to the much-touted feature of AC2, the ability to grab enemies when on a ledge and pull them over. The EXACT same motion is used in this very preview of Splinter Cell.
Also, the automation of aiming seems too much like the "cinematic" (read: automatic) combat system of AC: you press a button on occasion, then sit back and watch the action unfold. I mean, really, since when did it become so difficult to aim? Do we really need a system that removes you even further from the actual game?
Oh, don't get me wrong, it seems interesting and all...just, more like a movie and less of a game. What's more, the blatant similarities in gameplay make it appear like Ubi is creating the same thing twice, just changing up the setting.

Well, if the strategic choices become more interesting, the game can benefit from autoaiming. It's a simple choice of what kind of game you want to design. Or did you ever miss having to aim yourself in Jagged Alliance?

Of course, if this game turns out to be a shooter just with less aiming, the decision might be fatal.

It looks great, hopefully the auto-aim is because he's playing it on a console.

Or did you ever miss having to aim yourself in Jagged Alliance?
What kind of comparison is that?!?!?
Have you played the other Splinter Cell games? You aim when you want to shoot. Have you played games that are actually similar to the SC series. Once more, you aim when you want to shoot. Have you played games that feature real-time action with firearms...need I say it again?
I understand where you are coming from and I can appreciate that this particular design decision may well allow the narrative to play center-stage, yet, even so, citing JA is just insane.

To whit: apples and oranges, mate, apples and oranges.

It looks great, hopefully the auto-aim is because he's playing it on a console.
Seconded.
Personally, I enjoy having the option to take a man down just as slow or swift as I desire and, most importantly, can accomplish on my own. What's more, making that quick headshot or two for the perfect entrance is far more rewarding when the process is not automated.
It appears to be an optional mechanic, however, my fear is that (as so often happens with these sort of things) scenarios will be arranged that are otherwise impossible to beat, save you use their auto-aim-watch-me-be-cool feature.

I played the first three Splinter Cell games, thank you :) I used Jagged Alliance to make a point, not because I think the games are similar. Certain tactical choices won't work if you have to do all the manual work, so it's a trade-of.

No offense, but I find your degree of "WTF Dude!" outrage somewhat amusing :)

Back
Top Bottom