The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

What Goes Up is not really that difficult. I did it on my arti with 3 other guildies and we finished without too many problems.

Since team A is ahead of team B then I propose team A try it with just 4. Then 2 from team A can help team B when team B is ready to do What Goes Up.

The main problem in What Goes Up is the end fight (5 phases). If you stay put you allow the assassins to take you out. So moving around is the key to completing the quest. So you need a little different strategy. The quest up to the end fight is not that difficult.

Being able to self heal is important to survive the end fight. Maybe everyone could stock up on 10 silver flame pots as emergency heals and maybe twist in rejuvenation cocoon. It also helps to stay in a pretty decent epic destiny.

Are we taking level 24 after we have completed What Goes Up or do we want to run e. g. the Amrath quests on heroic elite? Those are also level 19 on normal.
The intent was to take 24 after we finish the Storm Horns. EDITH notes that the Old Man still has some work to do before getting 24, IIRC.

We hadn't really discussed what was next, but we've got plenty of choices. Shindl-whatever is level 22. Although there's less restrictions for XP in epic, there are still some penalties we could avoid. That means we might want to look at some of the epic "versions": eSpinner, eRed Fens, eDesert. The group dabbled with eRed Fens when it came out, but I don't think the majority of us have touched the other stuff. I'd like to give some of that content a swing. I'd vote for eSpinner first.

Last edited:
What is the plan for today's Friday run?

If I remember correctly team A managed to finish the first 4 Stormhorns quests on heroic elite to open the last quest in the chain (What Goes Up).

The info I have is that team B wiped twice on the third quest (Breaking the Ranks). The fourth quest (A Break in the Ice) is pretty easy so team B should be able to finish that without outside help.

Maybe we can do something like this:
Team B gets help from Cm (cleric) and Azraelck (druid) to finish Breaking the Ranks on heroic elite. In the mean time the remaining people of team A (Corwin and I) can run DA epic normal for XP and tokens.

Once team B + 2 people has finished Breaking the Ranks Cm and Azraelck join team A to finish What Goes Up. Team B finishes A Break in the Ice.

Then team A do a single epic quest somewhere while Team B finishes What Goes Up. Examples could be Don't drink the water or in the Belly of the Beast. Then both teams should be in sync again.

What is the plan after we have completed Stormhorns heroic elite? Starting on the 4 Sschindylryn quests or swap to the level 8's doing level 6 quests?
This seems like as good a plan as anything else.

The very first toon for an account HAS to do Korthos I'm pretty sure. Any toon after has option to quit early.

Quite probable. It has been ages since I had a truly new character.

Not everyone (read, pretty much all of us) has ground out every destiny. Most, in fact, I expect have not even opened up Primal unless they were there prior to TRing. I specifically ground out access to Shiradi before TRing Mirys, but have yet to step into Primal.

I think it best if we take Corwin and Peter's advice, and double up on some of us. Both Breaking the Ranks and What Goes Up are immeasurably easier with effective CC, which this group lacks multiples of.

Note about future TRing, we should seriously consider having two Druids along for the ride.

Code:
 Vanguard: A new tree is now available for Fighters and Paladins! (NOTE: The numbers are not yet finalized, and are subject to change.) The enhancement tree is as follows:

Innate (Core) Abilities
        1 AP: To the Fore: While you have a shield equipped, gain +1 to hit and damage with your main hand weapon and with your shield bash attacks.
        5 AP, Class Level 3: Shield Combat I:
            +10% chance to make a secondary shield bash.

10 AP, Class Level 6: Vicious Shield:
            While you have a shield equipped, +5% Combat Style bonus to Melee Attack Speed.

20 AP, Class Level 12: Shield Combat II:
            Your shield gains +1(W).

30 AP, Class Level 18: Vicious Shield II:
            Your shield gains +1 critical threat range, +1 critical multiplier, and +1(W).

40 AP, Class Level 20: Shield Champion:
            While you have a shield equipped, gain +2 attack, +2 damage, +5% Doublestrike, +5% Combat Style bonus to Melee Attack Speed.
            Your shield gains +1(W).
            Your shield bashes stun enemies 5% of the time. DC(10 + 1/2 Character Level + Strength Mod + Stunning Bonuses).

Tier One (0 AP Required)
        Shield Specialization: While you have a shield equipped, gain +1 to hit, damage, and armor class. Passive
        No Weakness: +1/+2/+3 Fortitude Saving Throw. Passive
        Unbalancing Shove: When you shield bash, damaged enemies get -1 to Saving Throws for 2/4/6 seconds.
        Shield Smash: While you have a shield equipped, Activate: Melee attack with your shield for +1/2/3(W) damage. On damage, your PRR and MRR are increased by 2/4/6 for 12 seconds. Cooldown is 16/12/8 seconds.
        Armor Training: +1/2/3 to Balance, Intimidate, Jump. Reduce skills penalties for armor and shield by 1/2/3. Passive

Tier Two (5 AP Required)
        Shield Specialization: While you have a shield equipped, gain +1 to hit, damage, and armor class.
        Brutality: +1/+2/+3 to the DC of stunning abilities.
        Stunning Shield: While you have a shield equipped, Activate: Melee shield bash attack with your shield for +1/2/3[W] attack. This attack stuns enemies unless they make a Fortitude saving throw vs DC(10 + Highest Ability Score Modifier + Character Level + Stunning Bonus). Cooldown 60/45/30 seconds. Stun duration 6 seconds.
        Action Boost: Melee Power: +10/20/30% Action Boost bonus to Melee Power for 20 seconds. Usable 5 times per rest.
        Missile Shield: While you have a shield equipped, gain the benefits of the Deflect Arrows feat, knocking aside one incoming projectile that would have struck you every 6/4/2 seconds. (Antireq Tempest or Swashbuckler Deflect Arrows) Passive

Tier Three
        Shield Specialization: While you have a shield equipped, gain +1 to hit, damage, and armor class.
        Follow Up: When you hit an enemy with certain activated stunning abilities (Stunning Blow, Stunning Shield) your melee power is increased by 3/6/9 for 12 seconds whether the stun works or not.
        Fatal Bulwark: Your shield gains +1 critical threat range.
        Shield Riposte: When missed in melee while wearing a shield: Deals 1d4/1d6/1d8 bludgeoning damage to your attacker. Scales with melee power.
        STR/DEX

Tier Four
        (NOTE: Shield Charge is not currently working on Lamannia): Shield Charge: While you have a shield equipped, Activate: Rush forward up to 30 feet to your selected opponent and deliver a shield attack that hits everything in a around you. Each opponent is knocked down and takes a shield bash attack for +1/2/3[W] damage. The saving throw for the knockdown attack is 20 + Highest Attribute Mod + Class Level + bonuses to trip attacks. Ranks improve cooldown
        Myrmidon’s Edge: Passive +1/2/3 to attack rolls to confirm critical hits and damage on critical hits (before weapon multipliers) .
        STR/DEX

Tier Five
        Shield Rush: While you have a shield equipped, Activate: Move forward in a line, delivering a shield bash attack to every creature hit. This shield bash does +2/4/6[W] damage. Rank improves cooldown
        Disorienting Smash: When you shield bash, damaged enemies gain 1 stack of Vulnerability. This can occur at most once every 3/2/1 seconds.
        Vulnerability: You take 1% more damage for 3 seconds. This effect stacks up to 20 times, and loses one stack on expiration.
        Shield To The Face: +10% chance to make a secondary shield bash.
        Armored Strength: +10 Melee Power

At a closer glance, it looks like you'll be getting most of the SWF attack speed with the cores, and a decent chunk of shield bash proc chance (up to 75% chance from various shield feats and some stuff in Defender). Unfortunately, the shield bash is only once every second apparently.

This should bring S&B closer to in-line with the other fighting styles in raw dps, though I haven't done any math or testing to see how close the gap is. I'm certain there's already tons of complaining.

Between this and the Armor pass, S&B might be very popular very soon.

I get a message that this character does not exist?!! Are you sure you are on Khyber server?

Sent an invite to "Akishma" and it appeared to go through. Please check Akishma's mail when you next get into game. Once out of Korthos, of course.

Once you get in, check the guild chest, some of us put a few items in you might find useful.

Great, but I wonder why I had a problem with the invite. Try not to get lost as you wander around the ship, it's easy to do!! :)

I got the tour by a very nice woman. Julianna, I think. Probably misspelled it.

Those buffs made my quests just a tad bit easier, it was nice as I was getting tired of being killed.

Went ahead and ordered me some decent headphones today as my laptop speakers were not working very well with being able to hear her voice. They are supposed to have a mic as well but I didn't see a boom on them. If not I'll buy one of those as well.

Oh yeah, I'll pick up VIP today also.

Anything in the store to spend points on that you all find worthwhile?

If you go VIP, you shouldn't be spending that many points. Depending on what type of toon you ended up building, you might want a rogue hireling which is only available for Turbine points at the DDO store or for astral shards (which are, strangely enough, only available for Turbine points at the DDO store). Other useful items you can purchase: ship beacons (for when you're just too lazy to run all the way back to the guild ship), Siberys cakes (for when you have the poor manners to get soul stoned), bells of opening (knock spell in an item) and secret door twigs (detect secret doors in an item).

Since all that stuff can be bought on the fly as needed, mid-adventure, I wouldn't stock up ahead of time.

You got the tour from Aletys who not only knows her way around the ship, but who has nearly 100 toons to act as mules for her crafting!! :) If anyone else is online when you are, (press 'O' go to guild and click on 'Last On' ) send them a Tell and they'll likely be delighted to assist you, or run with you. People like JM (who's on 16-20 hours a day) have memorised every map in the game!!

Actually, you can get Astral Shards without paying a cent (or point, in ViP's case).

They rarely drop in silver rolls, likely more often/more shards in Gold rolls. You can also very rarely pick up astral diamonds, which are obsolete but still in the loot table (I pulled one not very long ago). These can be crunched into shards.

Once you get a few, you can play the ASAH for more. I've done a little bit, mostly dropping plain stat and skill items for cheap.

There's two classes you don't get as ViP IIRC, Favored Soul and Artificer. Because they can be unlocked in game as favor rewards. Of course, this may have changed, I really don't know at this point for sure. Most of the guild isn't fond of Favored Souls, but I think all of us have ran at least one Artificer to 20+ once or twice, and The Savage Dragon (Aletys) has around 30 of them. Very interesting class, with new options for it coming in U23. I liked my old Favored Soul, but I haven't ran one in a long while. Not entirely sure the build would work these days.

I think Corwin and I are the last ViP hold outs. Quite honestly, I should have gone ViP, but by the time I made that decision, I'd already picked up most of the packs, races, and classes via point purchases.

I'm coming from LoTRO where VIP and points was pretty useful so I expected it to be the same here.

I only bought the 3 months VIP pack so will just not renew if its not useful.

thanks all

Back
Top Bottom