Starpoint Gemini 2 - Review Roundup #2

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here are three more reviews I managed to find this week for Starpoint Gemini 2.

PC Gamer - 80/100

What I enjoy about Starpoint Gemini 2 is its willingness to leave me alone in the universe it puts on display, while also using careful and dynamic design to ensure there’s always a new goal to chase after. Most satisfying is that I get to decide what kind of adventurer I want to be: the crusty freighter captain, the fly-by-night smuggler, or the faction outcast. It’s all there to play. SG2 gives me a dynamic backdrop, great visuals, and thoughtful music so I can build my off-world identity. It’s where I want to be.
Strategy Informer - 7.5/10

Maybe Starpoint Gemini 2's universe doesn't always feel as alive as it could, but it's still an enjoyable place to spend your time. I love the freedom, the lack of restriction on what you can or can't do. The touchstone influences here are clearly games like Freelancer and Privateer, and SG2 gives you that same sense that the galaxy is your playground. The campaign isn't up to much, the interactions between various factions are simplistic and missions occasionally feel repetitive, but the game largely nails that feeling of being a grizzled starship captain who doesn't play by the rules, making his living any way he can. And also that feeling of being in charge of a fleet of warships laying waste to the innocent. Both are pretty fun.
COG - 82/100

Starpoint Gemini 2 caters to a specific audience and it does this very well. Aside from some minor flaws, this series really has come a long way with their second iteration. Thanks to all the upgrades, the developers had me lost in my own little world. Hours slipped past me as I hopped from station to station selling merchandise and fulfilling contracts. I could spend days just completing missions, let alone all the story quests there are to check out. If you enjoy Science Fiction and are looking for a way to kill some time this winter, you should definitely pick up Starpoint Gemini 2. It might take a bit of time and effort, but once you’re past the initial start up process you’ll soon be in for a treat.
More information.

I've been kind of looking for a modern space sim in the vein of Freelancer or Privateer (or Wing Commander III and IV!!!) but after seeing the low critic reviews for the first Starpoint Gemini, I didn't expect much from this. Good to see it well-received, I might have to check this out some day!

I've been kind of looking for a modern space sim in the vein of Freelancer or Privateer (or Wing Commander III and IV!!!) but after seeing the low critic reviews for the first Starpoint Gemini, I didn't expect much from this. Good to see it well-received, I might have to check this out some day!

The original starpoint was actually very good as a base game. It lacked graphics and polish. Although it was dull to play for the first 3 hours it soon becomes a great game.
It seems the devs have learnt a lot from the first game.

This game I haven't really dug into yet...runs a bit like a pig though.

The "strategy informer" review is similar to how I would review this game. The universe doesn't feel very alive. For instance, star bases are just trading screens, no sense of taking/defending territory, no interaction with other ships other than combat unless it involves campaign dialog (which is on rails).

Balancing all this is that the combat is darn good, which makes the game hard to ignore. Commanding capital ships, fighter wings, henchman-ships, boarding, side turrets vs. front, etc, all add for a rich combat experience -- best I've played in this genre.

If I could merge two games, it would be the life-like universe of space rangers HD, and the combat of this game.

Back
Top Bottom