PoE Pillars of Eternity - Pax Prime Retrospective Panel

Pillars of Eternity

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well seems Obsidian inflamed the Linux community when lead producer Brandon Adler said that Linux development hadn't been worthwhile in the panel.

Reddit Link - https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gami..._the_linux_version_for_poe_around_one/cumfr5j
I'm one of the founders at Obsidian, and I definitely don't regret us supporting Linux on PoE. I'm admittedly biased as a Linux fanboy myself though.

We signed up to do it during our Kickstarter campaign as a stretch goal. I think [PoE's lead producer] Brandon's feeling was more from the trials and tribulations of setting it all up and problems we ran into during development. For example, it was harder to develop in Linux because Unity didn't support the tools at the time. Debugging was painful, but ultimately, we got it done, learned a bunch from the process, and now Linux is now fully supported in Unity. FWIIW, we don't have any plans to not continue developing on Linux!
Forum Link - http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81598-devs-thanks-for-the-linux-support/#entry1726009
Hey, guys. I probably could have chosen my words better than I did. I wasn't trying to upset any of our Linux supporters and I didn't mean to belittle their support. I love all of our backers and I appreciate all of their help.

We basically had to build our Linux infrastructure from scratch on our side. It wasn't something we were used to. It was also painful for us to develop in Linux because the Unity tools didn't support Linux at the time. This meant that we were unable to debug on the platform.

Now that we have gone through the process of creating these builds it is something that will be much easier for us in the future. Pair that with SteamOS, Steam Controller, and Steam Machine and I think Linux's future is good with PoE games.
Well if you put what Brandon Adler said into perspective the game only has a very small minority of Linux players so I agree with them. So it's not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom