Diablo 3 - Monk Class Revealed

Along with the Monk class announcement, certain sites also claims that Blizzard announced that Diablo 3 has been delayed untill 2011. Can anyone confirm that?

Hmm, not sure if this is new, but in the interview with the D3 producer/designer, he mentioned couple of things that caught my attention:

- Same kind of random loot system as in D2, but every player will get his/her own loot. I think currently the drops are shared by everyone in the party right?

- Changes in, possibly removal of, "magic find" so that people won't have to gimp themselves to get items!!! YESSS!

Along with the Monk class announcement, certain sites also claims that Blizzard announced that Diablo 3 has been delayed untill 2011. Can anyone confirm that?

Mike M said it wouldn't be out before SC2 or Cataclysm I believe.

Mike M said it wouldn't be out before SC2 or Cataclysm I believe.

Yeah, that's pretty certain. Last year they said they were barely finishing up the first act, out of 4 that will be in the final game. It's gonna take them a bunch to finish the actual content, and then spend some more time on balancing & stuff.

Btw, here's another video, this one's pretty long, going at 11 minutes. Someone might have posted it before, not sure though. So here it is just to make sure.

EDIT: Wow, the monk is definitely my favorite character so far. He just oozes of awesomeness. And looks really fun to play.

My guess and hope is that the next (and final?) class will be some sort of bow user. Bows are as essential to such a game as a sword wielding warrior and a spellcasting mage - like the trinity used in Diablo 1. If it's not a ranger of some kind, I'm going to be a very sad panda. So far my favorite is still the wizard class though.

I'm hoping the final class is a ranger too. With archery and animal companion skill trees :)

To me it looks like they're reworking and including new variables of the old classes, witch doctor for necromancer, wizard for sorceress, etc--they're all different of course, but they fit into the slots, so I agree, they have yet to do anything with the Amazon and that would seem a natural. I'd also like to see some of the Druid class worked in there somewhere--companion animals sounds perfect.

Monk class ? It's kind of retro gaming, isn't it ? Because of the Hellfire Add-On.

I agree about having a range and pet type class in there. I'd like to see something like a gnomish tinkerer, with various clockwork pets, traps, bombs, and range weapons. Rather than looting the actual items maybe he(or she) could loot random schematics for a general type of construction (flying attack clockwork pet, ground attack clockwork pet, support/buff clockwork pet, short-range auto-hammer, long-range gun, etc.) then the actual built item might be random(therefore another surprise) as well, like flying clockwork pet with ice attack vs. flying clockwork pet with fire-attack, etc. Eventually you'd have various pets and weapons to select from based on tacticical need. Rather than looting gem upgrades, there'd be sockets for rare looted parts...

Maybe not very "Diablo" but I'd like to see it regardless.

A Monk! Yes! Finally a game other than D&D that I can finally play my favorite class
Hopefully some good hand to hand damage

I remember my first experience with Battlenet on Diablo, Logged on and was gouped with a guy that gave me some gear than proceded to kick my my but just for fun. Back then there was no agreeing to PVP: it wa always on and you dropped everything upon death. Was very scary knowing you were running for your life upon login

FYI, the D3 development panel is coming up. So time to tune in to the stream :)

I wonder what theyre gonna give us Amazons. I'm not really into the melee classes, but this class looks pretty cool. Last pnp game i played a 3.5 monk, it was pretty fun

Hm, all these classes seem nice, but I've just realised, I have yet to see a class that would immediately make me say: "Ooh, I want to play *this* one first!"

What's your favorite archetype in other RPGs, then? Mine are Ranger/Archer, followed by arcane mages (since WoW). Like Sam I'm not really into the melee (or pet) classes.

Although my "Ooh, I want to play *this* one first!" class would be some sort of Air Wizard or Airbender (like the Avatar), because that's my favorite element. Sort of a "ranged monk". The Druid from D2 (was it the Druid with hurricane and stuff?) came close to that ideal, but not close enough.

Come to think of it, are there any games with such a class?

Last edited:
I enjoy the melee warrior type, but the Barbarian is too... barbaric. I always like a little magic. Therefore, the first class I played in D2 was the Paladin... of course, it ended up not being my favorite one, but still.

Yes, it was the Druid who had hurricane magic, and to be honest, I would probably choose this class right away, if it was available that is, although I liked his shapeshifting side much more than his magic.

Can't think of any games with a strictly air-type wizard at the moment.

I liked the Druid also--big surprise there--but I thought his magic user side was way underdeveloped compared to the massive boosts he got from shapeshifting. The only thing really effective he had magic-wise were the buffs--Heart of Oak and so forth. The actual hurricane spells were pretty underpowered compared to the other spellcasting available in the game, and his summoning skills weren't on par with the necromancer's. It would be cool to see this rebalanced along Arhu's lines, but for the fifth character this time, I'm hoping it's a ranger/Amazon variation.

Ah, yes, it was the shapeshifting part of the Druid that I didn't like, and the fact that his spells were relatively underpowered.

Back
Top Bottom