YouTube Comments

Well, there is this Swedish guy who had the most subscribers in the entire world on youtube, who posts a lot of stupid videos about him screaming while playing scary video games, he is called pewdiepie or something. I think he finally ended up closing comments, even if he lost subscribers for it..... I guess maybe youtube would need to walk the path of facebook ( which is kind of sad because Internet loses some of it's point ) by forcing people to use their real names when commenting.

No, I wouldn't generalize. There's of course a ton more crap comments, because YT comments are not moderated like in a traditional www forum. I don't care about childish/bullshit/racist whatever crap because it's just the internet.
But I have seen some good and knowledgeable discussion there. Regrettably! Because where the traditional fora fail (e.g. there is no decent german language ArmA community for various reasons), discussions are cluttered over Youtube comments.

I would just turn off the ability to leave comments on youtube. If the majority are garbage then its not worth your time to moderate them. I never read youtube comments myself as they have become dumb for quite a while now.

No. most of you are being incredibly lazy and short-sighted.

Youtube uses comment numbers as one of their guides to popularity ($) and by having a gazzillion crappy comments, each retard is making you richer, you can sit back and laugh at the irony of a million people saying "I just wasted 5 minutes of my life" while you pick up the check.

Secondly, YOU are the moderator of your comment section for YOUR YOUtube channel. The interface is easy to use and if you don't like a comment you can just blitz it to hell with the click of a button.

Totalbiscuit might be a great guy, but he has a streak in him, like all people who love the sound of their own voice, you know the trait... reactionary... and slightly in love with themselves but with a deep seated sense of negative self-image (he's a fatty), which makes him more prone to overreact to the slightest jibe. This is nothing against his great vids, but it's part of HIS YOUtube...

If you want freedom of speech characters, check out Amazing Atheist or Thunderf00t, both are pretty much not so bright individuals, but are improving with age, and they've put up with and even encourage freedom of commenting and have done for almost a decade. Why are these apparent idiots still standing after all these years? Cos they aint... lazy...

Well the following video sums up what the internet has turned into.:cool:

I think I'm going to stop reading comments on most websites I visit from now.

Blitz it to hell...kind of like how I just blitzed you to my ignore list, lackblogger! It was a long time coming. Enjoy your stay! :)

Holy cow...

one day thumbs up, the next day ignore list...

mood-swings2.jpg

Seriously guys, why are you even suggesting it Youtube's problem that bad commenting exists? It's called Youtube because it's a site which allows you to create YOUr own channel.

How would you like it if Youtube told you what people could or couldn't write on YOUr channel, you'd be outraged at the restriction of your freedom of speech would you not?

Youtube could go down the path of having automatic bans on specific words, such as the N word or the F word, but then it just becomes a fiasco when words like Blue Tit (a common UK bird) suddenly turns into Blue %&"% like on many sites which offer such a service.

You might have a view that the negative comments outweigh the positive, but on many channels I watch you can browse the comments and not see a single crappy comment out of hundreds, and these vids have thousands of regular viewers.

You seem awfully touchy. I'm loathe to suspect that you are viewing some comments out of proportion because they conflict with your opinion.

Some youtube videos have almost zero hating and trolling. Music for Geezers, for example. It is rare to avoid at least one crapper, though. Gaming videos and new pop songs, gah. It's kindergarden time…

I think the desire to post negatively outweighs positive comments for the younger crowd. Plus there's the trolls that enjoy getting a reaction out of people.

If i was posting some kind of videos on youtube, i'd just block the comment section. It makes life so much easier, not having to deal with crap and crappy posters. I don't see any value in that kind of communication, be it honest or not. I've grown tired of dealing that. I just don't bother reading youtube comments anymore, because chances of running into trolls is quite high on youtube. Videos relating world news, history or politics are the worst. Gaming and music videos aren't much better.

I can somehow understand that discussing something like global politics or news on youtube is truly a lost cause, but even when listening some great song or watching one of those great lets play videos which both should be pretty easy going subjects, there will be always plenty of trolls and kids posting hatefull shit just because they can. Why do something like? Whats the point?

Once again this reminds me of the old saying that few rotten appels spoill the barrel.

Last edited:
I think comments can be left on.
The best way to foster a good YT community on a channel as far as I have seen is to respond to people's questions and talk about the subscribers during live streams.

Zemallf for example answers almost all questions on his channel (or at least he used to).
Quill18 talks about his subscribers during his livestreams and tries to meet people when he can.

I think this helps build up the good part of the community and reduces the % of trolls.

YT comments section usually learn a lot, and often, it is better to read the comments than to watch the videos.

Video makers, unsurprisingly, despize people they depend on to make money. It is nothing unusual, a widespread behaviour that is observed in many other places.
They often use derogative terms like couch players, offscreen warriors etc to belittle their viewers.

Comments do not come from teenagers only. The saddest comments are made by viewers who have not yet understood or cant accept that they do not sit to watch quality gaming, but an entertainer using video games as a platform to elaborate their show.
They keep cringing over the bad gameplay they observe, and keep tipping the video maker, as they do not understand that this poor quality of play is part of the show, a way the entertainer to stage themselves and make them their show.

Many comments in that department, all valuable tips, but so useless as the entertainer has no use for them and will keep disregard them as providing quality gaming is not the objective.

Well, there is this Swedish guy who had the most subscribers in the entire world on youtube, who posts a lot of stupid videos about him screaming while playing scary video games, he is called pewdiepie or something. I think he finally ended up closing comments, even if he lost subscribers for it…..

This YTer is a master of his art so this move and the reinstituting of comments coming later might be part of the plan.

Many video makers try to instill a false sense of community between themselves and their viewership. This man manages to instill that feeling on millions of people, all waiting on the sidelines hoping that one day, their name will be mentioned by the man in one vid, all considering themselves as a member of a community.
In the past, kings had hundreds of courtisans waiting in the antichamber to get favours. They are outclassed.
This man is a well deserved success.

So, moral of the story? Maybe we should all try to leave thoughtful comments on YT videos. Maybe you will inspire someone else to do the same! :)
Well, I always try to leave constructive and thoughtful comments on YT but that often ends with flame wars or the likes. The only commenting on comments I used to appreciate were those made by Grace Elbig… ;)
Still you know what ? Your video are too long ! :D

Back
Top Bottom