Gothic 3 Demo released

I really didn't know what hit me in that opening fight, and like everyone, I suppose, didn't have a clue about the controls, but after running for my life after mysteriously losing my sword, I managed to switch to bow and arrows. How to make the newbies hate your game...

Not just newbies. :mad:

At least in the opening sequence, you can't be killed. Sure, losing your sword is a pain, but you'll get it back and eventually, you'll have a lot of loot and if you join in, experience to start you off. It's actually a mini-tutorial.

I played the demo today, demo's version is 1.9 and running perfectly. The weird thing is i have the European version and i could'nt start the game until i installed the demo. Full version can not install visual basic library properly while demo can. So, i can play full version now but it is 1.7. I must update it to latest patch because 1.7 is full of bugs.

Well after two hours my pc finally downloaded the demo and last night I got to play for about 2 or 3 hours. My first impressions are in stark contrast to Todd's so here are my responses in comparison.

Runs very badly as expected (3.2Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, x850 XT) with pauses 1-3 seconds at times. I can play Oblivion smoothly.

On this point, we have similar experienes. One of my pc's is an intel Intel 3.4ee with 2GB of RAM and an ATI X800. Gothic 3 video is set to 1600 x 1200 and game detail is on 'medium.' On this machine, I experiences stutters and pauses occasionally. But really, it isn't anything unusual compared with my 25 years of game... new games that push current hardware almost always have poor and inconsistent framerates.

I have a 2nd PC that is an Intel 3.2 with 2GB of RAM and an ATI X1900. Gothic 3 video is set to 1600 x 1200 and game detail is on 'high.' This machine actually runs about the same with only slightly better 'perceived' framerates and a draw distance a little further out (since game detail is on high.' Stutters and pauses still occur. Again, nothing that would really cause me to dwell on this point too much during gameplay.

Compared to Oblivion, the stuttering and pauses are really about the same. I think my experience is slightly better than Todd's because of the extra 1GB of RAM.

- Melee combat feels totally disconnected compared to G1/G2. Tactically useless control scheme in my opinion. In addition, if I didnt see a small spray of blood I would have no clue that I even hit my opponent. Hit detection is rediculously bad.

On this point I will admit right up front that when it comes to RPGs, my personal priority of interest is with the story, adventuring, quest solving, character development, and then, finally, combat. Much like I don't care for cell phones too much, I realize my priority of interests as they relate to RPGs is in the minority by a huge margin. That said, combat did seem a little 'whispy' meaning that I just sorta clicked my mouse button and my sword swished thru bodies in the same manner it swished thru the air when i missed my target. I just don't get too excited over combat... it's necessary to enjoy the improvements to your character and his equipment but on this point I just sorta shrug... combat just isn't a huge deal for me. I can see how people who really can get into the combat aspects of the game might be a little disappointed in this area especially since the recetly released Oblivion did such a better job in this department.

Terrible place to start the game, getting knocked down and losing your weapon before you even get your bearings. Minor issue I guess.

I really don't enjoy the experience of RPGs that start you out in the middle of a combat situation. I don't like it in G3. I didn't like it with Ultima VI. However once I realized that neither my character nor any of the other village characters with real names were going to die, I relaxed, followed the on-screen hints as they appeared, and enjoyed it for what it was worth.

Losing weapon "feature" is rediculous and frustrating

I didn't experience this. What are you talking about?

at first glance the landscape looks worse than Oblivion and manages to be just as "generic". Of course I've only seen near town.

I disagree on this point. The village area, the beach, the rebel camp, and some of the terrain between the starting village and the town that is encapsulated inside a dome all seemed varied and interesting to me and quite detailed... on both my X800 and X1900 machines.

As soon as I left town, it crashed - memory allocation of course.

I didn't experience any crashes during gameplay. However, when I quit playing on my X1900, the game locked up my machine on the 'Gothic 3 Coming On November 20th' screen requiring a hard boot to resolve.

OTHER COMMENTS

1) I experienced a weird graphical glitch on my X800 machine when standing in the area near Diego and the other characters from G2. It was like a weird clipping situation where my view pitched straight up and the screen flickered very fast. Moving away from Deigo resovled it and it did not repeat when I went back to Diego.

2) I'm used to G1 and G2 being really stingy with resources early on in the game. In G3 after only two hours of gameplay I have, literally, hundreds of items (many just from the opening battle with the orcs) and thousands of gold pieces. It just seems to be in stark contrast to G1 and G2 where in the beginnings of those games resources were not easy to come by. I have no feel for the economy yet with G3, so all the stuff I have may be just a lot of junk and 4k of gold may be a trivial amount.

3) Like my comment above, leveling to level 3 was really fast and in start contrast to leveling in G1/G2 which took some time. It's not a big deal, just was surprising to see the 'level up' message so many times in two hours.

4) Walking into huts in the starting village and in the rebel camp did not elicit responses from NPCs. In the starting village I took everything off that one NPC's table (the npc who is fat) and he said not a word. The fire mage in the rebel camp is the only one so far who got mad when I tried to loot his chest.

5) Drawing your weapon in front of NPCs does not elicit a response like in G1/G2 where nearby NPCs would demand you sheath your weapon 'or else....'

6) I really like the polished interface. Everything is really laid out nicely and has a lot of 'polish' to it compared to G1/G2. The quest screen is really nice. I also like that the map screen comes up so quickly compared to the 5 second delay for a map to appear in G2. Hopefully this enables reviewers here in the U.S. to talk more about the gameplay and less about the 'poor controls.' God if I read one more U.S. based review that slams G1/G2 about 'weird controls' I'm going to go postal...

Final Comment
Overall, G3 has really captured my intereset. I feel compelled to explore every nook and cranny. The game has a nice, 'organic' feel to it. The graphics have this look to them that sorta makes it feel like you can reach into your monitor and grab stuff. I highly recomend grabbing the demo.

2) I'm used to G1 and G2 being really stingy with resources early on in the game. In G3 after only two hours of gameplay I have, literally, hundreds of items (many just from the opening battle with the orcs) and thousands of gold pieces. It just seems to be in stark contrast to G1 and G2 where in the beginnings of those games resources were not easy to come by. I have no feel for the economy yet with G3, so all the stuff I have may be just a lot of junk and 4k of gold may be a trivial amount.

4) Walking into huts in the starting village and in the rebel camp did not elicit responses from NPCs. In the starting village I took everything off that one NPC's table (the npc who is fat) and he said not a word. The fire mage in the rebel camp is the only one so far who got mad when I tried to loot his chest.

5) Drawing your weapon in front of NPCs does not elicit a response like in G1/G2 where nearby NPCs would demand you sheath your weapon 'or else....'

The economy is pretty balanced. Better weapons and armour can cost tens of thousands. The responses in the starting village are I think responses from people whose village you've just saved... and drawing a weapon works in much the same way as G1&2. I exepct you're trying it in front of your new buddies. Try it in front of some other people, if the demo has any...

I'm an hour into the demo now. After the abrubt beginning, which jared me a bit, the game is suprisingly good. Combat seems easier then in gothic 2, and I like the story so far and the dialog. Wish I hadn't picked up nWN2 now... I'll play the demo a bit more though, see what I think after a while :)

TheMadGamer:
1) I experienced a weird graphical glitch on my X800 machine when standing in the area near Diego and the other characters from G2. It was like a weird clipping situation where my view pitched straight up and the screen flickered very fast. Moving away from Deigo resovled it and it did not repeat when I went back to Diego.

Fixed:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7126&postcount=133

TheMadGamer:

While I appreciate your lack of emphasis on combat in RPG's, I'm coming from the perspective of G1 and G2. Combat in G3 a monumental step backwards compared to its predecessors. Given how much "hack and slash" there is in Gothic, that's definately not a good thing.

Everything else you said I won't disagree with since I was so disgusted with the demo I havent touched it since it crashed. I'll be building out a C2D 8800GTX system soon and I'll try the demo again. Until then I'll remain disgusted.

ToddMcF2002, I agree with you whole heartedly. Considering the fact that a majority of G3's game-play and character development is centered on combat I feel as though the system implemented in G3 really detracts from the game.

When not talking to NPCs one will either be exploring, fighting or performing a combination of the two. Exploration is rarely rewarded, and combat is dull, uninspired, and quirky. I understand enjoying the game for the story, expansiveness, beauty, and RPG aspect; but having to accommodate or compensate for the game's shortcomings in order to enjoy it really devalues its overall quality.

A player shouldn't have to manage a game in order to enjoy it. Working with a quirky combat system is not enjoyable; the combat system should work for me, it should be second nature. A combat system should be intuitive, fluid, responsive, diverse, and entertaining. Improvements and developments should be measured and noticeable, improvements should be rewarding not marginal. Truthfully, the dual wield feature seems tacked on. I can hardly notice a difference between a beginner swordsman and a master. Where is the incentive for developing a melee character? A character with 300 strength and the full array of combat perks swings just like a character with 100 strength and no perks. The only noticeable differences are that one can knock people down - which in most cases isn't beneficial - or score a one hit kill.

In sum the combat in G3 blows hard, and considering the fact that the player is going to be engaging in a lot of combat it becomes hard to ignore or forgive. And no, a focus on magic or ranged combat shouldn’t be a result of a poorly designed hand-to-hand combat system.

The initial novelty of the game coupled with the fact that it is part of the Gothic series really had me pulling for it. I flipped on the rose-tinted glasses and went crazy. Even though I still consider myself to be a tried and true Gothic fan this game is far too much of a departure from the original Gothic feel to be considered worthy of the Gothic name. I know that many here enjoy the game for what it is; but I think that it can be universally agreed that G3 could have been a much better game and doesn't live up to the standards set by its brethren.

i release there are 'some gothic fans' who are having problems with gothic 3. it is inevitable that some people don't like change. but do you really think you are showing any support to a company who brought you in your opinion 'two great games' by sticking your nose up at this one. they offer more combat options plain and simple. they ofter a bigger world plain and simple. and they ofter more of lots of things. obviously with the limited amount of time given and staff they can't spend a year just working on swordfighting. but this is not called sword, or blade, or even knight. i hardly think the sword fighting in gothic 1 and 2 is what made the game. do you really think most people are going to care if they can suddenly hold the sword a different way and how does this add to the game. its always sad when things that we liked from previous games aren't included but true greatness is not staying the same, but trying new things which often have some amount of failure. i really implore all 'gothic fans' who are having problems to hold steadfast and enjoy this marvelous game. its really only your loss if you don't.

I won't post a long defence of the game. I played a long session yesterday and I don't think it's all that bad. Some people have far too extreme opinions about this game for me to take them seriously much. That's just what you get when you want Gothic 1, but get Gothic 3. It's the same when people saw Lord of the Rings in the cinema and were expecting the book. I haven't even begun to learn about all that the combat system has to offer, but like TheMadGamer, combat is just one aspect of what a game like this has to offer. Even so, I like the feel of it so far. It's not even that different compared to the other games.

Good points here. My experience of the game demo has been somewhat different from that of many, and I think I see why.

Number one: I just did a replay of Oblivion using a Ranger mod and Marksman skill, so the much improved Bow implimentation in G3 has been a lot of fun for me. Shoot and run away may not be everyone's favorite style, but such is the life of an archer. That or find an inaccesible shooting spot.

Number two: Using my bow skills I quickly freed a smith from Orcs and installed him with the rebels, for which I was able to get the Flame Sword. I have seen some talk of this sword considered overpowered or as a 'bug' in the game, but I will say that it very quickly levelled the playing field in one-on-one combat. I have taken out 2 wolves, 2 Orcs and even (luckily) 2 Boars at a time with this sword.

Even so, fighting any animal on uneven ground or in foliage is a big mistake. I run away to find flat, open space or even better maneuver them into a spot where I can back them into a wall.

With my Archery skills up, and with the Flame Sword, I have cleaned out the demo. Single-handed, I freed Cape Dun, killing every Orc and mercenary in the town before freeing the Paladin. I have also cleaned all the caves and decimated the wildlife, dragons. ogres and mine crawlers, reaching level 16. And it has been good fun and quite Gothic-like throughout.

I do think that the combat balance is wonky and needs improvement, but I am really looking forward to the upcoming US release.

Shouldn´t it be already available?
13th of November was the last official release date as far as I know.

They said 13th, but my pre-order said to expect it on the 15th, meaning they thouhgt it would actually ship today.

i release there are 'some gothic fans' who are having problems with gothic 3. it is inevitable that some people don't like change.

Well…from what I have been reading, it’s a lot more than just “some people”. I would say “most people”.

but do you really think you are showing any support to a company who brought you in your opinion 'two great games' by sticking your nose up at this one.

If a game is poorly designed or rushed to market…especially when comparing it to its predecessors…who is at fault? Certainly Not the consumers!! The only power a consumer has over a product…is with the all mighty dollar. If a product is bad and everyone goes out and buys it anyway…then what incentive is there for the producers of said product, to make a better product.

they offer more combat options plain and simple.

If the system is not what people expect or of poor design…again comparing it to its predecessors…then what good is it. Quantity does not make up for poor quality.

they ofter a bigger world plain and simple. and they ofter more of lots of things.

Again, Quantity does not make up for poor quality.

obviously with the limited amount of time given and staff they can't spend a year just working on swordfighting.

And again, whose fault is that? And since Sword Fighting plays such a major part in Gothic, you would think that that would be one of the game aspects that would get a lot of attention. Having not played the game as of yet I can not personally comment on the fighting system. But I will say this…I have done a lot of reading on peoples comments and views of G3 and the masses are not happy. Sure there are your typical Gothic “Fanboys” out there who will always argue the game is the greatest thing since the light bulb. But their view is generally clouded by there obsessive love for the game and in that respect, will never be able to be truly objective in their opinions. But the people out there who recognize G3 for what it truly is…a product made for consumers to generate a profit…all agree that the product falls short of expectations.

but this is not called sword, or blade, or even knight.

What does a name have to do with a certain piece of a games mechanics.

i hardly think the sword fighting in gothic 1 and 2 is what made the game.

Maybe in and of itself…no. But it certainly played a major role. So much so that it sparked major discussions in the forum in one form or another.

do you really think most people are going to care if they can suddenly hold the sword a different way and how does this add to the game.

If you read “most” of the threads concerning this issue, then you would not be making this statement.

its always sad when things that we liked from previous games aren't included but true greatness is not staying the same, but trying new things which often have some amount of failure.

“True Greatness” is being able to recognize ones “failures” and then correcting them.

i really implore all 'gothic fans' who are having problems to hold steadfast and enjoy this marvelous game. its really only your loss if you don't

Not true…this is spin. If a product is flawed, you hold off on the monetary rewards until said product is fixed. Then and only then do you reward the producer with monetary gains. Then the next time they decide to make a product, their will be more incentive to make it right the first time to increase their reputation and profit margin.

I had a feeling that my focus on combat would elicit this type of response. I'm not just upset because *many* of the skills are unfinished or bugged, I'm upset because a lot of the *game* feels unfinished and bugged.

I've played this game for a few weeks for hours on end; I probably ended up easily dumping about 80 hours into it. I ran around like a damn idiot looking for interesting places to explore and great fights to battle through yet I found myself being disappointed on many fronts. Graphical bugs or issues, issues with installation, overall game-play balance, boring and unbalanced combat, boring characters, interchangeable towns, unrewarding exploration, a terrible and incomplete journal system (it often doesn't include relevant parts of the conversation!), unfinished caves, broken quests, excluded options, and incomplete, bugged or unrewarding skills.

Obviously if I was able to play it for hours on end for a few weeks I must have thought that something about the game was entertaining. The problem here isn't that the game is worthless; it’s just unfinished, imbalanced, and bugged.

I already understand the need to try something new and I get the idea of delivering more quality and content to the customer. As I see it, the issue is that the project, and everyone involved, took on way to much. The result is something that we experience way too often in this market, an awesome start that could have been an amazing finish if it were given more time.

I really feel that listing each particular issue in *detail* would be redundant and offensive. I am glad that some people are enjoying this game. However, if everyone just accepts what is given to them nothing will get better. When I bought G2 I expected G1, but instead of getting G1 I got something better! I would have settled for something like G1 when playing G2. Now, when I purchased G3 I was expecting something like G1 or G2, but this time I got something less. I would have taken a marginal improvement over either one of G3's predecessors; improve the graphics, make a world that is a little larger and add in a few new small features, essentially do what G2 did for G1. Instead I got a world that was 4 times as large, an entirely new graphics engine, completely different game-play, and a brand new character design and development scheme; all of which felt unfinished and rushed in their implementation.

I'm not against something new, and I am for change; I just can't accept something that feels rushed and incomplete. It’s an average game that falls short of expectations, combat is just one facet of my argument.

*EDIT*: I think Ragnar does a better job of explaining my view than I do, oops.

If a game is poorly designed or rushed to market…especially when comparing it to its predecessors…who is at fault? Certainly Not the consumers!! The only power a consumer has over a product…is with the all mighty dollar. If a product is bad and everyone goes out and buys it anyway…then what incentive is there for the producers of said product, to make a better product.

QFT!

I am still highly anticipating Gothic 3, and very much enjoyed the demo, but am prepared to realistically evaluate the product. If it is broken or bad I will call it as such - I see no value in 'defending the product' unless it deserves defense.

For example, I loved Deus Ex - to the extent that I skipped playing the demo since I knew it would contain the beginning, and ran out on day of release to get the game. One of the worst experiences EVER! Perhaps my most hated game of all time. And there were those out and about defending it and saying that we had to stick by it or we'd lose the chance to get another Deus Ex ever ... tough luck I say - they had the opportunity to make a good game and they made crap.

I hope that Gothic 3 is good - I've been avoiding reading much here to keep away from spoilers - but if it isn't then they deserve to get skewered. If it is truly excellent but lacking polish, that is truly unfortunate, as they'll lose tons of sales because of a few months ...

A Gothic newbie will probably like the game if he expected an open-ended game. Gothic 3 is an explorer´s dream, and it has good internal and technical values. It´s lightyears ahead of all the generic crap.
It´s just the weakest "Gothic" yet. The magic is gone because PB added much more content but decided to scale down on quality. I bet the add-ons will be excellent, now that they´ve identified the problems.

most is a very hard word to use. there are many people on these boards who have been long time gothic fans and who can overlook the flaws to enjoy what is one of the best games ever. it doesn't matter if they are in the minority, it doesn't mean their opinion or yours is right or wrong. it just means that like some of the greatest gems in this world throughout history the majority either scoff at from lack of understanding or difficulty in ease of use. there are so many examples. would you rather live in a palace with holes in the roof and walls and some broken tiles on the floor or a pristine shack shack next to a bunch of other pristine shacks?

the game has never been unfinishable. so yes lots of bugs are problems but many have been fixed and you people need to start enjoying life and focus that negative energy on changing the actual 'bad' in this world not flawed products.

like i said before pirhanna bytes is one of the most talented developers out there. it may be time for you to 'give up on them' since their creative direction is not dictated by what you or i say...

I've played this game for a few weeks for hours on end; I probably ended up easily dumping about 80 hours into it. I ran around like a damn idiot looking for interesting places to explore and great fights to battle through yet I found myself being disappointed on many fronts. Graphical bugs or issues, issues with installation, overall game-play balance, boring and unbalanced combat, boring characters, interchangeable towns, unrewarding exploration, a terrible and incomplete journal system (it often doesn't include relevant parts of the conversation!), unfinished caves, broken quests, excluded options, and incomplete, bugged or unrewarding skills.

Funny how most of these criticisms are leveled at Bethesda like its a national pastime and yet PB get a free pass???

Its pretty clear to me that PB did *exactly* what Bethesda did - try to make a HUGE and graphically outstanding world as job #1, gameplay demoted to job #2.

Too bad PB couldnt even finish job #1. It runs worse than Oblivion and looks worse than Oblivion. You'd have to have your eyes examined to think otherwise.

But I'm a huge Gothic fan so I'll give PB a free pass and buy it anyway. Actually, I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom