Rollers of the Realm - RPG...With Pinballs?

Aubrielle

Noveliste
We've been tipped off to Rollers of the Realm, an RPG that takes place on a series of pinball tables. Quirky, but unique. Thanks for the tip, Black Rune!

ss_c5509b3212f758498170949bc1ead58a6c304b62.600x338.jpg

ss_964a7479ef5d1564b4c5c86574263c9222d710ef.600x338.jpg

Rollers of the Realm™ combines the frantic physics of classic arcade pinball with the character-driven adventure of fantasy role-playing games. Bounce, spin, and battle through scenes of an epic storyline with a band of medieval misfits tasked with reclaiming the world from dark and ancient magic. Winner of a "Best in Play" Award at GDC Play 2014, IndieCade finalist in 2013.

A new spin on pinball: includes physics-based puzzles and combat with unique nudge and flipper mechanics.
10 hot-swappable player characters (represented by balls), each with a unique size, weight, and stats.
Unleash devastating special abilities: flaming swords, animal companions, hailstorms, bombs!
Upgrade stats and special abilities as your party levels up.
30+ Campaign levels to discover and replay. Fully-voiced storyline.
Combat focused: battle grunts, elites, bosses... and more.
Loot drops: gold, score and mana multipliers, power-ups, and treasure.
Arena Mode: 5 challenging boards with Steam Leaderboard support.
More information.

More information.

Definitely a neat take on how an RPG can combine with pinball and puzzles. Its not a push over game either, since pinball does require some degree of skill. But at the same time the RPG underpinnings like party mechanics, upgrades, loot drops, etc. are all there and they do matter. As does your tactics when playing a given level. Each character is great at different things and you can hot-swap your character balls by catching them on a main flipper allowing you to chain and combo different abilities together from different characters.

Well thought out, well executed. Typical fantasy story, but fully voice acted (big for an indie game), with 30+ levels across 6 chapters. Well worth the $9 to $11 bucks (depends on the platform you purchase it on). They even have cross-buy for you PS4/Vita users!

Wat? :D

Now I feel like I have seen everything. So has anyone tried it yet? Although at that price tag I'm very tempted to just give it a shot myself. This might well be the first pinball game I'll play since Pinball Dreams way back on an Amiga 500.

I'm intrigued, but in the past pinball on the PC falls flat to me. This is an interesting take on the RPG though. There was another game released a few years ago combining breakout with an RPG called WizOrb, also available on Steam for those interested in mash-ups like this.

The game is pretty fun to play. Can be played by controller or with keyboard.
There are different characters in the game and one can really feel the difference between a Rouge and the Knight for example. The rouge ball actually does a backstab in battle and pickpocket in non battle situations. And the ball is smaller and faster than the Knight. And every character or ball is given special abilities which are useful.
So, I like it. Voice acting is really good, the music is also good, the graphics cartoonish and average but it is alright.
Giving it 8/10. Mostly because the developers bravery and innovativeness to bring out such a mashup to the "table", in these days where most players WOW's away their time, or plays some other ridiculous MMO, or shooting zombies, COD etc.

Hmm, seems some of you didn't grow up with a Nintendo like I did. :) One of the best games for the NES was Pinball Quest, a pinball/RPG hybrid. That game was a blast to play!

How do you think he does it? I don't know. What makes him so good? He's a pinball wizard there has to be a twist.:sing: That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball.

Went on steam and checked out the Vids. The game looks pretty good. However, I have lame hand eye coordination and can only hope they have an easy mode . . .

I aint a pinball wizard

This brought a smile to my face. I was a huge fan of pinball as a preteen in the early 70s.

Some later playfields and/or alternate setups in this game definitely require a plan of action or tactics to beat. Right now the finale chapter to the game has a lot of people pulling out their hair because it is a four stage fight with three different bosses that starts in the camp and progresses into the castle.

I've enjoyed it a fair amount. Definitely worth the money if you aren't afraid of something new and something that at times will require twitch gaming skill. I've even got some of the top 10 scores at the moment in the five unlockable Arenas!

I played about 10 levels last night. Great fun if you like pinball. Your party is a set of balls. Each ball has RPG stats, and one special ability (like multiball). Special abilities can be used when you've gathered enough mana on the playing field. Rather clever. Stats can be improved by buying items in a shop from gold you gather on the playing field

Some of the stats are obvious (+ damage stats) and some are not (agility, and parry). Still trying to figure these out. There's no manual. :p

Last edited:
I like the look of this. Glad to see it's getting good reports.

Back
Top Bottom