Diablo 3 - Recent Forum Activity

aries100

SasqWatch
Bashiok, the community manager on the official forums discusses release dates, PvP systems, total party size as well as if the designers are limiting character builds:
There are no skill trees any more. Skills are still tiered by when you can buy them (essentially a level requirement) but there aren't any trees, it's one big pool.
Before this game even reaches a beta state there will be hundreds of people playing it internally, and most likely there will be builds that are developed during that time. But the game is specifically being designed in a way that skill progression is as much of a choice as possible. There will always be builds determined to be 'the best' as long as there are choices and options. Making every skill and every pathway perfectly equal would mean watering down skills, making bland options, and overall homogenizing the classes and skill abilities. So it's a trick of balancing unique and interesting and fun skills while also ensuring that no matter which ones you pick you're not totally gimped.
More information.

This sounds pretty fun. Variation and skills being differently useful, but without making characters worthless if the choices are bad.

click click click click click click click click COOL, A PURPLE! click click click click click click click

Never did really played Diablo, tried the demos and disliked it so replayed BG2 or something. Anyway, dropping skill trees sounds like a dumbing down decision to me. I'm sure it makes it easier to develop but sounds like it really would kill the personality and style of one character type vs another.
I thought the draw of diablo was how differently the character classes played. Well that and to play the slot machine until you get the +10 golden codpiece of destruction drop.

Never did really played Diablo, tried the demos and disliked it so replayed BG2 or something. Anyway, dropping skill trees sounds like a dumbing down decision to me. I'm sure it makes it easier to develop but sounds like it really would kill the personality and style of one character type vs another.
I thought the draw of diablo was how differently the character classes played. Well that and to play the slot machine until you get the +10 golden codpiece of destruction drop.

The drop of skill trees actually means they just merged 3 trees into one global. Just like in Hellgate London. There still is a hierarchical structure for skills but you aren't forced anymore into specializing in 1 tree or the other. More freedom for the player. Sure there will be builds, but I think there will be more builds than before.

click click click click click click click click COOL, A PURPLE! click click click click click click click

As opposed to "You, young one, have many trials before you that you and you only must face alone blah blah blah"

So your games are intellectual and Diablo is not.

Back
Top Bottom