Valkyria Chronicles: Tips & Tricks

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Don't try to steer the Edelweiss-tank with A/D; use W/S and mouse only.
Enable VSync as well.

LOL
Okay, I'm adding some of my own. General ones.

- Don't bother to get A on missions/skirmishes until you learn mortar command and until your squad is elite (level 11+). Well... Skirmish #1 is easy to get A before that (just run your scout).

- Keep 30 FPS locked as rate of fire on automatic weapons is tied to FPS and instead of wounding your crew instadies if intercepted. Wait for the patch on this.

- To unlock hidden traits officers need to complete their sidequest missions. Recruits need to perform a few kills or just let that recruit to get KOed then call Medic to pick them (apparently while treated the journalist interviews them and you discover the trait).

- You don't need to put a full squad on a mission. For example for skirmish #3 besides your tank and officers (for AP), all you need is one engineer.

- Aces are enemies with a name. Killing one rewards you with a special weapon or tank upgrade, IMO all of those items are crap (at least till chapter 12, I'm there currently).

- Unlike other games Steam achievements are not useless here, they're in fact ingame medals and you can receive them eventually in cutscenes from a princess with special weapons sometimes. And while ace weapons are rotten, these medal reward weapons are usually better than those you currently use. So don't neglect chasing achievements here!

- Scouts are OP. Level them first, use them everywhere, get close, crack defenses with headshots!

- Snipers and lancers (yours and enemies) can't return fire nor can intercept anyone, but are deadly in their turn so clear them first.

- There is not quicksave and quickload during fights. But this is not a retarded checkpoints game. You can save every turn! So do it. Why repeatng a fight if you missed a lancer so he went behind edelweiss and...

Last edited:
Finally finished the game after 69 hours (with only two Skirmishes played).
One of the best tactical games I played in the last 15 years.

Highly recommended!

If I could just ignore the visuals...

I can't, I'm a terrible superficial person. :(

If I could just ignore the visuals…

Really? I think the visuals are great, and I normally hate cartooney stuff. I'm not sure if it's even fair to call VC cartooney though. The artistic style is more like a water painting. At least that's the closest thing that comes to mind.

I'm enjoying it enough. It's not great, but I think it's worth playing if you like strategy-RPGs. The combat is a lot of fun, but the dialogue is a little too light-hearted for my taste.

Light hearted!? It's like "Leave it to Beaver Goes to War!" I'm bouncing back and forth between this and Witcher 2 and it feels like jumping between Tip Toe Through the Tulips and Skinny Puppy.

The strategy has been great really fun, though. I'm not totally sure if I should be trying to kill off as many enemies as I can or finish as quickly as I can.

P.S. Hey guys, you know that big empire that demolished all the rest of Europe? Well, it's after our tiny little nation now and we've all been drafted to fight in the war. That means we'll get to see a lot of our buddies from college! Isn't that just swell?

P.P.S. The refresh rate issue got fixed in a patch a few weeks ago, thank goodness!

I'm not totally sure if I should be trying to kill off as many enemies as I can or finish as quickly as I can.
Less turns = more XP and cash.
However, don't do that on the first run - concentrate on aces. There is an achievement for killing all aces and gathering their drops, achievements bring medals, medals bring great weapons for your party.

I've started replaying it and getting A on everything but then DA3 got released...

You know, encouraging me to eat my vegetables one minute then handing me my ass on a plate the next is a terribly mixed message. :)

It's not. I said elsewhere, some missions are unlocked only when you finish the game at least once.

Challenging missions. And we don't refuse challenges, right? :)

And to get to those fast, there is no need to reaload indefinetly trying to grab A rank on all available missions in the first run. Besides, you'll get them in no time because your team got better equipment (you keep everything on the replay) and levels!

So use the first run to follow the story and explore battlefields. Use the second run to show how good tactician you really are.

You know - I think I like some of those enemy weapons you can pick up from aces. Specifically the scout weapons. The range on them is terrible but the damage is higher and, given that scouts tend to stick their guns right up the enemy's nose before firing anyway, I want damage more than range/accuracy.

Another hint: don't worry about running over your own people with a tank. They scream and get thrown to the side but they don't seem to take any damage at all. You might even be able to push them into safety!

I use lancers on sandbags at least as much as tanks. Lancer blows the bags and makes the enemy stop crouching then... well... just about anyone else finishes the job.

Grenades have horribly short range UNLESS you're up high!

For everyone? I just got the one for scouts getting to level 11.

I love these new flamethrowers but aiming them is a real pain! I wish it showed some sort of indicator of where you will be flaming. I can stop, aim, and check for blue crosshairs to make sure the enemy is in range but checking if they are in arc? Just aim between the targets and hope - at least until you get used to it.

I was about to say it had to be given it's tactical level but Sacrifice sure wasn't.

Another tip... don't end your turn on a tower. That invites enemy tanks/lancers to blow the whole thing up. Climbing up/down the ladder is practically free so you're just as good down low between turns.

Back
Top Bottom