The Escapist - Death to Good Graphics

Heh.

My point is that the point you appeared to be making early on at least wasn't the same point as you're pointing to right now, a point that NN has pointed out was actually a pretty pointless point anyway, and there's little point in arguing with you on any point because you always just say that wasn't your point anyway and point the blame at other people who are apparently pointing at you and calling you a nazi.

I think anyway, now I'm confused!

You certainly got me confused as well :)

Nah, my point is identical to what it was at first:

Obsession with Hollywood production values is the problem, not technology. The budgets for marketing and media manipulation for AAA games remain gigantic and completely out of proportion with the reality of what the games are actually doing, as in how they actually play.

But I don't blame you or anyone else for refusing to accept that's been the point all along, as that's human nature.

It's just unfortunate that everything got derailed beyond salvaging - as it was an interesting debate before it became about "defeating" DArtagnan with superior knowledge of 3D modeling. It serves to demonstrate what's important to some people, and that's amusing - if nothing else.

I think one just have to take a look at Duke Nukem Forever. The developers were never really pleased with the looks of their game, and - you know what - blew millions of dollars into the wind just to upgrade to the next graphics engine and satisfy their hubris.
I don't think this has anything to do with the marketing.

I'll stress this.

IF graphics weren't that important, why just didn't they just stop and release that game ?

You certainly got me confused as well :)

Nah, my point is identical to what it was at first:

Obsession with Hollywood production values is the problem, not technology. The budgets for marketing and media manipulation for AAA games remain gigantic and completely out of proportion with the reality of what the games are actually doing, as in how they actually play.

But I don't blame you or anyone else for refusing to accept that's been the point all along, as that's human nature.

It's just unfortunate that everything got derailed beyond salvaging - as it was an interesting debate before it became about "defeating" DArtagnan with superior knowledge of 3D modeling. It serves to demonstrate what's important to some people, and that's amusing - if nothing else.

Why didn't you just say that? ;)

Anyway, I still disagree with you. The technology allows the graphical cutting edge which allows games to succeed with hollywood production values which raises the bar for other developers so that even though they can choose to work behind the graphics curve they have to risk losing too many people to make it viable to do so. Especially since most developers have to get backing from publishers who are, like the mass market, more easily swayed by pretty graphics than by inchoate concepts of gameplay.

For the level of development time & cost involved in keeping up with the graphics arms race enabled by technological developments and the (current at least) realities of the market place, I think marketing budgets are probably about right. More people play games than ever before, even if lower graphics games could sell to the faithful, market saturation is still low compared to the general public. From a business perspective, even seemingly ludicrous development outlay is still potentially very profitable if you market it right.

Anyway, if you don't want discussions to get derailed, you could always try not saying silly things to derail them and then defending it to the death. Just a thought ;)

Why didn't you just say that? ;)

Anyway, I still disagree with you. The technology allows the graphical cutting edge which allows games to succeed with hollywood production values which raises the bar for other developers so that even though they can choose to work behind the graphics curve they have to risk losing too many people to make it viable to do so. Especially since most developers have to get backing from publishers who are, like the mass market, more easily swayed by pretty graphics than by inchoate concepts of gameplay.

For the level of development time & cost involved in keeping up with the graphics arms race enabled by technological developments and the (current at least) realities of the market place, I think marketing budgets are probably about right. More people play games than ever before, even if lower graphics games could sell to the faithful, market saturation is still low compared to the general public. From a business perspective, even seemingly ludicrous development outlay is still potentially very profitable if you market it right.

Anyway, if you don't want discussions to get derailed, you could always try not saying silly things to derail them and then defending it to the death. Just a thought ;)

I don't control threads - and if you want to derail them in an effort to prove me wrong about something you don't even understand - then that's ok with me.

I know it's hard not to attack everything I say - but at least be smart about it, and perhaps consider what it is I'm saying, instead of what you'd like me to be saying.

Anyway - I'd hoped we'd gone beyond repeating ourselves, but apparently not.

Yeah, the marketing budgets are not the cause of companies losing money - so from that perspective, they're "just about right". I'm talking about the perspective of the original article - which is that MAYBE the games would be better with a shift of focus.

I take it you don't agree?

I don't control threads - and if you want to derail them in an effort to prove me wrong about something you don't even understand - then that's ok with me.

I know it's hard not to attack everything I say - but at least be smart about it, and perhaps consider what it is I'm saying, instead of what you'd like me to be saying.

Anyway - I'd hoped we'd gone beyond repeating ourselves, but apparently not.

It was half way down page three before I even saw it with several others arguing with you too, i don't think it's me that derailed it even though I readily admit I have kept it off track.

I have considered what you're saying. I've put forward arguments as to why I disagree with what you're saying having considered it. I don't agree with you and you're not really arguing the points on which I disagree, just saying that I've not read what you're saying and then saying the exact same thing . . .

I'm not even definitively out to prove you wrong, if you can argue why you're right I'll happily listen :)

Generally though, I do agree with you on what I'd like to see from games.

Edit:
@D'artagnan: A middle earth card-game? Intriguing. Am I a character? :)

I do know that such a game exists ... I've seen a rather new one at the RPC.

I don't remember the name anymore, however.

Because graphics are important if you want to impress the mass market.

Kinda the point :)

Yes, but it is also a proof that the game had been out much earlier if the emphasis had been on content, NOT on graphics ...

If graphics are a problem, then I wonder how CRPGs might be made today without them.

Back when Kung Fu debuted on television, one of its most intriguing characters was Cane's master, a blind monk. He was cool. And though he couldn't see at all, he had no difficulty taking care of himself.

If he were the main character, and the game took a "blind approach," it would certainly require less graphics. Then what, I wonder? How might that kind of game be done differently and better?

Yes, but it is also a proof that the game had been out much earlier if the emphasis had been on content, NOT on graphics ...

Well, maybe DNF is a special case - and I don't really know the internal obstacles - and I doubt any of us ever will :)

I don't control threads

You don't - but you argue with 10 people at the same time within several different threads.

Personally, I've given up argueing with you, because you always find some ways to prove you're right and me, I'm wrong.

I don't see any sign of "that could be right", and any sign of accepting any other standpoints.

Well, maybe DNF is a special case - and I don't really know the internal obstacles - and I doubt any of us ever will :)

Me, I suurely won't ever know, but to me, that's a fact that could be hardly ignored. A shooter normally doesn't need THAT much content at all ... Not if you compare it with RPGs, which are normally in general more demanding in the "contents" area, apart from action RPGs.

The game is out of production and has been for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-earth_Collectible_Card_Game

I see. But there is a new one out there, I've seen it.
It could be fan-made, though.

It was half way down page three before I even saw it with several others arguing with you too, i don't think it's me that derailed it even though I readily admit I have kept it off track.

I have considered what you're saying. I've put forward arguments as to why I disagree with what you're saying having considered it. I don't agree with you and you're not really arguing the points on which I disagree, just saying that I've not read what you're saying and then saying the exact same thing . . .

I'm not even definitively out to prove you wrong, if you can argue why you're right I'll happily listen :)

Generally though, I do agree with you on what I'd like to see from games.

I'm not really sure what you mean I'm not arguing the points on which you disagree. What points specifically have I not responded to?

I'm glad you agree with me on something though, as it means less arguing ;)

This is the whole point of the original link. You then posted about marketing, hookers, blow, gold-lined offices and developers driving Ferraris.

If your point was the same as the original article, all you have to say is "I agree".

You have clearly changed your point and if you didn't mean to, your initial communication was poorly phrased.

This is the whole point of the original link. You then posted about marketing, hookers, blow, gold-lined offices and developers driving Ferraris.

If your point was the same as the original article, all you have to say is "I agree".

You have clearly changed your point and if you didn't mean to, your initial communication was poorly phrased.

My point was not the same as the article, because the article assumes the market wants better games. My point is two-fold, first that technology is NOT the problem, and second that production values is the problem.

Here's a couple of quotes from my very first post.

The advancement in technology is NOT what makes games cost more.

Production values don't really mean development of the engine or game mechanics - it's about how much you pay to EARN more.

Hollywood and the gaming industry are getting ever closer in nature, and that's what the money thing is all about.

Note that the above is exclusively for AAA productions akin to blockbuster movies.

My point still stands - and has never changed, nor have I tried to backtrack. All I've done is try to explain what I meant by technology not being at fault - but rather what you CHOOSE to do with that technology. That's been repeated by me over and over again - and I even made a post on the first page explaining how we're talking about two different things, as you're talking about focus on added content, and I'm talking about the capabilities of new technology.

It wouldn't hurt to actually read my posts and just FOR THE HECK OF IT - trust me when I say that my point has never been any different.

The ONE mistake I probably made was not to add obsessive content detail in my first post, because as I've already said - I just didn't think of it. But my point should have been clear without it, because I kept talking about Hollywood production values and superfluous content.

Anyway, whatever. Believe what you will.

Yeah, I read your posts. Maybe you should try re-reading them.

Your first point was that marketing is where all the money goes.

The last two are the big ones, and it takes a loooot of money to control the market, and manipulate the media - and as a result, the audience.

So, marketing is the big expense. You don't actually back those statements up and others (including myself) respond that developing the in-game assets really does cost a lot of money.

You respond, in part:

I'm not saying it's cheap today - I'm talking about where the REAL money goes.

You think Liam Neeson was cheap in Fallout 3? I don't think so. That's just one guy for one job - and was it really worth it in terms of game quality, or was it a marketing gimmick?

Again, the REAL money apparently doesn't go on developing in-game assets - it's Liam Neeson and the marketing.

You then add a caveat:

What I'm claiming is that ~90% of that budget is spent in an effort to make the game SELL, rather than making the game better in terms of mechanics or genre evolution.

Ah! Maybe the money is spent on in-game assets - it's just you don't agree with their priorities. Fair enough but most of us don't disagree - that was Shamus' point! Here's a similar statement:

Then there's another way of making a good return - and that's what Stardock are doing by focusing the budget on the actual game, which is what we see with GalCiv 2 and Sins of the Solar Empire. Those games probably weren't exactly cheap - but I'm sure they cost a fraction of say, Gears of War, Mass Effect, or Fallout 3.

You could easily make a decent shooter on such a budget - but it wouldn't saturate the media or necessarily look and sound like a Hollywood movie. It still might be a great game, though.

Let's compare this to Shamus' ultimate point - spending less on graphics, so developers can focus elsewhere:

Shamus said:
We're getting shorter games and less innovation and more buggy games. [...]

This might sound risky, but think about the millions you'll save in development costs. You'll be producing a game for less money that can run on a far larger portion of PCs. It will run smoother, be less of a support headache, and give gamers more value for their gaming dollar.

Does that sound a bit like your Stardock example. Like, exactly like your Stardock example?

Yeah, I read your posts. Maybe you should try re-reading them.

:lol:

I was just about to do the same thing . . . .

D'Artagnan, assuming you are simply misunderstood, and have seemingly been frequently misunderstood in a succession of threads by a fair number of the regular posters on here, rather than blaming everyone else for not reading your posts properly wouldn't you be better off taking some of the comments on board and trying to avoid being quite so misunderstood in the future?

Unless of course you enjoy the arguments, but then I've already called you competitive once and you didn't seem that keen on acknowledging it ;)

Oh my, I wonder how many posts I've gotta make before you actually READ what I say. Please, PLEASE read this one and MAYBE you'll get my meaning.

Your first point was that marketing is where all the money goes.

No, NO, and NO it wasn't. I said marketing and media manipulation are the BIGGEST parts. You're focusing obsessively on this as if marketing was everything I was talking about. Read the FIRST part, which is that technology ISN'T the problem as the second poster claimed, and which is sorta what the article is pointing at - which is why the article is looking at this from the wrong angle. Technology, in itself, is simply a tool and you can make GREAT use of the advances WITHOUT hiring a ton of people for added content.

I said - and you can read this in my quotes above, that PRODUCTION values is the problem - and that production values INCLUDE things like the list I made - which incidentally includes several things that are NOT marketing related.

I've said - twice now - that my one regret in terms of being clear, is that I DIDN'T include obsessive content detail because I didn't think of it. However, in my first response to YOU, I explained that this was just the kind of thing I meant by Hollywood production values and why it's NOTHING to do with gameplay or mechanics.

Translated just for you = The NATURE of Altair and the work done to make him look so DAMN HOT, is THE PROBLEM. The problem isn't the level of technology that made it POSSIBLE. It's that they CHOOSE to add that much detail INSTEAD of developing the actual GAME - as in gameplay and mechanics.

So, marketing is the big expense. You don't actually back those statements up and others (including myself) respond that developing the in-game assets really does cost a lot of money.

For typical AAA productions, you're damn right marketing is the big expense. Look at GalCiv 2 - which is just a small middle-market title, and yet the marketing budget is HALF the ENTIRE budget. But when I say "the big expense" it doesn't mean that it's bigger than everything else COMBINED - I'm saying the money spent on marketing and media manipulation COMBINED - is bigger than any other one aspect of the product. Do I know this for certain for all titles? No, it's a matter of looking at what's being done to market things and listening to what it costs to make that much noise.

Is this ALWAYS the case? How would I know - and maybe AC is the exception with a 450 man crew. I honestly can't begin to calculate how much money goes to their wages. But I'll promise you this: the marketing budget is OBSCENE. Why don't we see if numbers are revealed that we can trust.

Again, the REAL money apparently doesn't go on developing in-game assets - it's Liam Neeson and the marketing.

Tell me, can you do ANYTHING but focus on tiny aspects that you want to be my whole point.

Liam Neeson is an EXAMPLE of what makes the game SELL - not BETTER. JUST like Altair is an example of what makes the game SELL - not BETTER.

Ah! Maybe the money is spent on in-game assets - it's just you don't agree with their priorities. Fair enough but most of us don't disagree - that was Shamus' point! Here's a similar statement:

Yeah, as I've repeated to a nauseating degree - a LOT of money is spent in an effort to make the game SELL - not BETTER. Which is my entire point about production values.

Does that sound a bit like your Stardock example. Like, exactly like your Stardock example?

Yeah, that's exactly right. I agree that I would LOVE for the industry to go that way.

What I DON'T agree with is that technology is the CAUSE of the problem.

Furthermore, the article is talking about making games BETTER - not SELL. You get it? It's the entire reason games will NEVER be better as long as gaming is Hollywood 2. That's why the article is flawed - because it's based on the assumption that the market actually wants games that are BETTER - not COOLER.

The only way I see this happening, as I've said several times as well, is if they spend all that marketing cash on SHIFTING focus from Hollywood crap to GAMEPLAY. As in manipulating the casuals to change their tastes.

Back
Top Bottom