Risen 2 - First Screens!

I would *love* a Risen game set in a very "tropical", warm, pirate-y type of setting. And it wouldn't take a huge nudge to have pushed the original Risen into that direction, hope they go for it.

PB already did this for G2 NotR. I'm happy they move into that direction again, although I doubt the game will be that tough.

PB already did this for G2 NotR. I'm happy they move into that direction again, although I doubt the game will be that tough.

I hope it won't be that hard. Don't get me wrong, I still think that Gothic 2 + Addon is one of the best games ever...but dear lord did I curse a lot while playing.

Here's a link to the German WoR megathread. Sounds absolutely fantastic.

The thread says according to PC Games Risen 2 is 80% finished. Voice recordings will start in a few weeks.

I'll reserve judgment till I see more information or videos of the final product. Dont want to get negative like I did with dragonage 2.:biggrin:

I am thrilled by the target shots. The setting looks like a lot of fun. I also don't mind guns at all! I imagine them to be similar to crossbows when it comes to handling, only that they make "boom" and there is smoke.

I never played Fable, so I cannot say much about the worries stated in this thread. However, I do hope that Risen 2 will at least have a different quest structure. Risen 1 was too similar to Gothic 2. Some innovation will be appreciated.

Well, this looks superb. It doesn't look a very different from the first Risen, but that's just fine by me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Tropical Island setting of the first game. I also don't see a whole lot of problems with the guns, as long as they don't work too different from your standard bow or crossbow. It fits well within the pirate-esque setting of the game.

To me, that's nice. :)

An RPG set within the "Pirates Of The Carribbean" setting ? I don't think anyone did that before … :lol:

Actually there was a Pirates of the Carribean RPG in development, but it was canned a couple of months back.

The several screens look absolutely fantastic.

I suppose target artwork means, that these are artworks (maybe painted over renders/screens?) that are supposed to be very close to what the actual game should look like, instead of more "inspirational" conceptr art? I never heard that term before.
PB has a fable for pirates, it seems. I bet a certain female NPC will make a reappearance, and probably her daddy as well?

Actually there was a Pirates of the Carribean RPG in development, but it was canned a couple of months back.

There's also the Sea Dogs RPG franchise, the second of which was actually marketed as Pirates of the Caribbean in America (and maybe elsewhere?).

I actually think that primitive guns and a "pirate" setting would work quite well in Risen's universe. I personally thought that the mix of medieval technology with a tropical world seemed a bit off in Risen 1, so I think this new direction might be much more immersive and believable given the tropical island setting.

I'm just loving the fact that it's difficult to tell if these are screenshots, artwork, or some combo.

We don't have much info but this does let us see that they are still actively working on the project and are at least thinking about adding guns to the game.

Pirate setting -> nice!

Risen 2 starts with a more linear story, with time the world and story will get more open -> Islands. Choices with consequences are promised. Chests are hand-picked. Story is bigger / more quests than Risen 1.

I'm interested ...

Nice. I like the pirate theme. Hope that's representative of the game, not just an accident of selecting these screens. I have always enjoyed that sort of setting. I like the addition of pistols, too.

If they're 80% finished, perhaps that means we'll see the game by the end of the year, or maybe early next year. That would be great.

I think that having guns is alright since many old fantasy rpgs like Ultima, Might & Magic, and Wizardry (I think) had guns of some form in them. There are others but I can't think of them right now.

PS. I really hope Alrik was being sarcastic especially since there have been articles about Pirates of the Caribbean and the Build mod on here.

I think that having guns is alright since many old fantasy rpgs like Ultima, Might & Magic, and Wizardry (I think) had guns of some form in them. There are others but I can't think of them right now.

Maybe it's alright since, if done right, it could be awesome, not necessarily because some other RPGs did it back in the day.

Don't worry. Seeing a rifle in the game doesn't mean it will be a dumbed down or worse game. There are so many fantasy games that contain guns. Just wait and see.

Judging by the screenshots it will use the same engine of Risen 1. This means they have much more time to add more content to the game than deal with technical side. Yay! :)

Judging by the screenshots it will use the same engine of Risen 1. This means they have much more time to add more content to the game than deal with technical side. Yay! :)

This should be quoted for future arguments about whether the current "stagnation" of graphics and technology is a good thing for gameplay purposes. Not all developers have seized this wonderful opportunity presented by stable (stagnated) tech, but I completely agree with you that the use of the same engine and tech of Risen 1 frees PB to focus purely on gameplay improvements, storyline, etc. which is a great thing in my opinion. I could care less if Risen 2's graphics are "better" than the first game, as they were plenty good for me.

Back
Top Bottom