Planescape help

Hannibal

Traveler
Hello everyone! I'm a long time reader but this is my first post. I finally picked up Planescape Torment and I have to say so far it is great. I love the story and how fleshed out the dialog is. I do have a couple of questions though. How do I get lower armor class for the main character? He doesn't seem to be able to wear armor (his AC is 10) and he's getting slaughtered in every fight. Also, are there quests that give out cash or items? I'm broke and most quests only seem to give out XP.

Thanks,

Han

I started playing for first time couple of days ago, as well.
My humble opinion is that the game is too easy. I mean, it was extremely easy in the mortuary, then it got a little harder until Dak'kon joined me. I've played for around for fifteen hours and I didn't die at all, so I don't know why do you find it to be hard... btw I have str, dex and con all set to 9... And this is my first D&D game.
As for the cash, you can get a lot of it by selling jewelry. You'll find jewelry on thugs'
corpses.

I recently replayed so I can be a bit of help.

AC goes down with your dexterity. Other ways to set it lower (for the Nameless one, but same goes for most other characters you can find) are wearing jewellery - rings, earrings, bracelets, forgot if there are anymore right now. Some of the tattoos that Fell sells (near the Smouldering courpse bar) also lower AC, as some of the spells, that some of the NPC mages (I won't name them here so not to spoil it for you, finding all the joinable NPC's is part of the fun) and the lead zombie, if he is a mage can cast.

Cash is easy to come buy, but there is little point to it, in my opinion. Few items need buying untill the late game, and beside special quest items, a few spell scrolls (since I played a mage) and lots of healing items (very very late in the game, though I hardly used any) there is little point in buying anything else. Doing all the quest certainly gets plenty of cash in the beginning.

Well, cash is not that useless in the beginning (in the Hives). You can buy a couple of pretty useful things.
Also, I've reached Dead Nations and just a couple of quests had money rewards. Definitely best way to earn money in the beginning is to kill and then loot thugs.

Thanks, I might just grab that!!

Well, cash is not that useless in the beginning (in the Hives). You can buy a couple of pretty useful things.

List a couple of those things for me.

As for quest and cash - while running around the Hive over and over again, you can be certain that you'll run into plenty of hostile thugs. Saves the trouble to attack them yourself.

List a couple of those things for me.

Well, for example once you get out of the mortuary for the first time, you do not have a lot of money (150). So when you first reach Smoldering Corpse you cannot buy your eye (500). Then, a bunch of tattoos cost more than 1000... And there are couple of conversations/quests where you can spend money (at least I did). So, when I talked with the bartender who was offering my eye I had around 100. I thought that I will always be low on cash... I am glad that I wasnt right.
So it is kinda hard until you ran into merchants. And of course, you do not have to attack thugs. I did not, and I had more than enough money.

Yo! Greetings to everyone!
I also started this long-postponed game which lay in the desk for ages, waiting.

What's the story with char generation? How do I make him mage? Or if I have made him a fighter somehow, will I be able to, like, go mage from the middle of the road? Some guy here wrote that he managed to spoil his character in the late stages by pumping his intelligence but neglecting something else.

Anyone spare any guidance here?

You have to find someone to train you if you want to be a mage. Good stats are int, wis and cha. I usually start out with 16 in con and gain a level or two as fighter before I turn my character into a mage, for the extra hp. You'll get quite a nice bonus to int if you decide to go mage (6 or so IIRC).

Oh, and don't invest TOO much into charisma. My brother did that. When he got to the final boss he said "Give up!" and the boss said "OK!" and then the end game cinematics (or whatever it is, still hasn't finnished it :rolleyes:) started rolling. You DON'T want that ;).

Übereil

I tried to install this today on my machine and teh install program won't even run anyone know a way around this?

I tried to install this today on my machine and teh install program won't even run anyone know a way around this?

What is your machine? And what happens when you try to install?

Dual core...with win xp...it shows an hour glass for about 2 seconds then nothing happens....someone said something somewhere about running it in safe mode...but seems like a pain to do it that way.

I've heard that PST doesn't like dual core systems. You could try shutting off one of the cores before installing.

This might seem like a silly question, but as I have a dual core system, here goes:- How do you shut off one of the Cores?

Good, but how would that help if the problem begins with installation?

There are these options/parametres to be put into boot.ini shown at the MS web site, used for changing number of cores before Windows loads:

/NUMPROC=

• Specifies the number of CPUs that can be used on a multiprocessor system. Example: /NUMPROC=2 on a four-way system will prevent Windows from using two of the four processors.

/ONECPU

• Causes Windows to use only one CPU on a multiprocessor system.

EDIT: But of course this affects all programs running under Windows.

I played PS:T on a dual-core system with no huge problems. (Some annoying CTD's when there were lots of spell effects on-screen.) The installer certainly ran fine. Haven't tried on Vista.

Th ething is sometimes it works on xp and sometimes it doesn....bah:p

Back
Top Bottom