Kickstarter: Kinetic Void

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void

This is an open ended space mission & trading game with RPG elements in the mold of elite/privateer/free lancer and appears to have tremendous scope including the ability to pilot capital ships and carriers. One of the most engaging features is the ability to design and build ships in a sophistocated dockyard simulation.

Unfortunately Kinetic Void is struggling a bit to obtain it’s funding - they are on about 21K out of 60K at the moment with only 7 days left. I think this may be due to lack of publicity, because the game looks like it will have a wide appeal - I haven’t seen a good game in this genre for some time.

EDIT: You can download the ship builder demo here: http://kineticvoid.badlandstudio.com/the-ship-builder/
This is seriously cool - when you get to understand how it works :).

Last edited:
SkyJacker, with a lot more content to show, seems to have attracted the same level of bakers. Although that kickstarter is technically cancelled by the team that made it to come back with a better approach soon.

Seems like Space games aren't as popular as some people think or they really need marketing help.

SkyJacker, with a lot more content to show, seems to have attracted the same level of bakers. Although that kickstarter is technically cancelled by the team that made it to come back with a better approach soon.

Seems like Space games aren't as popular as some people think or they really need marketing help.

Surely the latter. I'm sure both these games would succeed with a bit more publicity. Look at what happened to the FTL kickstarter after it got written up on PC gamer i.e. it was 20x oversubscribed (those guys must have thought it was christmas). FTL does look interesting, but it's a much less ambitious project than either Skyjacker or Kinetic Void.

I think it would be of great benefit to the gaming community if the press took a greater interest in Kickstarters, but I suppose that they have to worry about writing a glowing recommendation of something that when released turns out to be crap or is just vapor-ware & copping the blame.

I signed up for both of those games....lots of space games on kickstarter, so I doubt they are an unpopular thing.

Good news - Kinetic Void hit it's $60,000 kickstarter goal in the past hour or so with only about 5 hours left to go! Certainly cutting it close a bit. Anyway certainly one to watch if you like open ended space trading games that play a bit like RPGs.

Cool for them.

I wasn't sure these guys would make it, good for them.

I'm not a space dude, but I'm happy for the legions who enjoy those games. Not enough space crpgs out there, so kickstart away.

I have fond memories of the Wing Commander games and Tie fighter, would any of these new games be similar to those?

-Carn

Skyjacker would be the closest. You play as a pirate though. The player climb a ladder of "ranks", get missions from a mission board and can create a "gang". It's based on a series of Russian novels, so there is a "story" behind it. There is also a multiplayer mode (deathmatches, capture the flag, etc) planned. It seems heavy combat oriented.

The other two seems more oriented toward being sandbox trading simulators like the X-series.

Not sure how the combat would compare though. Kinetic Void alpha shipyard demo have Freelancer type of mouse control. Haven't tried Skyjacker yet, but it have 4 flights model anyway and I think only one of them is in the alpha demo…

Back
Top Bottom