BioWare - Laidlaw on the next Dragon Age game

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Gametrailers reports on a presentation from BioWare's Mike Laidlaw at PAX East about the next Dragon Age game. Laidlaw discusses several items but warns "we're not making promises here, we're talking about ideas". For my money, most of the "ideas" are minor elements and there is little discussion of the core issues but here is a sample:
"Suppose, in your party, you have a Gray Warden. And suppose you had a Seeker," he said, showing a male Gray Warden and female Seeker. "And you had this thing: a suit of armor, a chest piece, and it had stats and stuff."
Laidlaw showed that armor set applied to the Warden, then to the Seeker, in concept art form. The armor looked slightly different on each, with "thematic" aesthetic differences applied so "they don't lose their identity in the process." Laidlaw then showed a slew of concept art, with various armor pieces from helmets to shoulder guards to bracers, then full sets, each applied to the two different classes.
He also teased the possibility that players might be able to fully customize armor pieces, applying color and types of material (cloth, leather, mail) to armor sets.
More information.

They had BETTER just be talking about ideas. DA2 was horribly rushed. Now they will need to take longer than normal on DA3 just to convince us they aren't pushing another quick cash-in.

Honestly stopped caring after hearing that Dragon Age 3 would have a dialog wheel.
http://kotaku.com/5896021/skyrim-is-the-wrong-place-to-look-for-dragon-age-iii-inspiration

For whatever reason Bioware/EA is no longer interested in having Dragon Age as spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. This used to be bother me, but not anymore. With Baldur's Gate EE and hints of Baldur's Gate 3, I don't need a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. With the rise of Indie RPG developers that aren't Jeff Vogel, and all these kickstarters valuing niche RPG fans, there are a ton of different options too. I don't need to be bitter at Bioware anymore.

I'm not really certain Bioware knows what they want Dragon Age to be. I wish them luck in discovering that, and delivering that experience to their intended target audience.

No big deal, I'm not part of their target audience… I doubt many here are.

Sounds like Dragon Age 2.5

Everything the same except less rush (no recycled areas, more choices) and the ability to equip companions. That's not enough to distinguish it from D3, Amalur, Dark Souls et al.

Also, why is Laidlaw still at the helm after BioWare's most poorly received game ever (ME3 seems to be "perfect" except for the last 8 minutes)? Either they saw some mega impressive DA2 DLC sales, or they're insanely out of touch.

They should either do an epic mea culpa and go Origins-style or just admit that they want another shot at action adventures and that old school 2d10 people need not apply.

Laidlaw is still there apparently because as much as the community hates him in there eyes he isn't a failure. Each game he makes has made a profit.

Interest is minimal as there last offerings haven't impressed me.

Yawn! Great, every PC will run around in black henceforth and rogues can wear plate armour, splendid.

Also, Orlais? Really? Guess that means lots and lots of fake French accent. And given that Bioware will most likely transfer all available clichés about France into its backstory, and the US are not known for it's favourable views on France, it won't make it easy for me to care about that particular imaginary empire.

Do we get to explore only that? Interest_in_Game -= 2;

Really, who cares about armor customization in DA 3? Is it really that important? At least I hope it won't be an utter disappointment such as DA 2...
If they'll deliver a game as close to Origins as possible, I'll be happy enough.

Yawn! Great, every PC will run around in black henceforth and rogues can wear plate armour, splendid.

Also, Orlais? Really? Guess that means lots and lots of fake French accent. And given that Bioware will most likely transfer all available clichés about France into its backstory, and the US are not known for it's favourable views on France, it won't make it easy for me to care about that particular imaginary empire.

Do we get to explore only that? Interest_in_Game -= 2;

Bioware is a Canadian developer, Dragon Age 1/2 was made in Canada office. So how the US feels about France is not relevent for Dragon Age 3, when it will be Canadians that will be developing it. /shrug

I'm no fan of Bioware these days, but have you guys tried being just slightly fair about this? :)

Imo combat was the #1 thing wrong with DA2. Trying to turn party based RTWP combat in to action combat was a huge failure. No stealth gameplay, no ability to set up ambushes, no scouting ahead, lack of tactics due to waves, action based boss fights, etc. etc. Maybe I just haven't heard anything about changing this but it seem bioware didn't see any of this as a problem.

I don't care about changing the color of armor. I just want to be able to equip whatever I want on my characters. It's an rpg not barbie dress up. Either bioware is severely out of touch with what their fans want or I am.

Either way it doesn't bode well for me enjoy their upcoming offerings in this series.

I am not the fan of Bioware I once was either … but I, at least, will wait and see what develops before pulling out my pitchfork and torch :) Probably a different team but they still make some fun games. Even ME3 was extremely fun and involved (ignoring the whole ending issue).

I enjoyed DA2 even though I hated the reused content, waves of combat, and some of the issues with C&C in the ending.

So will follow and see what happens.

Unfortunately, this probably means FAR less armor options if they have to design each set of armor to suit every class, depending on who wears it at any given time.

But it's yet another example of changing stuff that doesn't necessarily need changing when the "big picture" of what was wrong with DA2 is ignored.

I'm no fan of Bioware these days, but have you guys tried being just slightly fair about this? :)

Hahaha how long have you been reading this site?

Why do they still call themselves Bioware? How dumb do they think we are?

It seems like the whole armor customization bit is a knee-jerk reaction to complaints that there was zero opportunity for customization in DA2. Kind of funny if this was their take-home message from complaints about the 2nd… "Didn't like that lemon of a car I sold to you? Well, how about next time you can pick whatever paint color you want for it?"

Anyway, I'm with Wolfgrim on this one: Wait and see. Always plenty of opportunity to rabble rouse later. :)

It's a start.

However, to get me even remotely thinking of taking the next game seriously they need to promise, no SWEAR that the most egregious of the annoyances of the game, the "wave" system of flogging you w/ parachuting and teleporting mobs is gone.

Not minimized, not rarely used, fucking GONE.

Back
Top Bottom