InXile Entertainment - Brian Fargo Crowdfunding Wasteland 2?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Seems everyone is suddenly interested in crowd-funding with Matt Barton reporting Brian Fargo is interested in looking at crowd-funding Wasteland 2. You may recall inXile secured the trademark many years ago but nothing seems to have happened since:
This just in from Brian Fargo: "I thought you all might be interested to know we are seriously looking at bringing a new Wasteland back with crowdsource funding. If we get enough support it could finally happen. Nothing would make me happier."
More information.

I was 18 when Wasteland kept me up all night long.

25 years later can they capture the same appeal?

If this is a tease or joke I'm going to egg someone's house. Wasteland was awesome, and the news that there might be a sequel has gotten me all kinds of happy!!! I'm guessing this is a far way out from a solid commitment though, at this point.

-Carn

Do it. Please do it. How do I show support, so you'll at least make the kick starter attempt?

Though I do agree with Dhruin (look what they did to Bard's Tale after all), I'd still like to see them attempt it, without publishers telling them what kind of game they would have to make to sell.

Looks like it's the new trend now. I wonder who will be next?

Last edited:
In related news, Jon Van Caneghem has left Electronic Arts to help reform Sir-Tech and bring us a new title in the style of Wizardry & M&M, funded by crowd-sourcing.

CROWD!! What is this Croud?!

I finished it in a weekend rental I remember. It wasn't very meaty at all, or that memorable unfortunately. (Although I can still hum parts of the "It's bad luck to be you" tune…) Hunted on the other hand, took a little longer…had some old school inklings in the dungeon design here and there, but wasn't overly 'hardcore'.

That all said, this is a really fascinating concept. As a Fallout fan and radiated devourer of post-apocalyptica, I'd love to see it happen. :D Like Dhruin said though, it's hard not to be skeptical and doubt in the face of a lack of convincing evidence in the affirmative up to this point.

If its like the "new" Bards Tale, lol no.

You're missing the point with crowd funding. If they're going all derpety-derp on Wasteland 2 too they wouldnt need crowd funding, they just need EA or some other "AAA"-publisher to fund it.

Well, I can see this quickly turning into opportunism - so I'd be very, very sceptical about what should be funded.

Not because I care about the money, but because it's such a waste of excitement over something that will never happen.

A proper Wasteland 2 is something I'd love to see, even if it's not my style. But the crap turned out by Fargo in recent years? Nah.

Wasteland was a little before my time, but Fallout 1 & 2 are my all-time favorites (been playing New Vegas DLC recently too), so needless to say, I am excited for the possibilities. Maybe it will give us a glimpse of what Van Buren could have been.

You're missing the point with crowd funding. If they're going all derpety-derp on Wasteland 2 too they wouldnt need crowd funding, they just need EA or some other "AAA"-publisher to fund it.

How else would they do it? Even with all this Crowd Funding and what not they're not going to produce some first person turn based combat game. With the exception of some people here (myself included) and the Codex consumers simply aren't interested in that type of game anymore. Sorry. It will be another game like the recent Bard's Tale installment from Brian Fargo himself. So yes, they will be "derpety-derp"-ing away.

This whole crowd funding thing "seems" awesome. And is!. But man the backfire potential when "people" don't get the game they wanted. Gonna be ugly.

How else would they do it? Even with all this Crowd Funding and what not they're not going to produce some first person turn based combat game. With the exception of some people here (myself included) and the Codex consumers simply aren't interested in that type of game anymore. Sorry. It will be another game like the recent Bard's Tale installment from Brian Fargo himself. So yes, they will be "derpety-derp"-ing away.

Well you're wrong. The whole idea with crowd funding is to get away from the publishers grip and make games that the fans, and the devs, wants. I'm pretty confident neither Schafer or Fargo are doing this because its impossible for them to find a publisher and do yet another derp game. I couldnt care less for Fargo's Bard's Tale or Schafner's Brutal Legends, but the fact is those games had publishers, and as it happens that has a very big impact on the outcome.

At least it sounds like a good idea.

Of course, the franchise will have to be updated for modern tastes, first-person perspective, real-time, all that. As long as there are plenty of cutscenes, I'll be fine with it.

Of course, the franchise will have to be updated for modern tastes, first-person perspective, real-time, all that. As long as there are plenty of cutscenes, I'll be fine with it.

I'm usually not one for internet meme's, but this just begs for a:
attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom