NWN2 - Reviews @ IGN & Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Both IGN and Eurogamer have published their reviews for NWN2. Let's kick off with IGN, who scored it at 8.5/10:
From the starting town of West Harbor, it'll be a little while before you reach the city of Neverwinter. Once there, the plot picks up as your various adversaries are unmasked and you can choose a number of paths to move the story forward. The plot manages to stay interesting, buoyed by generally strong writing for conversations and the occasional witty quip. Neverwinter Nights 2 features a large amount of voiced dialogue, most of which will pass over your eardrums without inducing a cringe, and occasionally make you laugh along.
Kieron Gillen takes over the keyboard for Eurogamer's critique, with a score of 8/10. Here's a late snip:
Seven or an eight, seven or an eight...
There's a nagging sense that - perhaps - we're reaching the end of the road of the Black-Isle/Bioware model western-style role-playing game. Jade Empire reviewed well, but disappeared almost immediately from public discourse, dismissed as a Knights of the Old Republic in wushu clothing. Yeah, it was good, but it was good in the same old way. Whatever Bioware do with Dragon Age will be very interesting. In that way, while hugely improved over the original Neverwinter Nights' campaign, this is essentially Baldur's Gate. Shouldn't we be looking for...
Rewind that. This is essentially Baldur's Gate.
Thanks, Melvil.
More information.

I agree - it is like NWN meets KotOR meets BG2, in quite a good way!

Nwn.....Baldours gate.... titles,titles. Who cares, I like it!!

I hope I will not live long enough to see that jRPG conquers the whole RPG market. Not that I think that it will ever happen....Scratch that. I hope I will live long enough to see when jRPG starts conquering the RPG market...;D

Sorry, but Japanese RPG's are an oxymoron!!

WOW, I'm supposed to buy/play games for the cinematics? :) IIRC, we had a spate of games like that a few years ago, and they all died quickly!! PTL!! :biggrin:

Ah, happily do we live without hate amongst the hateful; amidst hateful men we dwell unhating.

WOW, I'm supposed to buy/play games for the cinematics? :) IIRC, we had a spate of games like that a few years ago, and they all died quickly!! PTL!! :biggrin:
It was a joke ;) Actually, I'm not a console gamer so I can't speak for those. But the ports I play on the PSP tell me that they are more like cinematic-heavy action-adventure games than even action-RPG's as defined by the Diablo-likes.

Yeah, I knew that, thus my comment!! Perhaps my Aussie sense of humour doesn't work on you Yanks!! (or vice versa) :biggrin:
I got it - but in light of a couple of comments on my handheld column I wanted to be sure to clarify that I'm not a console gamer.

To me, console gamer is also almost an oxymoron!! Well, at least the last part!! :biggrin:

At GamerDad I've learned a lot about consoles and console gamers. I have a lot of respect for them now, but don't like what the drive for $$ has done to my most loved genres (first RPG and now FPS, with Call of Duty 3 being released for X360 and PS3 only)

Back
Top Bottom