DA:O Orzammar spoiler question *SPOILERS*

Dragon Age: Origins
I've never used him; I like my 3 women plus ME party!! :)

Personally, I prefer Shale.

Which brings me to a question for the Orzammar finishers:

Did you guys choose Branka or Carradin?

First time I sided with Caridin, second time with Branka. I really liked the combat scenario that ensued. I think you get different epilogues for the four possible "siding" combinations (Harrowmont - Branka, Bhelen - Caridin, etc).
Btw, if you want to side with Branka, better leave Shale in camp. With some coercion you won´t loose him that way and you´ll still be able to finish his personal quest.

Personally, I prefer Shale.

I chose Carradin (seemed like the 'good' approach) and it's kind of funny that Oghren doesn't mind all that much killing his beloved wife that he's been searching for years! - an overall -3 disapproval if I remember correctly... I get more dissaproval from Morrigan when I look at her the wrong way.

By the way Oghren won't talk to you until that whole quest is completed.

I decided to see what happens
if I chose Branka, and Wynne disapproved -15!

I sided with Branka, despite my Mage being basically a good guy type hero. I couldn't pass up that kind of usefulness given the threat of the Blight. My decision was ultimately justified by how much the Golems helped in the end. Wynne wasn't there for that part, even though I had had her around for nearly all of the game. Someone had to make way for Ogrhen, and I didn't want to leave Alistair my tank behind, or Zev too many traps and chests around to not bring a Rogue. Alistair also disapproves quite a bit if you side with Branka. Totally worth it though, Golems are badass, they are awesome against the Archdemon. Just make sure to keep them healed, and victory is inevitable. A true Grey Warden should always side with Branka, IMO.

Is there any way to side with harrowmont and still have the better dwarven eding because although Harrowmont seems the good coice his crowning is supposed to be no good for the dwarves..... ???

L.

Is there any way to side with harrowmont and still have the better dwarven eding because although Harrowmont seems the good coice his crowning is supposed to be no good for the dwarves….. ???

Oh? Why is that? I did the dwarven noble origin, so there was no way I was going to side with Behlen. Now I'm curious as to what would be the "better" ending?

The problem here as someone who knew nothing about the dwarves is that you're really not given much information about which one to support. For me it was a guess based on which lackey I liked best before I ever met the principals. One was far more arrogant, so I went the other way.

Generally, I've only been able to get a "good" dwarven ending by being a dwarven noble.

The problem here as someone who knew nothing about the dwarves is that you're really not given much information about which one to support. For me it was a guess based on which lackey I liked best before I ever met the principals. One was far more arrogant, so I went the other way.

Very true. In fact that whole choosing sides thing doesn't make too much sense:
Firstly it's illogical for each of them to make such demands from you as if it's you that somehow need them, although you just need a king -any king - on the throne. They need the Gray Warden to gain influence while the Grey Warden is given little reason to prefer one of them over the other.

Secondly, I can't see any justification for choosing Behlen (I haven't played the Dwarf origins though) - his representative bosses you around as if you're some servant which doesn't make any sense, especially if you consider how you were welcomed into Orzammar while the regent's own representative wasn't allowed in!
Behlen demands you to prove your loyalty (and why on earth would he expect you be loyal to him in the first place?) by having you do his dirty work… I can't think that even an 'evil' character would accept that easily since I expect that he would be egotistic enough to not enjoy being pushed around -especially when things get dangerous and especially when Harrowmont wants you to take part in an honorable event instead.
I think it's a shame because, overall, I really enjoyed Orzammar and the Deep Roads, but that 'dilemma' is, in my opinion, the clumsiest part of the game by far.

Last edited:
Well I think that even if you didn't play the Dwarven Noble origin (I played through most of the origins just to "see", but I continued with my Dalish warrior), you do get subtle hints in the game, that one of them is the more honorable candidate.

Before I did the Dwarve noble origin, I was simply more inclined to side with one of the candidates because of reasons the other posters mentioned, but I wasn't 100% sure. Of course, playing through the origin story completely made my mind up for me.

Perhaps the devs did it the way they did for more potential variety with replays? You might side with one side if you did a different origin, and then once you did the Dwarven noble, you'd possibly change your mind... ;)

Well I think that even if you didn't play the Dwarven Noble origin (I played through most of the origins just to "see", but I continued with my Dalish warrior), you do get subtle hints in the game, that one of them is the more honorable candidate.

Subtle hints are good in many situations, but here we're talking about two people fighting for the crown and a civil war ready to happen for them: not a very subtle matter. Essentially there should at least be some sort of campaign (other than the blatantly obvious propaganda of their criers) and most citizens should have some opinion on the matter - I mean they're about to kill each other and they don't care about politics?

Not to mention the fanatics that appear out of thin air after you've made up your mind - where were they hiding before that? Why couldn't I talk to them before and ask them what's so great about the candidate they support.

I really don't think it's that's complicated. There is no "right" or "wrong" choice in that matter.
You have to make a choice though… if there's no "right" or "wrong" one and/or no profitable or beneficial one etc. then how am I supposed to choose? Should I just flip for it? For the "choices and consequences" concept to work shouldn't there at least be some sort of expected or foreseeable consequence for each choice?

For the "choices and consequences" concept to work shouldn't there at least be some sort of expected or foreseeable consequence for each choice?

From the game it´s quite clear you´re choosing between a honorable fossil and a progressive asshole. It´s a good case of ambiguity, I´d say, though I agree it should be a bit more pronounced in-game.
The consequences are sufficiently foreseeable imo. Coupled with Branka/Caridin decision, defintely not clear as a day, but why it should be?

From the game it´s quite clear you´re choosing between a honorable fossil and a progressive asshole. It´s a good case of ambiguity, I´d say,

That is why I think that if you had not done the Dwarven origin, you'd in all probability decide to go for the progressive guy; but doing the origin would give you a personal reason not to.

So: a nice way to rig the situation for replayability. Apparently there are 4-5 possible endings for the dwarves.

You have to make a choice though… if there's no "right" or "wrong" one and/or no profitable or beneficial one etc. then how am I supposed to choose? Should I just flip for it? For the "choices and consequences" concept to work shouldn't there at least be some sort of expected or foreseeable consequence for each choice?

That's not what I was saying. What I mean is that there is no clear good or evil here. There is only whatever choice is right for *you* as a role-player.

I liked the choices available; you could try to do something good but its result could be not something that you have hoped for, much like in the reality. Plus, even a good guy have personality flaws.

Back
Top Bottom