KoA: Reckoning - PAX Preview @ The Escapist

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Escapist has a look at Reckoning from the PAX presentation that I missed from a few days back:
After finishing up in the cave, 38 brought us above ground to what they hope will be a "world worth saving." 38's design philosophy is to create a gorgeous world that players will want to protect, and judging by the demo they're already succeeding. Imagine World of Warcraft, but with a major upgrade. The use of color, particularly within the lighting system, makes everything look vibrant and attractive to the eyes. It'll be worth it to explore the world too, because a path in the forest could lead to a hidden cache of treasure, a special gathering point, or even unique foes that you won't find anywhere else.
More information.

"Imagine World of Warcraft, but with a major upgrade."
I'd rather not ~ once again make your own damned game already, stop trying to copy Blizzard!!!

I'd rather not ~ once again make your own damned game already, stop trying to copy Blizzard!!!

I'm confused how you got that from reading that sentance. They aren't copying world of warcraft, they say it has a lot of color like world of warcraft....you sort of jumped to conclusions there.

I tend to chalk that description up to lazy writing.

There's no doubt that the graphic design places a large emphasis on artistic representation rather than realism, which I suppose WoW does as well, but they really don't look the same to me.

If anything, I would say that the graphics in this game look rather unique. Not saying it's good or bad (can't tell either way yet), but it at least looks different...which is probably exactly how McFarlane wanted it.

Biggest question mark is combat. And chances are, no description will ever give me a good feel for that. Will just have to try it myself and see if it's fun...

Btw, this is the first time I've seen the loot system in this game described in more detail than "like Diablo", with confirmation that the drops will indeed be random, that there are thousands of combinations possible, and that there are unique and set items (oh, and the "junk bag" sounds like a nice touch).

So let's see if I get this straight. They're combining the open world of an Elder Scrolls game with the combat of God of War and the constant treasure hunting of Diablo, and setting it to a story penned by a successful published fantasy author.

Sounds good to me, now if only they can get that combat right...

There are a couple of handheld videos of the pax demo on YouTube. Combat looks pretty fun.

I'm confused how you got that from reading that sentance. They aren't copying world of warcraft, they say it has a lot of color like world of warcraft….you sort of jumped to conclusions there.

Indeed, and that sounds good to me. WoW is the only MMO I have ever put any real time into and I mainly did so because I found the world so lovely to explore.

i heard they were planning to make an mmo out of this as well, weith this game as the one that sets the stage

like wc3 for wow, in a way

Back
Top Bottom