Playing PS:T for the first time

Toaster

Sentinel
As the title says: I finally got around to buy Planescape: Torment from GOG and I've just started playing it for the first time.

I've installed a widescreen mod, some kind of hi-res mod, a fixpack and some tweaks according to this guide. Is there anything else I should get before I venture much further in the game?

My first thoughts of the game is: seems interesting. I made my character have high intelligence and wisdom since I plan to explore those aspects of the game more than actual combat min-maxing. I hope this'll work out and I won't get too frustrated with the lack of the kind of convenience features modern games have taught me to expect...

I tried to get back to PT within the last year and yeah the lack of modern convenience features is rough.

My first thoughts of the game is: seems interesting. I made my character have high intelligence and wisdom since I plan to explore those aspects of the game more than actual combat min-maxing.

Oh no, you'll have far more fun working up your social stats. If you play this game in a "normal" mix-max, physical-centric way you'll miss out on a lot! Just bear through the old-ness of things and you'll find a real treat.

Going with int-wis is definitely the best option. In fact, wisdom is the most important stat in PS: T. You might have a hard time in certain fights, but you'll get so much more out of the dialogue.

If you do run into trouble, just let us know. :)

Fight? That is what you have party members for ;) Wis/Cha are the two stats that I found to be the most useful, although Int is also very good to have.

Planescape can provide headaches and boredom for anyone who is planning to speak with every NPC and read every line of the dialogues and journal entries and English is not his native language. I got the game around two years ago, but soon I found out that I need to understand English as good as someone who originally speaks it if I want to have a good experience with the game. I mean we are talking about 800,000 lines of dialogues. :/

Back
Top Bottom