RPGCodex = "banned"

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
Once in awhile I discover a link to a website called "rpgcodex" which seems to be a computerrpg forum where several unofficial patches (Arcanum, Bloodlines etc) are published.

Whenever I click on that link I am met with the following message:

rpgcodexbanned.jpg

Well, the weird part is that I never visited the site "unbanned" and I doubt I have ever registered to the site. I would like to ask here if anyone got a contact over there or an account so that they might ask an admin if this issue could be solved.

It might be that they banned my IP before I got it, or that my ISP is banned or something like that. To get my IP number, ping jemym.no-ip.com

Trust me you're not missing anything. The Watch is a lot better for RPG news and you don't have to worry about a dozen trolls insulting you for no reason. Most of the threads at the Codex end up being a big flamefest, mostly due to lack of moderators.

Trust me you're not missing anything. The Watch is a lot better for RPG news and you don't have to worry about a dozen trolls insulting you for no reason. Most of the threads at the Codex end up being a big flamefest, mostly due to lack of moderators.

Actually, I noted they had an Arcanum forum and im interested to read about the unnofficial updates to the game.

JemyM, RPG Codex is the site Vault Dweller administered before leaving to concentrate on Age of Decadence (or whatever version of that story you prefer). If you haven't registered there, I guess it must be an IP ban. Drop me a PM with your IP (if you're OK with that) and I'll talk to them.

Otherwise, many RPG Codex folks read here as well.

You're referring to Drog Black Tooth's Arcanum patches - interesting stuff. You'll find Terra-Arcanum (linked by JDR13) will also have links and info, although the original threads are from RPG Codex.

Whoa! I'm posting this to the admins right now. Sorry for any inconvenience; the Arcanum patch thread is definitely good enough to be publicly available :) And it's definitely the place to go if you'd ever like to contribute.

Last edited:
I had the same problem on another gaming site. A friend suggested I should visit and check it out. When I did for the first time, I found I was banned as well. Despite talking with the site admin, no-one could figure out how it happened, or how to get me unbanned!! I think it had something to do with what my router was doing with my IP address.

In such a case you can go through a proxi server. Just use Google to find a free, anonymous proxy.

Thanks for the help everybody, and thanks for the forums. I found some useful information already. :)

I had the same problem on another gaming site. A friend suggested I should visit and check it out. When I did for the first time, I found I was banned as well. Despite talking with the site admin, no-one could figure out how it happened, or how to get me unbanned!! I think it had something to do with what my router was doing with my IP address.

Or is because you're a very VERY bad boy?

I had the same problem at a KOTOR site. I never registered or posted, yet one day I was banned.

I contacted them through a computer at school and they tried to fix the problem but in the end they just told me to use Firefox instead of Explorer. That did the trick, no more IP ban.

I've used FF for years (IE is a virus) and it didn't help me!! :)

I also use FireFox these days.

It's par for the course to be abused by laughably pathetic cliques and internet 'hard men' on the codex. It's necessary either to ignore abuse or give as good as you get. Apart from that it’s actually quite good, and there’s genuinely stimulating intellectual debate there if you thread around the spastics. The only real objection I have to the codex is the creepy Fallout worship. Fallout = good game. Fallout != the second coming of the Christ.

What Ive read the codex forums it seems many people there curse a lot and hate everything. Just reading the topics I come across the words:"hate fuck hate crippled drama suck ass etc". Somone there even proposed making an official "I hate x" thread.

Lots of hate and angst and som weird fallout stuff. But othervice it seems like a nice place with interesting play threads etc.

Last edited:
What Ive read the codex forums it seems many people there curse a lot and hate everything. Just reading the topics I come across the words:"hate fuck hate crippled drama suck ass etc". Somone there even proposed making an official "I hate x" thread.

Lots of hate and angst and som weird fallout stuff.
Most of the "hate and angst" seems to be posted "for the lulz".

Well, JemyM has every single new Bioware-Game that was released on PC, he is probably to mainstream for their forums :)

Well, JemyM has every single new Bioware-Game that was released on PC, he is probably to mainstream for their forums :)

I actually own every Black Isle and Obsidian game as well. I would be even more proud over my Ultima I and original Pools of Radiance if the boxes weren't broken to pieces and the goodies (such as the Ultima I coin) gone.

Getting back to the original issue: it's true that the problem is with RPG Codex not liking JemyM's IP. Do you need to use the no-ip.com domain? It seems we've had quite some troubles with people from there throughout the years; to quote our admin,
that entire IP range is banned. I suspect there's a good reason. Looking at the site, http://www.no-ip.com/ it's one of those "protect your privacy" things, which basically means spammers and trolls are inclined to use it. We do forum moderation on a mass scale.

(Before someone points out that the immature Codex folks are insulting people left and right again, no one has said JemyM is a spammer or a troll)

Do you need to use the no-ip.com domain?

After using no-ip.com for several years, with six domains, it's near impossible for me to go through the hassle of stopping to use it. Every forum I am a member of have the avatar linked to one of them, in several forums I have sigs pointing at them, my portfolio CD is hotlinked to them etc... One of the sites is famous enough to make me receive complains within a day informing me whenever it's down... If that is the case, I have to let rpgcodex.com go for now, or try the proxy tip.

Back
Top Bottom