Skyrim - Preview @ PC Gamer

The problem is that to make a good coop game you need to focus on that experience, which means the singleplayer would suffer. Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, Magicka, Resident Evil 5… these are games that focused on coop and thus became much less fun in singleplayer. I don't want a singleplayer franchise like The Elder Scrolls to become a coop game, which would harm the singleplayer experience I personally favor.

I'm all for more coop RPGs, just not changing a singleplayer franchise like this one into it.

I don't think those games were less fun because of the multiplayer - but because they were designed largely FOR multiplayer and not singleplayer.

It's all about implementation. System Shock 2 worked great in singleplayer, and even if the multiplayer mode was half-assed, it was still great fun. Neverwinter Nights worked great in singleplayer with a good campaign.

A good open world CRPG like Skyrim, that takes the time to implement coop properly - would be quite a fantastic experience for someone like myself.

But I don't think you have to worry, as there's no indication TES will have that.

At some point, some developer - like with TW2 - is bound to try and pull it off, and I'll let the result speak for itself.

Until then, I'll just have my little dream of a cooperative open world game, without the horrible hollow grind of the average subscription based MMO.

And I have some difficulty you not understanding me.

To me, there's not much difference in playing Borderlands in co-op style and to ply co-op in general.

So, playing Baldur's Gate 2 cooperatively is just like playing Borderlands cooperatively?

You don't think the actual game makes a difference?

JDR13, true they traditionally do have action element but I would hate to see combat sped up too fast, like in DA 2 or a typical arcade fighting game.

How about sharing the hero role and having the world revolve around the party?
Party based adventures are great, but they concentrate on the 'adventure' for me, rather than the virtual life thing. What I have always loved about the Elder Scrolls game is the feeling of taking on another life, with some of the mundane as well as the adventure - if you want to. Who's life am I living in a party based game? If you apply the same level of non-adventure stuff (like creating a profession for your hero, a routine) then it becomes more like the sims than a fantasy game. Oddly that kind of thing begins to work when you scale up to a persistent world or MMO, but then you can't have the world revolve around the party.

Party based adventures are great, but they concentrate on the 'adventure' for me, rather than the virtual life thing. What I have always loved about the Elder Scrolls game is the feeling of taking on another life, with some of the mundane as well as the adventure - if you want to. Who's life am I living in a party based game? If you apply the same level of non-adventure stuff (like creating a profession for your hero, a routine) then it becomes more like the sims than a fantasy game. Oddly that kind of thing begins to work when you scale up to a persistent world or MMO, but then you can't have the world revolve around the party.

I think you're too rigidly thinking of what has been done in the past, rather than what's possible.

It's fully possible to have a party be "heroes" when doing quests that are part of the main story - and yet "live" separate lives doing sidequests or just exploring the world.

They wouldn't even need to be in close proximity - but just have the story presented whenever something important was taking place. This is what they did in Neverwinter Nights - and it worked quite well.

Just because it hasn't been done yet, doesn't mean it can't be done - or that there aren't ways around the immediate obstacles.

As I said, it's all about planning for it - and that's what's never been done.

As I said, it's all about planning for it - and that's what's never been done.

I tried to do it with our persistent world (which was also designed to be a fun offline virtual world module for parties as well). NWN really didn't do it by default IMHO (but it was great for adventures), and I tried as hard as I could to rationalise hero-centric world story with multiplayer, but even after I'd devised some neat mechanics that worked the behind the scenes stuff, it was impossible to completely eradicate certain paradoxes without constraining free form gameplay. Of course, I'm not saying that my efforts couldn't easily be surpassed, but it would definitely have to compromise something which I value about TES.

I do appreciate where you are coming from however - the upcoming Neverwinter might be closer to what you're looking for.

Hmmm perhaps we need a game where we aren't the main hero, just another hero in the world. I'm not saying go all the way to one side like a MMO, but perhaps making you a minor character in a larger world. It's an interesting idea that I think may be a bit hard to actually implement.

I have enjoyed some of the coop-rpgs I've played over the years. But I'm not a big fan of that idea being applied to TES. There are so many multiplayer games out there I hope some series like TES just stay single player.

Dragon … Dragon … returning … Dragon Age ? Cataclysm ? Divinity 2 ? Drakensang ?

I guess there's a little bit too much dragons around in the genre, lately … ;)

Lol indeed. Besides, I'd rather join the dragons than kill them. XD

Othewise tho, it all sounds swell. ^^

DArtagnan, there is supposedly a TES online game being developed by Zenimax multimedia. I'm not sure if Bethesda Softworks is involved or not, they may very well be. So you might be getting your wish for a TES MMO. The only MMO I've ever tried was Minions of Mirth and while it was kinda fun, I've really never had the interest to play another.

If you gave me 5 minutes and a piece of paper and asked me to come up with a cool plot for TES5 I swear to God I could do better than "DUDE… DRAGONS!"
Ok, go ahead. I suppose several of us wold be intersted in what you could come up with.

DArtagnan, there is supposedly a TES online game being developed by Zenimax multimedia. I'm not sure if Bethesda Softworks is involved or not, they may very well be. So you might be getting your wish for a TES MMO. The only MMO I've ever tried was Minions of Mirth and while it was kinda fun, I've really never had the interest to play another.

Man haven't heard that name in ages....I developed some of the zones there.

Ok, go ahead. I suppose several of us wold be intersted in what you could come up with.

Honestly I would have set it on Summerset Isle with the Sload invading. The Altmer are split because half of them are turning back to the old Daedric gods to try and save themselves while the other more Imperial loyalists struggle to manage both the Sload and their dangerous brethren.

In the midst of this you are a prisoner who escapes jail during a Sload attack on the local village and you must pick your sides and save Summerset Isle... OR DESTROY IT.

DUN DUN DUN.

Actually, that was quite interesting. :)

And since my complete nickname is "pibbur dragon" (of the Ultima Dragons), I'm not too happy with slaying the gentle giants.

There are some mods out there that made Oblivion multiplayer. So if the devs don't plan of doing coop, there will be players out there who can make mods for Skyrim.

There are some mods out there that made Oblivion multiplayer. So if the devs don't plan of doing coop, there will be players out there who can make mods for Skyrim.

If they could make it work properly, that would be great.

However, such a thing is a gigantic undertaking - because if a game of this scope isn't designed for multiplayer, i'd say it's close to impossible for the modding community to make it work with a decent implementation.

Man haven't heard that name in ages….I developed some of the zones there.

How did the name actually evolve ?

To me, it's an almost perfect example of an alliteration - I'm deeply impressed any time I read it.

And that's the only reason why I could remember this name. ;)

come on , multiplayer sucks
i already had enough with the kill kill kill sociopaths

Do you play cooperatively with "kill kill kill sociopaths"? :)

Maybe you should explore new social circles!

Back
Top Bottom