What Game Should I Play Next?

If I had the original Gothic and couldn't use my DVD - I'd just download the torrent in a heartbeat.

Yeah I don't really want to open my router ports for the torrent client, and not really comfortable installing a torrent client on my laptop (used for work). Terribly irrational, eh? :p

Galactic Civilizations 2 is what Master of Orion 2 would have been without a good game designer at the helm.

Yeah I don't really want to open my router ports for the torrent client, and not really comfortable installing a torrent client on my laptop (used for work). Terribly irrational, eh? :p

Torrent clients are completely legal and are used for all kinds of legit software downloads :)

Then again, I have no idea what kind of policy your place of work has in place.

I just remembered you're not located in a rational country either, so forgive me ;)

MoO2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GC2

:cool:

Daaaaaamn! And I though my backlog list was shameful. I bow to your overwhelming gluttony. :D

Lots of very good games on that list, obviously. A few that catch my eye:

Dungeon Siege 2 - button masher action RPG, but extremely well done with good rewards for exploring and the rare set collection is painfully addictive. Better than DS1 and DS3, also the DS2 expansion is very disappointing so skip it

Elemental - Still on my short "to buy" list, I'm just looking for a trustworthy review so this recommendation is purely selfish. ;)

Eschalon1 (and 2) - Old skool indie goodness. Kinda ugly and the story wasn't exactly engrossing, but this game does what it does nearly perfectly

Majesty Gold - A real gem, and a little unique as a RTS that's often passive. Sounds stupid, but it really works and the game has an absolute shitload of charm.

Thanks! Funny thing is that I bought most of those at $5 or much lower. I should be able to resell them at a profit. ;) DS II and the Eschalon's would fit a fix for isometric style RPGs. Good consideration.

People still use CDs? :)

Haha! I think the same thing about ... well, everything. I have been all-digital in each medium for about as long as I could possibly manage.

Installed the gog.com download and played the intro of Realms of Haunting. Pretty good! I thought the live action would be cheesy but it's solid. Nice!

Elemental - Still on my short "to buy" list, I'm just looking for a trustworthy review so this recommendation is purely selfish.

If you're not concerned with multiplayer features - then the latest semi-sequel/expansion thingy called Legendary Heroes is coming out soon.

Overall, I'd say it's clearly the best 4X fantasy strategy game since Master of Magic (except perhaps AoW Shadow Magic with patch 1.4) - but it doesn't quite capture the same feeling.

Installed the gog.com download and played the intro of Realms of Haunting. Pretty good! I thought the live action would be cheesy but it's solid. Nice!
Ahhh, another one who likes my favorite game of all times :D.

It did work quite well. I had a bit of a lull after a tough battle and just couldn't pick it up back again later. I'll probably start from scratch again soon and give it another shot.

Thanks! I may want to go strategy. Are any of those turn-based?

Although you've already started one… Anachronox is turn-based. Get it next.

People still use CDs? :)
I've made almost everything into a digital copy (since not everything is available yet) and dumped or gave away CDs. And comparing today and a few years back… My room now for no apparent reason looks unbelievably tidy! :D

Sunk some time into Realms of Haunting over the weekend. All I can say is just WOW! I really like the companion commenting on everything you inspect, and being able discuss topics with her. I am a sucker for any game with well done companions.

But the controls, terrible. Unfortunately, GOG screws up again, and only provides the basic original UK version. But if you want to remap your keys in game using the enhanced US version, the help on modifying the GOG install to do so described on the GOG forums was no good. It ruined the speech audio on my Win 64 machine. However, the following approach works fine:

Changing key-bindings in Realms of the Haunting (UK release)

I now have normal WASD FPS controls. Yay! Mapped Q and E to turn left and right. Also, holding down both mouse buttons gives you mouse free look ala standard FPS's of today. :)

Back
Top Bottom