RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2011: Most Promising indie RPG in 2012

I thought they stopped developing Dead State and moved to another project and that there's no telling when it will be released.

I think your getting confused with that Cthulhu based game that was put on hold. I believe Oscar was making it. Hopefully when AoD gets released they can spread some of the resources back to that one.

Dead State is up and running at full speed…..well full speed for an indie :)

Last edited:
I think you getting confused with that Cthulhu based game that was put on hold. I believe Oscar was making it. Hopefully when AoD gets released they can spread some of the resources back to that one.

Dead State is up and running at full speed…..well full speed for an indie :)
Actually you're right, I got it mixed up with Kotc 2. Another potential good one if it gets finished.

Actually it was Scott whose Cthulhu game is on hold. Oscar is working on both Dead State and AoD .

I believe AoD is much closer to being finished and I think everybody is pushing hard to get the Demo out the door.

AoD is certainly my most anticipated game of 2012 and EB3 is close behind. I am looking forward to Dead State, but I have the feeling it will be a 2013 game.

The only AAA game that has much interest is the XCOM game being made by Firaxis...Its going to have TB combat!!!!!

The only AAA game that has much interest is the XCOM game being made by Firaxis…Its going to have TB combat!!!!!

I am always on the lookout for a proper Xcom-style game, too. I don't have the best sense yet how this one will turn out, though turn based is a good start. You might also want to consider Xenonauts, which I can tell you, with certainty, is a faithful remake of the original Xcom:

http://www.xenonauts.com/

I bouht into the alpha on Desura, and it is quite fun. If you are looking to play hours on end today, you might want to hold off….or save often. It still crashes a lot. :p

Edit: Dead State and AoD got my votes.

Last edited:
Does Xeno have any rpg aspects to it, or is it pure strategy?? Anything like Xcom already has me interested, that was a sweet game in the 90's. Wasn't that Microprose?

-Carn

Does Xeno have any rpg aspects to it, or is it pure strategy?? Anything like Xcom already has me interested, that was a sweet game in the 90's. Wasn't that Microprose?

Yes, I believe it was Microprose. Your squaddies have a list of 10 or so attributes, such as marksmanship, which increase through use and training, just like the original. You equip them with weapons, armor and gear...and can even rename them as you like. You loot alien technoloy and corpses for research and manufacture. You equip your jets that shoot down the UFOs, and even choose where your squaddies sit on them, and vehicles for battle at the crash sites. You build bases and the facilities inside. All very much like the original. One could argue it is too much of a carbon copy of he original, but this is a plus in my eyes.

By posting in the thread about which games should be listed, which ran for at least a week before the actual voting started.
A week is not a long time. But then again such polls aren't to be taken seriously anyway.

(…) All very much like the original. One could argue it is too much of a carbon copy of he original, but this is a plus in my eyes.
I don't understand that argument anyway. The video game industry produces sequels ALL THE TIME. Somtimes extremely similar variants of basically the same game in a very short period of time. What's wrong with a nice, modern version of a nearly twenty years old game?

Btw, does Xenonauts have individualized equipment or how does it handle equipping the squad before battle? Easily the biggest problem with the original UFO for me.

Last edited:
Btw, does Xenonauts have individualized equipment or how does it handle equipping the squad before battle? Easily the biggest problem with the original UFO for me.

Yes, you equip your soldiers individually. At your base, there's a "soldiers" tab, as well as a "vehicles" tab. From those tabs in the base, you can equipment each squaddie and vehicle, before sending them out, as well as assigning squaddies to vehicles. Here's a link to the screenshot gallery, which has some equipping grabs:

http://www.xenonauts.com/category/screenshot-gallery/

Back
Top Bottom