Might and Magic VII Character Classes

First, how exactly is XP distributed between party members? After playing for awhile, I noticed that all my characters have slightly different XP totals. Is this related to class, stats, etc?

It's been a while since I played MM6, but I seem to recall a skill called Learning that affects XP gain. Other than that I think it should be equal. Maybe being dead has an effect.

About Perception.. I know secret doors, etc. will turn red if someone in my party has high enough Perception to detect them, but is it still possible to use those things even if they're not detected? i.e. Can I open a secret door by clicking on that area if it's not detected?

No.

What are generally considered the "must have" skills to start with? I already regret not having Identify or Disarm Trap in my party.

I also like having Repair, Perception and Alchemy. The latter is optional.

My only complaint is that there seems to be very little penalty for a party member getting killed. Only 20 gold per level to resurrect them, and completely restore hit and spell points?

I believe that depends on where you do it. In New Sorpigal the temple is very cheap.

Been messing around with M&MVI all morning with a party I created. Not sure if it's going to turn into a full playthrough right now, but I've got a few questions for you M&M veterans.

Keep in mind I'm playing VI, not VII. I didn't think these questions were worth creating a separate thread though…

First, how exactly is XP distributed between party members? After playing for awhile, I noticed that all my characters have slightly different XP totals. Is this related to class, stats, etc?

About Perception.. I know secret doors, etc. will turn red if someone in my party has high enough Perception to detect them, but is it still possible to use those things even if they're not detected? i.e. Can I open a secret door by clicking on that area if it's not detected?

What are generally considered the "must have" skills to start with? I already regret not having Identify or Disarm Trap in my party.

My only complaint is that there seems to be very little penalty for a party member getting killed. Only 20 gold per level to resurrect them, and completely restore hit and spell points?

I haven't played MM6 but in MM7 you get equal XP for quests solved - except maybe for promotion quests - while fights give XP only when you hit, I think. his means that when I used my cleric to heal, she got less XP from fights and so on. However, these are just guesses, because I've stopped looking at XP now that I realized the way to level is through quests anyway, which almost always get my party to level....

In MM7 ID Item is very useful, but ID Monster gets useful too at some point. Repair is very important if you don't want to waste time/money going back to town to repair items. Disarm Trap is very useful at the start of the game, but less in the end I think, since my party survives any traps anyway and my cleric just casts heal/regeneration on my party and they all get better after a minute or two, but traps can be deadly at the start of the game.

Perception is good to find trap doors and stuff.

fights give XP only when you hit, I think. his means that when I used my cleric to heal, she got less XP from fights and so on.

I just tested it, but that doesn't seem to be the way it works in M&MVI. I'm at a loss as to why my party doesn't have equal XP.

In M&MVII, do you have the option to skip a party member during turn-based combat, or simply have them defend? It's annoying that you have to take an action every time in VI. If there's an enemy out of melee range for example, my party members that don't have ranged weapons have to swing at air to use their turn.

Learning skill or being dead will make a difference in xp. Also wearing an item with the learning skill would make a difference in stat points. If you die, you get no xp for that battle.

Yeah, pressing B (as default) skips a turn, but I don't see the point of that really, since everyone has ranged weapons/magic and melee weapons.

Thanks. Apparently that works in M&MVI as well, it just wasn't in the manual. Not everyone has ranged weapons in the beginning.

Learning skill or being dead will make a difference in xp. Also wearing an item with the learning skill would make a difference in stat points. If you die, you get no xp for that battle.

I just discovered that a new party actually starts the game with some XP, and every character has a different amount.

Ok, so I take it that high Percepetion is a necessity if I want to fully explore then?

I believe so. At least I always bring a character with it.

About Repair.. how do I see the amount of wear on an item? Do they just break randomly?

Pretty much. I don't know of any indications as to when an item is about to break. It's one of the reasons why the skill is so useful - stuff might break as you're halfway through a huge dungeon. Considering the size of some of the dungeons in MM6, that means a lot of time spent backtracking.

Even the first few dungeons you come across are massive.
Goblin keep, spider/snake/bat filled cave and temple of Baa.

Even the first few dungeons you come across are massive.

Yep, I found that out about Goblin Keep the hard way, when I was messing around with the vault controls and got dropped down into the maintenance area. Suffice to say, that ended up being a reload. :)

One of the most significant changes between 6 and 7 was the ability to reposition your character during combat. That and arcomage are 2 reasons most prefer 7.

You missed a big one, Corwin--the limitations on skills by class (normal, expert, master, grandmaster) made party creation and character development tremendously more interesting.

You missed a big one, Corwin—the limitations on skills by class (normal, expert, master, grandmaster) made party creation and character development tremendously more interesting.

There are still limitations on certain skills for classes in M&MVI, at least according to the strategy guide.

Or are you referring only to the secondary skills like Perception, Disarm trap, Indentify, etc? I wasn't aware that everyone could learn those up to Grandmaster. That is kind of lame..

In 7, if there is no-one say is infront of you during combat, you can move to a different/better position to target an enemy.

There are still limitations on certain skills for classes in M&MVI, at least according to the strategy guide.

Or are you referring only to the secondary skills like Perception, Disarm trap, Indentify, etc? I wasn't aware that everyone could learn those up to Grandmaster. That is kind of lame..
My memory of the exact details is a little fuzzy, but this is what I remember. Basically, if the skill is available at level 1 (secondaries, weapons, or spells), you can push it to master level (there's no GM tier in MM6 IIRC) regardless of the class. So your archer with air magic can have just as much skill at air magic as your sorc. He won't have the spell points to match, but skill-wise there's no difference.

Thanks for the info, and you're right about no Grandmaster tier in M&MVI.

It's weird how dumbed down the character creation is in M&MVI compared to most of the other titles in the series, especially since M&M IV&V had a ton of classes to choose from.

6 was a total reboot of the series to cater to more 'modern' gamers. Streamlining is not new!! :)

Indeed, good point! Luckily it got a bit more advanced in MM7, which to me is the highlight of the series.

6 was a total reboot of the series to cater to more 'modern' gamers. Streamlining is not new!! :)

Ironically M&MVI would be considered pretty complex by today's standards. At least in regards to the huge variety of locations, items, spells, etc.

I love the shrinking ray in mm7 :)
It's so funny, even though that by now I can kill Ancient Behemoths and dragons with ease. It's really funny to see a mini-Behemoth fighting me. He looks so cute and it tickles my lich. Maybe I should post a screenshot, but unfortunately, I just rid the tunnels of eefol of all behemoths... :(

Back
Top Bottom