Wasteland 2 - Rangers Battling a Scorpitron

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
InXile Entertainment released a new screenshot of a few rangers battling a scorpitron. Keep in mind this is a mock up and not what you will see in the game.

tumblr_n6coxmt9SE1sqkv5zo1_1280.jpg

Please note: this is not an in-game screenshot. This scene was staged in-engine with dramatic back-lighting for effect. The Scorpitron and his attack effect are manually placed.
More information.

- Bad art direction.
- Scorpion has bad silhouette,
- white outline around rangers takes away the fun feeling of putting your mind into the game.
- Enemies are not outlined and separated from background
- map colors are too homogenous, poor lighting doesn't help to visually break up the scene and help the player to grok what the hell is going on and really take in the visuals
- mediocre visuals overall, not interested in this heap O' crap.
- inXile ruined the boons of its writers by using microscopic fonts that are truncated to even smaller size, when text is too long and don't fit into badly designed GUI windows.

These criticisms are kind of ridiculous. Highlighting character or selection ring is kind of necessary in a game. A small font probably comes from people like you complaining there is too much text on the screen.

I think screenshot looks great, though it's obviously postprocessed and there doesn't seem to be any game interface.

Yes I like the image as well. I'm not sure why some of the party members are outlined in white but not others. Is that from selecting them individually?

Last edited:
Love the screenshot. It's really hard to wait for the release!

Looks great to me. I would have added more color though, I've always hated the whole "it's post-apocalyptic so everything has to look yellow-brownish". Radiation doesn't disintegrate red and blue things!

Radiation doesn't disintegrate red and blue things!

It doesn't??? Someone should tell Bethesda that, Fallout 3 is the worst offender. WL2 at least has *some* colour.

Once again, my concern is how they've left out some of the best parts of the Fallout system - and let's not pretend this isn't a Fallout type game.

Where are the perks? Where are the traits? Where are the aimed shots?

I consider those absolutely vital parts of combat and progression in this type of game, and instead they've crammed the game with an over-abundance of generic skills.

I'm sorry, but I've sort of lost faith in this game after playing the beta. Not that I think it will be a bad game, I just don't think it'll be at Fallout level or anywhere near that.

When you choose to use crowd-funding to please a very specific audience, I do NOT see the point in going back instead of evolving the genre. It's the perfect opportunity for depth and complexity.

Oh well.

There is no question that there Wasteland inspired Fallout. On the other hand, they are such completely different types of games when it comes to actual gameplay that I don't think that things from one need to be in the other.

With that said, I think perks and traits are cool no matter what type of game they are in.

It should be faithful to Wasteland, if anything. I have to admit I get a laugh out of the fallout fans on other sites doing what they are known best for - irrational complaining. From reading InXile's site I don't think it will be terribly true to original wasteland, however, either.

I still have hope it will be a good game, though. I trust fargo more than I trust most the guys who worked for him in the old days.

Back
Top Bottom