Obsidian Entertainment - Pathfinder License

Somewhat disappointing that the CRPG won't be set in a D&D setting but it's still something. Now I'm curious as to whether they'll use the PoE technology they've developed or go with something else.

Wait, what!?!? Pillars of Eternity is going to be some amazing stuff!

It looks decent enough - but I'm not particularly interested in a modern BG remake or "spiritual" take on the style. I'll play it - but it's not something that excites me a whole lot.

Sounds exciting to me! As someone that never played the PnP versions of D&D, the setting isn't that important to me.

Just to note that the card game isn't a collectable one quite like Magic etc. It uses fixed cards, covering weapons, items, traps, spells, armour, monsters and so on.

You deal a selection of each type of card onto the various "locations" and work your way through battling the monsters and aquiring (if you can) loot.

Your loot cards essentially become your "hp" - once you've used them all up you die. As such, the gameplay involves utilizing your cards (and re-using them) to best tackle the challenges presented.

Afer each mission, you refine your deck of cards based on what you've aquired during the mission, thus (if you survive), your character gets progressively stronger.

They have released a series of adventure pack add-ons which add more missions, and more powerful loot, to represent the characters levelling as they go. As you finish one expansion, you add the next to the box and so on. At a certain point, all the "basic" cards are removed, giving you a better chance of good rewards, at the expense of nastier enemies and traps.

It works pretty well, but as I say, really needs several players to bring the variety of an RPG party to life. 2 player is fun, but 3 or 4 is best. I'm not sure I'd play it solo.

Pathfinder are what the kids play now instead of D&D

If its a true CCG then they have to pay royalties to WotC which I think they would be loathe to do. My guess is WotC's stupid patent doesn't apply to mobile devices; only actual cards. I've seen video games use simulated CCG combat before.

Hopefully this will get Pathfinder off the ground and this will lead to the real RPG - if only for mobile.

Hopefully this will get Pathfinder off the ground and this will lead to the real RPG - if only for mobile.
The head of the Paizo Inc. already said a CRPG is in the works so I'm not worried.
What's Pathfinder?
Well I can counter that and ask you what is The Dark Eye.:p

If it wasn't for a few games I never would of heard of the setting. It's not popular where I live in the States. So hopefully the CRPG does get made to spread the setting.:fingerscrossed:

Last edited:
They already have PoE. Why another fantasy setting CRPG? The more the merrier I guess. Since it's based off of D&D, I assume it will be party based. That then leads me to believe it will be "isometric" or some sort of high tactical camera. RTWP then? Turn based would be nice.

I hear that Pathfinder is quite popular here in Germany ... But I'm not an business insider so I can't tell ...

Back
Top Bottom