Steam - Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 Now Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Steam announces that Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 is now available.
Three Classic RPGs Now Available For All Desktop Adventurers

One of the greatest fantasy role-playing series in gaming history comes to Steam today with the release of three games from the Wizardry franchise. The final three epic PC adventures from a series that spanned two decades that entertained millions of gamers are here, thanks to the work of Night Dive Studio – a company dedicated to reviving and restoring access to classic games from the past.

The re-release of Wizardry VI, Wizardry VII and Wizardry 8 follows on the heels of Night Dive’s spring release of System Shock 2, the first classic RPG that they chose to make available to modern audiences. Now you can play some of the most celebrated fantasy role-playing games ever released, all built on the old ideas of party composition, fiendish puzzles and deadly random encounters.
More information.

Last edited:
Don't forget you can buy all three on GOG also. So it all comes down to what your preference is. Happy gaming everyone.:)

LOL I'm guessing GoG made some cheddar off these titles and now Steam wants their chunk o cheese, too. Never played 8 myself but the two before that are stellar and awesome.

-Carn

Don't forget you can buy all three on GOG also. So it all comes down to what your preference is. Happy gaming everyone.:)

Are the Steam and GoG versions the same? The Steam version, according to the description on this thread, is the one restored by Nightdive, while the one on GoG is the original by Sir Tech!

It would be nice to know the differences.

Are the Steam and GoG versions the same? The Steam version, according to the description on this thread, is the one restored by Nightdive, while the one on GoG is the original by Sir Tech!

Simple answer is I don't know. You would have to ask Steam or Nightdive. Going by the company's bio I would say it's probably just been re-mastered to play on modern rigs.
Night Dive Studios believes that classic video games should never be abandoned or forgotten. They should be available to play at any time, run out of the box without the hassle of installing outdated drivers, or using obsolete hardware. Movies are restored, Books are digitized, and Art is preserved to be appreciated for all time. Why should Games be any different? We know there are countless games that are still unavailable, and we're doing our best to bring them back from the depths to be treasured once more.

Already have them on disc and gog. Will probably add them on steam for convenience when they get down to a few bucks.

Considering that Night Dive's "work" on System Shock 2 consisted of running a fan utility over the original version- without permission, and breaking the licensing of that fan utility, even- and not a lick more I doubt they have made any changes at all. It's most likely just the GOG version rebadged.

Already have them on disc and gog. Will probably add them on steam for convenience when they get down to a few bucks.

Me too - bought on GoG have them somewhere on disk as well. Will add to Steam when price is low enough.

Yeah I would like to know as well. I've never even heard of Night Dive prior to reading this thread. Are we talking about restored content here?

I'm still a big fan of Crusaders of the Dark savant in its Gold edition but Wiz 8 is the pinnacle of the series on most aspects and you should do yourself a favor and play it.

What? But Cleve said it wasn't particularly good.

Me too - bought on GoG have them somewhere on disk as well. Will add to Steam when price is low enough.
If I might say, there's a downside in playing the GoG or any other re-badged version though (AFAIK) : it voids the possibility to run the original version in its most glorious appearance, namely the Glide renderer ! The original version still runs fine without tweaking on XP and adding a Glide wrapper to it is a must. The difference is really interesting graphically speaking.

The GoG ones NEVER go on sale. I've been watching them since GoG put them up on the site. I'll be picking up all 3 on Steam for $3.50 during the inevitable 75% off Holiday sale. Love these games!

The GoG ones NEVER go on sale. I've been watching them since GoG put them up on the site. I'll be picking up all 3 on Steam for $3.50 during the inevitable 75% off Holiday sale. Love these games!

Dude, they were just on sale about a week ago. :)

Dude, they were just on sale about a week ago. :)

That is the sad thing ... I was glad I waited, because I have barely started 7 and 8 at this point and don't know when I will get much time this fall!

Also of note: the Steam versions are compatible with not just Windows, but Mac and Linux. The GOG version are, at the moment, Windows only.

Are there any mods around for any of them to reduce the endless random encounters? Some incredible games but just so relentless on combat that it got exhausting.

What you say is really funny considering I bought the games on GOG when they were on sale a few weeks back, they were -50%

Back
Top Bottom