Baldur's Gate - BaldursGate.com Stirs Awake

It seems like a remake of the complete saga. Since BG uses pre-rendered backgrounds, I don't think they will change old ones with the new, high resolution backgrounds. It's much more resource and time consuming than reworking on 3d engine. What I expect is a native hd and widescreen support, new UI and probably some new spell effects here and there. Most of these things were already done by great mods like TuTu. So don't raise your hopes up. Maybe a new version for Iphone and Ipad devices, which will be great for users of this systems. I don't think Bioware will make a new game in veins of BG anymore. But I must admit BG name alone excited me greatly.

We'll see. If it's too frustrating or tedious to play on an iPad it could have the reverse effect.

It's not an FPS, after all.

So much of the game consists of clicking on objects and actors, selecting choices from dialogue, inventory and combat menus, etc., that I'm of the opinion it might be a good fit, depending on how they improve upon the UI.

well, I think if they're going to redo it, with the aim of improving the UI/graphics, forcing it onto a small ipad form factor would be rather silly. Particularly in view of the very obvious community support for widescreen/hires adaptations of the IE. Why would you want to play an epic (gorgeously rendered (?), time consuming, non-casual) game on a mobile device? Finally, the use of a mac may simply mean they're developing on Unity - which is cross platform…everyone I have met who uses it seem to choose to develop on mac, even if they deploy to other platforms.

I think it's a perfect fit. If true, I could see them charging around $10 for BG1&2 +expansions, and having massive sales for nostalgia alone. It's the perfect game to play on an iPad or other (large enough) portable device. Hopefully they have multiple saves allowed.

Totally speculating about all of the above. But count me in as one guy who would play BG on an iPad. I sit in front of a computer at work all day, and it would be nice to play something so involving while resting on the couch or sitting outside on a nice day.

It's possible to play torment, BG etc on ipad using GemRB and people seems to be enjoying that. It's quite nice to play time consuming games on the ipad, you can easily switch from sitting at a desk to the bed or a sofa, quite comfortable. I use my ipad far more often than i thought i would, it has completely replaced my laptop (which feels incredible outdated now). It has replaced books too, for the most part..

Baldur's Gate I&II, Planescape Torment, etc. on tablets? Alright, that's kind of cool - good games which will have been enjoyed by more total people after this than they were before it. But... if that's what this is then it's also on the same level of excitement as the convenience store down the street deciding to stock one of your favorite beers when you used to have to go to a store 10 minutes farther away. If that's what it is then I hope the tone of those "secret messages" are in jest and intended sound too-clever-by-half as some sort of statire how awful so many marketing campaigns for games actually do sound.

It's possible to play torment, BG etc on ipad using GemRB and people seems to be enjoying that. It's quite nice to play time consuming games on the ipad, you can easily switch from sitting at a desk to the bed or a sofa, quite comfortable. I use my ipad far more often than i thought i would, it has completely replaced my laptop (which feels incredible outdated now). It has replaced books too, for the most part..

Yeah it's playable on a tablet for sure - and more so if you chose appropriate AI scripts for your NPCs. If they put enough work into the interface (not nescessarily changing the look of it at all) then it could probably be a lot better than people are imagining. For example - if you had the option to "hotkey" gestures made with the stylus that would help immensley. Consider hotkeying your mage to cast chain lightning on a specific enemy to when you scrible a simple gensture on an enemy you want to target. Instead of having to tap your mage, tap some ability besides default attack, then tap the target.

That would probably work best if they used a small set of easily recognizable and quick distinct scribbles as hotkeyable rather than go full on handwriting recognition though. It would be like having your number keys ad F# keys sort of. Ensure there's a quick way to pause and it's not going to much of a chore to play. Your character will still take for freaking ever to walk across a map and it's still a given that YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH.

If they're rebuilding the art assets for this remake in higher resolution so we can play at high res without everything in the game becoming incredibly tiny then wow.. day 1 buy for me for any IE game they do.

I don't think they would have bothered mentioning the Apple unless it was a tablet port. Boring. Neat but boring.

Bioware still owns the copyright on the games, the art assets and holds the trademarks

Bioware does not own either the copyright or the trademarks- buy one of the BGs and it specifically lists the copyright holders as Hasbro/ WOTC and Atari and Hasbro as trademark holders, confirmed by TESS. The only thing Bioware definitely has any hold over is the IE itself.

Gokyabgu said:
BG uses pre-rendered backgrounds, I don't think they will change old ones with the new, high resolution backgrounds.
The levels in the IE were actually developed in 3d, then rendered into 2d bitmaps from 3ds Max. As such it's (if you have the original 3d builds available) far easier to do a HD remake- you might even be able to just render straight to a higher bitmap resolution without any significant alteration at all except rescaling and updating UI elements.

Hey now that the whole D&D lawsuit has been settled, why not go back and make another game based on the universe, which to me is still far superior to anything out there currently.

…and why not start with a sequel to the grand-daddy of them all?

#Hope.

Hey now that the whole D&D lawsuit has been settled, why not go back and make another game based on the universe

They did last year with Daggerdale.

And unless I'm mistaken, this will be Atari last D&D published game ever!

Daggerfail wasn't a game. It was a nightmare, and should be struck from the annuls of the Dungeons and Dragons realm. Nothing to see here, move along.

The only thing worse than Daggerfail would be a revisiting of BG 1 or 2. Go big and make something new, or go home.

-Carn

Bioware does not own either the copyright or the trademarks- buy one of the BGs and it specifically lists the copyright holders as Hasbro/ WOTC and Atari and Hasbro as trademark holders, confirmed by TESS. The only thing Bioware definitely has any hold over is the IE itself.

http://www.bioware.com/copyright

Orly?

BALDUR'S GATE: © 1998 EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.

BALDUR'S GATE Tales of the Sword Coast: © 1999 EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.

With Baldur's Gate II you are correct that they only hold copyrights on the engine. They appear to hold the exclusive software copyrights for the original Baldur's Gate. TSR (and their licensees) hold copyright and trademark rights with regard to the setting. You're right about trademarks though - Bioware did not trademark logos particular to the game. Though original imagery in its exact form would also be covered by copyright. Interplay is listed as a sub-licensee but EA is indeed the copyright holder for the original game and its expansion.

Of course it's not even that simple; if you look at the page you'll see about half a dozen parent companies and subsidiaries listed each have rights and licenses associated with the games.

I hope this is more than just iOS stuff. I don't have nor do I want an iOS device, but would LOVE some more Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine stuff.

Oh - and there was new source on the website - haha
<!-- February 29, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! -->

YA RLY.

EA is a rather litigious company, no way they'd allow someone to sell 'their' game without either proper crediting or a financial stake (see first quoted section). Given that that page lists all copyrights as being x-2008 it almost certainly has not been updated since then, significant given the (second) quoted section.

© 2011 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved. © 2011 Atari Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Marketed and distributed by Atari, Inc., New York, NY. Atari and the Atari logo are trademarks owned by Atari Interactive, Inc. Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, The Temple of Elemental Evil, Greyhawk, Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, Wizards of the Coast, their logos and Forgotten Realms and the Forgotten Realms logo are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast LLC in the U.S.A. and other countries, and are used with permission. HASBRO and its logo are trademarks of Hasbro, Inc. and are used with permission. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. This game created using the BioWare Infinity Engine © 1996 – 2011 BioWare Corp. All rights reserved. BioWare and the BioWare Infinity Engine and the BioWare logo are trademarks of BioWare Corp. Black Isle Studios and the Black Isle Studios logo are trademarks of Interplay Entertainment Corp. Uses Bink Video Technology. Copyright © 1997-2011 by RAD Game Tools, Inc. This product contains software technology licensed from GameSpy Industries, Inc. © 1999-2011 GameSpy Industries, Inc. GameSpy and the “Powered by GameSpy” design are trademarks of Gamespy Industries, Inc. All rights reserved.
The ESRB rating icons are registered trademarks of the Entertainment Software Association. Software platform logo (TM and ©) EMA 2006. Use of this product is subject to the acceptance of a license agreement. The terms of the license can be found in the product’s manual.

USPTO > Bioware on trademark ownership- it is the US Patent and TRADEMARK office, after all, from there, extraneous guff removed:

Word Mark BALDUR'S GATE
Published for Opposition December 4, 2007
Registration Number 3433748
Registration Date May 27, 2008
Owner (REGISTRANT) BioWare Corp. CORPORATION CANADA 4445 Calgary Trail, Suite 200 Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5R7 CANADA

(LAST LISTED OWNER) WIZARDS OF THE COAST LLC CORPORATION DELAWARE

Back
Top Bottom