The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Jeez, it's not like that stuff happens every PUG. The worst I've had happen is some jerk taking over and ending the quest before I was ready, losing xp.

Even one such incident is too much for me. I play for Fun and Enjoyment, NOT Frustration and Expletives!! :)

Outside of some egomaniacal doodz that desperately needed an introduction to their mute buttons from a few Shroud runs, the PUGs I've run have been largely uneventful.

I have only once experienced a player who deliberately wanted to ruin the fun for others. That was in VON6 where a guy moved alone into Velah's cave. The cave closed and he got killed. The rest of us could not complete the quest. So we had to do VON5 again to get to VON6.

Some in the group searched his toon name and found out that the player is known to sabotage quests. That player enjoys joining pugs just doing what he can to make the group fail completion. So he joined VON 5-6 just to lock out the rest from the end fight or activating Xyzzy too early in HoX.

Fortunately I've never seen this guy again.

The biggest problem I have in PUG's are people who don't listen to advise from the group leader. Yesterday I did Lair of Summoning. I warned the group about the chest room. Don't go to the chest or you will be trapped, I said. The bard didn't listen to the advise and moved by himself into the room and got trapped. He had to fight the monsters alone and died, of course. Then he just left the group.

In Necro 1 I had a toon who didn't want to follow the rest and moved into traps and died. That was even after I said the quest was full of traps and please let the rogue deal with them before entering corridors. One thing is that people don't take advise. Players make mistakes in quests. We just have to accept that. But it's not fun when some players just leave after making a mistake. Then they make it harder for the rest of us to complete. It's better to just accept the mistake and wait for being raised at the resurrection shrine.

But it's not fun when some players just leave after making a mistake. Then they make it harder for the rest of us to complete.

I assumed that people are simply to embarassed to stay.
Or just ragequit.

I'd rather say the first one. They might believe that by doing such a fatal mistake they have kind of revoked their membership, I guess.

If this would be true, then it would imho be rather a hint towards the social skills of an MMO society which makes people rather believe that quitting is better than having to listen to rants about their mistakes.

Or in other words : If a society was more caring and had more "social skils", then people would be rather accepting their mistakes than doing suicide because of them.

Because leaving the group is in my eyes a kind of suicide, too : Expelling oneself from a group as a self-imposed punishment (probably even in order to be faster than to receive actual punishment from others).

I wonder if some of these mistakes are caused by communication problems? Does everyone communicate in a common language and does every speak/write and understand the language well enough?

Perhaps a few, but language isn't too much of a barrier for the basics of playing the game. There aren't that many "critical" words to deal with and PUGs don't generally involve intricate strategy, so an extensive grasp of English isn't really necessary.

It's a little different with Team Corwin since we use Skype over top of the game. We tend to have some chaotic conversations. Az and I will talk about CNC lathes and stupidity on the shop floor. Corwin plays slower than the rest of us and needs an in-game GPS for Christmas, so he's always asking for navigation assistance. Peter is always giving character build advice and jm always gets mad about it. Add in all the accents (from Corwin's Aussie garble to Az's southern twang to my redneck babble) and it gets even more chaotic. When things go poorly, you can add in colorful idioms and loud profanity. I expect all that interweaving over the top of the game could get far more challenging and confusing for someone that doesn't speak proper American ( ;) ) all the time.

Truth be told that was about the worst I've experienced in PUG groups. Once in a while they boot me for one reason or another such as: too high level/Ruined their Bravery Bonus/Have too many Sorcs already. The norm is Rage quitters. I see those almost every other PUG group. I've been doing a lot of PUG's from level 8+ as these quests can be difficult to solo on elite.

The more the merrier. Sherwin would probably appreciate another guildie on pacific time. We've got a fairly broad scatter, but I think a slim plurality goes to US central right now.

But the important question would be whether you'd be some pointy-eared, panty-waisted, professional soul stone, hocus-pocus type or a proper Disciple of the Pointy Stick? ;)

Let me slap Dte for you Thrasher......:faq: I use a dead fish. Try out what ever suits you, we are on Khyber (sp?) server. Post up the name of your toon and someone will send you the guild invite.

With a new game like this, where I need to get used to the controls, I usually go for the simplest and most mindless build to start just to get my footing. So I'll probably be joining the order of the most pointy to start... ;)

Actually, from what I know of your gaming style, you might want to think about a melee-focused rogue. It's the best fit (at least for "basic" builds, Az has an exploiter build that does it all) for a complete-ist, IMO. Not the sturdiest of toons, but you never face the frustration of locked doors/chests nor worry about traps. Still a pointy stick adherent, but not necessarily a Big F'in Pointy Stick swinger.

My "toe in the pool" introduction to DDO was very similar to your "start simple" plan, for similar reasons. My first toon was a great axe wielding human barbarian. As simple and mindless builds go, it's doesn't get much more mindless. There's an elegance to it, tho. ;)

I actually would recommend Fighter over Barbarian. They are not feat-tight at all, and have plenty of room for mistakes without totally gimping the build up.

Barbarians have little room to play around with feats, and basically are expensive to redo if you mess up. Whereas a Fighter has 18 feats to throw around, 19 if Human.

Rogues, while simple enough, have a pretty steep gear requirement due to needing to get their traps skills up high enough. They're also more tactical in nature, relying more on SA damage than straight numbers.

Making a proper rogue build and playing them have been one of my most favorite kinds of builds to play, but it's like you say, less forgiving of mistakes which can easily take a turn to insta-death! :) Potions of invisibility/teleport and their ilk are good for the occasional emergency/FU. ;)

Rogues also need to know the quests. JM has played every quest with every class and remembers where every trap and box is located; it really helps avoid disaster!! :) The game has a 'tutorial' island where you begin so that is an easy place to try out a couple of builds. Go for it!!

Rogues in DDO have excellent sneak attack skills and bonuses I played a dual wielding backstabbing build to cap and was regularly getting 5 damage numbers per attack.

I'd like to report I've finally got Maenya's Fist after the 23rd run of "Eyes of Stone"! Had a PUG group run it on Elite/Hard/Normal and everytime with the rogue in our group the fist popped up.

It seems the spawn rate is higher on elite. I did all 3 quests on elite with my cleric. I personally got a Katra's wit and Maenyas Fists. I saw another Maenya drop and stonedust wraps, gorgon armor, bloody cleaver, snakeskin vest etc.

So I propose we run this on elite with our regulars and we should quickly get the items people need for the Sora Kell crafting and the 3 part set.

If you have to solo on normal you might have to run forever until you get the loot you need. These 3 quests are better done in a group if you need to farm.

Coming soon to a session near you!

We've just about wrapped up the level 11 content. Necro3 is pretty much all that remains (unless Corwin insists on running Desert Caravan again). There was some talk of skipping Necro3, but we're actually all a little bit short of getting level 14 on our toons and could use a headstart on 15 so the boatload of XP would probably be welcome.

We're getting to the thin section of content now. We've got a handful of things to do with level 14 toons (Wiz King, Chains of Flame, Lordsmarch1, Necro3 finale, maybe Invaders, maybe Relic of a Sovereign Past) that most likely won't get us to level 15 like we "need". Then it's on to Lordsmarch2 and Gianthold walkups.

Back
Top Bottom