Might & Magic X - Uplay and M&M X

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Those of you wondering why Might & Magic X uses Uplay might be interested in a new post on the games development blog that mentions why the game uses it.

Uplay and M&M X

Today’s article will explain Uplay implementation in MMX.

Uplay improves every day thanks to players' feedback and the support of Ubisoft games. The platform evolved a lot for the last few years: now Uplay is not only a DRM; it's a platform which brings together a community of enthusiastic people who like Ubisoft games. With Uplay, you can enjoy a deeper ingame experience thanks to the Win program: you play to earn Units and unlock exclusive in-game content, and Ubisoft games or invitations to video games exhibitions.

Uplay also offers many other features. Let’s discover them together!

MMX and the Uplay Rewards

Might & Magic X – Legacy will offers players tons of actions to unlock. To get all of them you will have to take up every challenge you encounter! Unlocking actions by playing is the key to earn Uplay units. With those Units, you can have access to exclusive rewards from Uplay for Might & Magic X – Legacy: a wallpaper for your PC or a Dungeon offering new undiscovered challenges! Hurry up!

THE OFFLINE MODE

Can you play to MMX offline with Uplay? Yes!

First thing to know about Uplay is that you don’t have to stay logged to play your favorite games! Only one connection to Uplay is needed the first time you launch the game to activate your game! After that you can download your game from every computer just by logging in to your Uplay account.
No connection will be required to play after the game is installed on your computer. Nevertheless we encourage you to stay connected to benefit from the online services and get the latest updates.

THE NEW DOWNLOAD MANAGER

First, games will be automatically patched when an update is available. You won’t have to launch the game and then close it to trigger the update. For instance, when the next patch of Might & Magic X – Legacy will be available, you will just have to launch Uplay and let the platform automatically download the last update. How convenient is that?

With the new Download manager brought by Uplay PC 4.0 for each of your games where you want them to be installed in your computer! How to do that? Easy!

*Important notice: Might & Magic X – Legacy is still in Early Access. This feature will be available at the full release of the game (Early 2014).

THE CLOUD SAVES

The second feature proves to be very useful as well. Cloud saving has been implemented on Uplay. Your files will automatically be saved in Uplay’s cloud and you will be able to keep your progression whenever you change computers.

THE SOCIAL ASPECT

Keep in touch with your friends! Uplay is a Social Platform. As a social platform, Uplay provides you with a lot of features to interact with your friends and have the best online experience!
More information.

Last edited:
Were they trying to convince us or discourage us? If MMX is a social game, count me out. NONE of the previous MM games have been social games, but single player contests. Why would I want social shit in my single player game?

Why would I want social shit in my single player game?

Seems every game has some type of "soicial shit" as you put it now. Recently Blizzard, Ubisoft. and EA talked about social integration in every game. I personally hate the idea, but at least you can play offline and not use them in this game.

I agree, Couch. At least we can still turn it off. The day I can't escape the social aspects of a crpg is my last day playing them. I'll just have to play the old games over and over.

I don't care about "social shit". I want to play this game offline, like in the "good old tomes". The early MM games had no "social shit", either.

By the way, this could quickly become a new internet meme ...

I don't see what the issue is when you can play it offline. The people who like social can have that.

My inner cynic says : "The multiplayer crowd has finally won the war. 10 years ago they set out, asking in every RPG forum whether it can be played as multiplayer, that it should be multiplayer and that people demand it tto be multiplayer, apart from the "fact" that it would be "stupid if this game wasn't multiplayer".

We, the solo players, the offline species, we are an dying race, my inner cynic adds.

I have RL friends, we meet frequently and thus can't care less about "social platforms".

Alrik, if multiplayer crowd won the war, then how do you explain successful KS projects that don't include "socializing"? No. We still have normal developers on one side and on another there are crapbook/phonehorseshit torture by big publisher CEOs. The "war" is not over yet.

And on topic. Still didn't buy this game as it's not finished. But if anyone mentions that it contains Zynga style item sending to "friends", I'll skip it. They can wrap it with Steam, uPlay, Origin and WindowsLive, all 4 if they want, but I'm interested into playing good old singleplayer game, not some trendy junk.

- Automatic and smart update is a plus
- One-time registration is probably a plus for company (I don't care, I'm going to buy it anyway)
- Off-line mode is a must (even if I stay connected to Internet)
- Cloud saves is maybe a plus for some people
- Social aspect is probably a plus for some people (personally I don't care)
- extra in-game rewards and achiements is a (big) plus

Now, am I seeing no minuses? :)

- Cloud saves is maybe a plus for some people
- extra in-game rewards and achiements is a (big) plus

Now, am I seeing no minuses? :)

Cloud Saves: Is it only cloud saves or in addition to local saves? If only cloud that is a big minus, I should not be forced to download my own saves.

Extras: this is not a plus but a minus. It's not a big deal if all the extras are minor cosmetic stuff. I hate the trend of having content determined by when I buy, where I buy, whether I visit the E3 booth, trading with people online, etc. For a MMORPG some of that is fine, but for a single player game I should get the damn full game when I buy the damn full game.

I don't mind Uplay or Origin, they are all just like Steam. But I don't need them; I don't want to create another account on another server. I have trouble remembering access details on existing accounts and don't need any more rubbish accounts.

If they really would like to offer all of these pluses, then just integrate the game with Steam and that's it - Steam has all these features already. This is just another business venture for UBi to make money - all this PR talk is just rubbish.

Yeah I caved in to Steam years ago, but that's the only one I've surrendered to. If this requires Ugay, I won't be buying it. I can replay all the old M&M's every year so I shouldn't be missing much.

I was looking forward to this game but…

…the Win program: you play to earn Units and unlock exclusive in-game content, and Ubisoft games or invitations to video games exhibitions."

…is almost as bad as microtransactions. "Social shit" indeed.

My inner cynic says : "The multiplayer crowd has finally won the war.

Up to about two years ago I would have agreed with you. But the crowd-funding phenomena is giving me new hope. Sure, AAA development via traditional publisher/developer paradigms will likely continue on the 'social-everything' bandwagon.

But now there are so many great looking single-player RPG prospects out there in the crowd-funding space. And perhaps that will be a catalyst to swing the pendulum back a little bit. Time will tell.

This is just another business venture for UBi to make money - all this PR talk is just rubbish.

I agree. This Uplay PR reads like a 1970s commercial for kids on a Saturday morning... "HEY kids..."

I feel like I'm 7 all over again.

…the Win program: you play to earn Units and unlock exclusive in-game content, and Ubisoft games or invitations to video games exhibitions."

This means I won't buy it. If you need to be online uPlay social crap "Win program" to unlock game content that you can't get otherwise, then I'm out.

Is the wording on this PR intentionally bad or ironic? It sounds like marketing-speak 101, complete with excessive "isn't that exciting kids!!!!" exclamation points.

Hey, isn't this like the same junk Uplay used with Heroes of Might and Magic 6? I had a friend that told me the only way you could experience everything in that game was to play online, which of course kept me from buying it. Far as I know you still need to do this even though the game is a few years old now.

Hey, isn't this like the same junk Uplay used with Heroes of Might and Magic 6?
Yes it is you had to be online to access certain items for your heroes. The game still requires the connection. Even the latest Assassin Creed 4 has a fleet system that requires Uplay.

Back
Top Bottom