Legend of Grimrock - Status Update

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Looks like the rest of the internet has noticed Grimrock with Minecraft's Noch posting about it and bringing down their server. They're back up and here's a short status update:
Here’s a small status update of what has happened after the video release and what we are going to do next:
+ it’s harder to interrupt monster’s attack sequence by hitting them (done)
+ monsters do nasty counter attacks if you keep doing the forward, hit, backward routine too much (done)
+ improved monster death effect (done)
+ super secret new monster (done)
Next:
+ improve missile logistics – we know picking up ammo from the floor after every combat gets really tiresome fast
+ prettier mouse cursor
+ and of course more levels, items, monsters, puzzles, spells and other goodies
More information.

monsters do nasty counter attacks if you keep doing the forward, hit, backward routine too much (done)

That was my standard method of attack in the EOB and Dungeonmaster games. I am interested to see the nasty counterattacks, and what alternatives other than getting your front characters battered will be.

From what I have seen of this, I am really looking forward to it. After EOB3, all the games seemed to go to fluid motion instead of the step-by-step movement like the EOB series. I hadn't played a game with similar controls in a long time, but last year picked up Orcs & Elves and played on the kid's DS and had a lot of fun.

Servers down - In a sense that's good news

I've been waiting a log time for when the bulk of the RPG indie guys move into the graphic type display of at least a Might and Magic type game. I hope to see more development teams like Almost Human.

Oddly, if you can get an emulator or working Genesis, Shining in the Darkness is a pretty darn good turn-based combat, EOB style RPG.

Shining in the dark and Shining Force were both great games. Played both when they came out. OTH, there is an amiga RPG game about to come out and I will have to get an emulator for that one. Still, Grimrock is a sight for sore eye for this long time RPG gamer.

One game that's not usually mentioned in this genre is Knightmare for the Amiga..super DM-styled game with nicely done puzzles too.
And Captive from the same author. Xenomorph had also a nice atmosphere.

One game that's not usually mentioned in this genre is Knightmare for the Amiga..super DM-styled game with nicely done puzzles too.

I missed that one. I may have to look for it since I do have the Amiga Forever emulator. My favorite next to EOB in that style on the Amiga was The Black Crypt by Raven.

I'd kind of like for there to be party counter/parry possibilities as well---maybe working in something like the Shield and such mechanics from Dragon Quest Swords on the Wii?

They certainly seem to be shaping this up in a hurry.

Oddly, if you can get an emulator or working Genesis, Shining in the Darkness is a pretty darn good turn-based combat, EOB style RPG.

No it isn't. People should stop making this kind of statement. It's a pretty direct Wizardry clone. It has invisible monsters and menu combat. That's not an EOB/Dungeon Master-like- those games were real time with cooldown timers! Shining in the Darkness is a Wizardry/early Might & Magic clone.

No it isn't. People should stop making this kind of statement. It's a pretty direct Wizardry clone. It has invisible monsters and menu combat. That's not an EOB/Dungeon Master-like- those games were real time with cooldown timers! Shining in the Darkness is a Wizardry/early Might & Magic clone.

I was mainly referring to its movement scheme and presentation your highness

Black Crypt for the Amiga is the best of the bunch, to my mind. You just need to get past the somewhat bland first level.

Xenomorph is a great semi spiritual prequel to System Shock, so check that out as well. It's also for PC.

Black Crypt for the Amiga is the best of the bunch, to my mind. You just need to get past the somewhat bland first level.
Oh yeah, I LOVED that game. That two headed ogre (or whatever it was) used to scare the crap out of me, and that level (6th?) that you really needed to get that mask to even be able to see the creatures that inhabited it, that was a pain. But good pain, if you get what I mean ;)

I never got to beat the game because my disk got corrupted. The graphics in the final boss encounter were so screwed up that I couldn't see a damn thing :(

I have most of these old block quests. I even have pc version of black crypt installed on my mini-pc. There is like ton of those starting from wizardry. But when it comes too uuw only three such games exist.

Back
Top Bottom