Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Sony Wanted It For PSN

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
ShackNews has interviewed Trent Oster and are providing a preview of that interview with the news that Sony wanted Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition for PSN.
"We were approached by Sony to bring the game to PSN, so I counter-proposed what I thought it would cost for us to do it right," Oster said. "For me, to make BG:EE a good experience on a console would require a very heavy redesign for the entire control and input scheme. We're big fans of Baldur's Gate, so we want the game to be great. Without a large scale effort we just could not make a product we could be proud of and Sony decided not to proceed. I believe they wanted to proceed with a quality product, but we just couldn't make the numbers work."
More information.

Yeah - I can't see the Infinity Engine games working on a console. Touch screens like tablets, sure - natural fit. Controlled via a typical game controller? Not so much.

Didn't they try to jam BG on consoles at the time and find it didn't work?

I kinda remember reading something along those lines. I am probably wrong, though.

well considering that's a hack from an unofficial release I don't think its fair to judge it. who knows how it would have looked and played after some touch up.

there was talk of moving BG:EE to the xbox but it was nixed in April because of controller issues.

I think you would really need to rework the combat to a DA or Diablo style tp make it work. It just wouldn't play right.

Anyone try this PS1 BG?

Back
Top Bottom