Torment: Tides of Numenera - Game Information and Kickstarter News

For me I'm not interested in Wasteland 2 at all but this game does interest me.

It's the complete opposite for me. I didn't have much interest in Wasteland 2 until I saw the gameplay video. Now it's one of my most anticipated games.

So far, I'm just sort of lukewarm about Tides of Numenera. The setting certainly looks unique, but nothing I've seen or heard has really grabbed me yet.

"real time smart combat"… guess this is a no go for me.

The explanation sounds convincing since it's true, I think. inXile is planning to go for self/crowd-funding and I don't think they can afford people without any task. Since most publishers don't seem to be interested in keeping good/decent writers, I guess we don't have many choices if we want to see similarly good/decent writings in games. After all, my motivation for supporting crowd-funding games end up this. In any case, my budgets are simply divided into each project from what I would never pay for recent eye-candy games.

"real time smart combat"… guess this is a no go for me.

Bit of an unfortunate soundbite, the game won't be real-time, unless it's with pause. IGN for some reason didn't quote the interview blurb concerning combat in full, dunno why.

I'm in as soon as KS starts, means I'm pledging tomorrow.

I don't care for concerns - guys, it's practically Torment2. Do you want it? I do.

This.

I will back it once I get more gameplay details and possibly ingame screenshots. I find the concept art gorgeous but I need to see the art style they have going on.

I do not want the Epic Mickey syndrome (below)

Concept Art (OMG)
EPIC-MICKEY-WALL.png

Ingame Screenshot (WTF)
EDG223_r_epic.jpg

I think the most important aspect of why they are starting this now is so that they don't have to retrain people in the tools they use because they had to let people go. This would make the development take much longer and cost more because of that.

Would you rather kickstart Torment 2 now before Wasteland 2 comes out or later after Wasteland 2 comes out and wait for a much longer time then you would have. (also it would either cost more or have less content then it would have)

Last edited:
Good points, genthar!

I would definitely back the game if when Wasteland 2 is released, the staff behind it seamlessly move onto Torment.

Stable employment, efficient internal asset handling, etc: sounds good to me!

From the article:
We’re trying to appeal to the Planescape: Torment fans, or the people who would have been fans if they had the chance.

It seems they are mindful of what fans expect so I hope they do not make drastically different gameplay mechanics from Planescape: Torment

Bit of an unfortunate soundbite, the game won't be real-time, unless it's with pause. IGN for some reason didn't quote the interview blurb concerning combat in full, dunno why.
From a post by Colin McComb @RPGcodex
It is a stupid phrase that I shouldn't have said. We haven't made a decision about combat yet; we'll be taking input from our backers and making sure we have the kind of combat that best fits our system.

Which is to say: Nothing is finalized. Nothing is close to finalized.

Yeah, I thought it's odd since the game is going to be built up from the source of Wasteland 2 and that not so many people value the combat in Torment.

I hope they use real time with pause for this, as that's what PS: T used originally. It's probably a wee bit harder to develop than TB, but if it's going down the path of Project Eternity by using a lot of references to Infinity Engine games it would certainly help to have a similar combat style.

I can not NOT support an attempt to create a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment. I never thought we would see another game like it. They have to make a really really bad pitch for me to not support it.

Does anyone know the time this thing is supposed to kick off?

Does anyone know the time this thing is supposed to kick off?

Directly from the official website: March 6th at 14:00 UTC (6 AM PST). Expect Kickstarter to suffer greatly in about 30 minutes...

Yes, and I backed it. The setting sounds too intriguing not to.

Edit: Don't think this will have any issues in reaching its goal... It's already over 100k in under 30 mins...

Backed and I agree, it should hit its' goal with no problem. I've backed some projects that looked far less promising than this one, lol.

-Carn

The reserved enthusiasm here (which is warranted) is a surprising contrast to the general faggotry/ fangirling over at the Codex. Seems this is the truly high-brow community ;)

Will not pledge and probably pick it up for less than 25$ at some sale.

The name kind of bothers me as it has nothing to do with Planescape Torment. This is like when TSR used to slap "AD&D" on every game they published.

Well, no it's not a direct sequel to PS:T but it's the sequel in everything that matters. The feeling, the writing and the setting are very similar. inXile hasn't claimed it was a sequel either, merely a continuation on what made Torment what it was. Name recognition goes a long way with getting a project like this funded. It's not like they picked up the name and are just cashing in, Fargo brought the old (writing) team back together to make this.

I think they're doing the right thing, with the Planescape setting not available anyway they're emphasizing the Torment part which is what made the original a great game. Personally, I couldn't give a hoot about the Planescape setting, I'd never heard of it before or after the first Torment. It was the writing and mature approach to gameplay that made the original so great, not the setting.

What LC said. Even the original Torment had that AD&D logo. :rolleyes: Why not visit the Kickstarter page? Even if this may not be able to fill the shoes of PST, I haven't seen a game pitch so focused on its theme. At the end of the day, what's in a name?

The reserved enthusiasm here (which is warranted) is a surprising contrast to the general faggotry/ fangirling over at the Codex. Seems this is the truly high-brow community ;)

Will not pledge and probably pick it up for less than 25$ at some sale.
If you go for such tactics, a cleverer way is to stay silent: Other people will let the game available to you. However, in my case, since there are no new games worth my time or money, I'd rather spend my money on crowd-funding projects. After all, value is relative, I guess. Talking of enthusiasm, $95 tier began to reach its limit. Also, there is still $20 tier available except that I don't think that's the point.

If you go for such tactics, a cleverer way is to stay silent: Other people will let the game available to you.
I doubt that someone will withdraw their pledge.

But I don't really care if it gets funded/ made or not (tho funding is practically ensured), otherwise I would pledge.

Back
Top Bottom