Blackguards - Win an Early Access Deluxe Edition @RPGWatch!

Because Chess is more challenging than Hungry, Hungry Hippos.

Because it has turns?

For me, different genres of games either work better or suffer by having real-time or turn-based combat. I have never been a huge fan of 'kitten-herding' RTS games, but love action-RPG and FPS games. So ... it depends.

Because when it is turn based you can stop and answer the wife/kids without thinking if you did or did not press pause before.

Well basically, it's a matter of taste of course. But why is tb combat better for Blackguards?

Because the skill and therefore the challenge the game is offering is a completely different one.

Real Time combat means to do as many useful actions as possible in a set time.
A turn based combat eliminates the time pressure element, which allows for more thoughtful moves and allows the game to implement more sophisticated game mechanics.

Why is turn-based combat better than real-time combat?...

Because, The "Real" and the "Best" RPG's are all turn-based :)!.
- Some with a mixture with real-time, some only real-time.
--> There is more to think, you can tactically choose your next attack mode and drink a tee or coffee at the same time :).
--> You don't need a "Pause" Button ^^.

And Because :D I Luv Tactical RPG'S

I prefer turn based because it lets me really see the effects of each individual character and changes I make to them. If I equip a character with an axe with high damage and low accuracy, I might have a hard time seeing the difference it made with 6 characters all hacking and slashing in real time. But in turn based when I control that character individually and see every hit or miss he makes and how effective it was, the difference is much easier to see.

In a party based game turn based is almost a requirement if you have any kind of complex combat system. Without the ability to at least pause every "round" you are likely not going to be using all your party members to their fullest abilities since you can't actively use all of their skills as they are available. Eventually someone is going to end up doing nothing or auto attacking when they could have very well been doing something else. It just allows for the combat to be deeper and require more thought and planning, both before combat and during.

Turn based system is not necessarily better than RTWP, in fact if it is not done right it becomes tedious, repetitive and therefore boring. Ultimately it can destroy combat enjoyment of the game.

Many TB games ended on the gaming dump because of that.

But if TB combat is made properly it can be great fun, because it offers very tactical approach to combat and character builds. It becomes very important part of your gamestyle and the role u play because u have to adapt to it.

Because it's turn based combat, duh!
But seriously, to me it's better as it provides more tactical combat and give me more time to think about said tactics. In real time there is always pressure to act NOW, and I don't like that.

Knowing the precise order of each character's turns allows for a higher level of strategic depth that is not possible when all the characters are acting simultaneously.

You can't play rts game if your wife and kids want something from you every two minutes

It lets us older crowd plan things out at our own pace :)

If you're using RtwP, don't you frequently pause the action to tweak the behavior of individual party members? That's turn-based in a nut-shell. If the AI is fairly sophisticated and you don't need to control the action, then you're mostly just watching the action anyway. Where's the fun in that?

The turn-based and real-time with pause approaches both have their pluses and minuses. But the greater the number of units you need to control, the more beneficial (even essential) turn-based becomes. This is because you're trying to simulate the decisions of a large number of thinking creatures, which is pretty difficult to do in real time.

Last edited:
Don't want a Steam key and turn-based is better, because it let's me think about the action to be taken by the characters. TB gives people a chance to ponder about tactics, fiddle with the environment, find unique ways to kill monsters.

I'm currently developing a new approach, where real-time elements pour into a turn-based system to make it more alive. FF8 designers came up with a fun system: it deserves to be transplanted to turn-based. IMO

I don't think that it's "always" better. For example I can't see playing elder scrolls series or the witcher in turn based. Games where you control a single character wouldn't be fun that way.

But party based RPG's.. They simply have to be turn based or at least real time with pause. The reason I play games with a party is simply the tactical choices they offer. Well, there has to be a good story and fleshed out characters as well, but that's a given I think.

OK I admit I don't have fast enough reflexes to play real time games, that's the real reason:) That's a joke of course but seriously I'd rather play uncharted series for my real time gaming needs. True RPG's in my opinion have to be turn based to fully demonstrate the quality of their ruleset.

Also I really love to sit back and enjoy my gaming with a coffee or beer

Back
Top Bottom