Obsidian Entertainment - Dungeon Siege 3

It sounds and probably will be fun. I was kinda hoping for NWN3 though.

Well, considering all the legal fuss over the D&D license, I guess we'll have to wait a bit before we see a new D&D game being published.

If the game has dungeon siege's polish and obsidian's depth it could be pretty special.

Of course as a pessimist I suspect it'll have obsidian's polish and dungeon siege's depth, but there's a faint glimmer of hope that I'm wrong.

I got bored with DS2 half way through and still haven't bothered re-installing that game (can't stand the crappy storyline at all).

Anyways, at least with Obsidian on-board we can expect a proper story and interesting characters. I mean, NwN2 was way better than sitting through the first one (esp. the level design).

I guess you saw Divine Divinity and Arcanum the same way then.

hmm... don't think I ever played Divine Divinity, and wasn't Arcanum turn based? (played it for a few hours a very long time ago but don't remember).
Basically, games where you just click click click on enemies and they drop color coded items with purple being the 'oh shiny!' and with two big bottles/bars, one being red and one being blue, with lots of health and mana potions, that pretty much indicates a Diablo clone to me. They could at least change the colors lol.

Great. They are taking a very weak franchise (RPG-wise anyway) and giving it to a company famous for turning out unfinished, half-baked product.

Which I'll buy anyway 'cause they are all awesome. :cool:

I'm actually very interested in this game. I liked DS1 + 2 enough to finish them both and I like all Obsidian games released up until now so I'm looking forward to this release.

Black Isle worked on hack & slash RPGs such as Icewind Dale and BG: Dark Alliance. So Obsidian guys aren't exactly new to ARPGs and DS3 might turn out to be a decent game after all. Guys like George Ziets can be trusted to put an interesting spin on DS universe (as he did with MotB). Couple that with involvement of Chris Taylor and Square Enix (for awesome cinematic and great production values?), I think this is actually a GOOD news for ARPG fans, notwithstanding the pedigree of first two DS games..

When I posted my first comment, I ment DS1. Never played DS2 so I must admit that perhaps I've overreacted. Seems I'll have to check DS2 then.
But I still don't like this path Obsidian took.

Aditya, Dark Alliance you say? A blasphemy for a game! Especially on this forum. I'm off to puke. ;)

Hmm Aditya, IWD really is a good game. Excellent combat/gameplay. I don't enjoy it as much as the other Infinity Engine games simply because it's so combat heavy (and fairly linear), but that doesn't mean it's not an excellent dungeon crawler (it clearly is).

Hmm, the square enix/obsidian combo should be interesting. The former rather badly dumbed down Supreme Commander 2, but they probably won't have to do this with DS3, on the other hand they usually like their polish and stories.

Any bets that this will be an interactive screen-saver like DS1?

I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Just when you think you can predict most eventualities in the world of cRPG development, something like this occurs...o_o

It does sound on paper like a blasphemous jarring marriage of two somewhat opposing identities. I can't say that I'm overly excited at the the news, but I'm certainly surprised. Perhaps Obsidian really do need a more mainstream commercial venture that in time will give them more liberty to pursue other RPG projects more in line with their tradition?

However, whilst the first two games have been tedious and simplistic grinds, the multi-player aspect for me is what saved them from being essentially forgettable diablo clones. My brother and I had some fun with the second game, at least.

Having said this, if you had have asked me years ago to believe that one of the previous leaders of Troika, a company with its own particular vision for how to make the most reactive, dialogue and choice heavy cRPGs , was to work on Diablo III, the nadir of hackity slash slash - I wouldn't have believed you. This seems to me to be a similar case with logically, similar desired outcomes. The improvement and continued evolution of a franchise, the wish for a greater endearment and respect from a wider range of fans. Can they succeed? Time will tell.
Just colour me a little uninspired however for the moment...

If it's not just a desperate money grab, I think it has the potential to be something truly special. Then again, I was always a big fan of the hack and slash genre, as it's one of the most well suited for cooperative multiplayer.

After Space Siege, they could put anyone in charge of the DS2 sequel, and it would count as an improvement.

If it's not just a desperate money grab, I think it has the potential to be something truly special. Then again, I was always a big fan of the hack and slash genre, as it's one of the most well suited for cooperative multiplayer.

After Space Siege, they could put anyone in charge of the DS2 sequel, and it would count as an improvement.

Don't say that. They could have outsourced to Trine....

I suppose the bright side to DS3 would be resurgence of interest in the franchise by millions of fans, thus enabling a sequel to the first Dungeon Siege movie. And for Best Picture, the Oscar goes to...

Back
Top Bottom