Risen - Online Options

Yeah, but honestly you know they do that because of Americans. It's not fair we have to have our games dumb downed because of a third world United States.

Yeah. we like our games dumbed down. right on man.

Edit: It looks like I can get it from game.co.uk for 25 Pounds plus 5 Pounds for delivery. That is really good, it works out to $55. In fact, I think I will get all my games this way for now, because new games in Australia cost $80 - $100, which sucks. I reckon I'll put my order in :)

Done :) now let's just hope the dollar holds up until at least October 2nd!

This is exactly what I do. I use Steam etc wherever I can and game.co.uk for the rest. It's cheap and the freight (Royal Mail) is pretty good.

The setting for Risen reminds me lot of Ultima VIII: Pagan, don't you think? You start in a unknown world to an volcanic island with a huge volcano in middle of the island. :)

risenvolcano.jpg

Faranga (Risen)

Morgaelin.jpg

Morgaelin (Pagan)

And here's a clue about it: Making of Risen at 1:27

Last edited:
And when that "asking" happens when you are playing a game? And your game crashes and you haven't saved yet?

Your experience is obviously very different than mine. Whenever I get messages from steam, they appear as a seamless overlay in front of the game I am playing. I have never been kicked out of a game, or had a game crash as a result of these.

Also, why is it okay to run an extra program in the background when it really isn't necessary? And here I thought most people back in the days didn't like AOL's "wrapper" programs.

I don't think the Steam client is anything like the AOL client. AOL felt like a restrictive and unnecessary straight jacket, stopping me from doing what I wanted to do. Where as Steam feels like a useful assistant, taking care of all the stuff I don't care to do (Cataloging, patching, etc).

Impulse and Gamersgate:
- Don't need any client running in the background.
- No DRM unless the publishers forces it, so far only Anno 1404 has done that.
- (Impulse Only)You can resell your game legally (Impulse GOO). Just don't be amoral and register your game with GFWL if you think you will resell the game in the future.
- (Impulse Only)Much more responsive customer service, if you have a issue, you can reach support via the built-in IRC program from Impulse Client.
- (Impulse Only)You can refund games that are published by Stardock (maker of impulse)
- You can easily install your game where. Not where you happened to installed Steam at. I know you can use symoblic links in Vista to link the steam game folder to where you want, but I am sure everyone does that…
- You can install your back up on any PC w/o needing to install an extra client.

I can see how a lot of these points would be desirable to some people. But:
-I view the client as a help, not a hindrance
-I never sell my games, so DRM or not being able to sell them is not an issue for me.
-I've never had to contact Steam for customer service, so I can't comment on that.
-I feel that trying to maintain a complex taxonomy for applications and games is fruitless.

For someone who has a huge collection of games from all 3 digital services. And have been using them ever since the beginnings of every one of them. I don't believe I am spreading misinformation.

If you haven't tried any other services, how can you say that I am spreading misinformation about DD in general?

I don't remember if it was you who said it (I quoted multiple people). But people on this thread have said multiple times, and in various different ways that "you are tethered to the internet when you want to play Steam games". That is the misinformation I spoke of.

Btw, Impulse, or Stardock has been providing DD long before Steam. So no, they are not just copying from Steam and trying to provide a "watered down version" of Steam.

I never once suggested they did. As I've mentioned, I haven't even tried those services, so I would never make such a claim.

The setting for Risen reminds me lot of Ultima VIII: Pagan, don't you think? You start in a unknown world to an volcanic island with a huge volcano in middle of the island. :)

That's a really good observation. Hopefully, Risen will be MUCH better than U8 was.

For people wanting a physical copy but not wanting to give money to gamestop:

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=84290290&extid=Sept2509

$39.90 from gogamer.com right now…I think that's only good for another 33 hours though. And no I don't work for gogamer, I just buy most of my pc games from them.

Oh, and the page says it comes out on Oct 28th but I'm fairly sure that's wrong :)

Yeah I posted that earlier about gogamer having better prices. I also sent them an email about the date, so I will report back once I heard something.

I guess the guy with the copy isn't talking yet?

Yes please do that, I wouldn't mind ordering from GoGamer, but not if I have to wait that long.

Good news, they got back to me, and changed their date for Risen. (it is actually 9/30 now ! )

Edit: This is important JDR, if you order from Gogamer, choose "USPS Priority Mail" (should be $4.99) it is MUCH faster (usually within 2 days), and it is only $2 more than the "Dirt Cheap" option.

Good news, they got back to me, and changed their date for Risen. (it is actually 9/30 now ! )

Edit: This is important JDR, if you order from Gogamer, choose "USPS Priority Mail" (should be $4.99) it is MUCH faster (usually within 2 days), and it is only $2 more than the "Dirt Cheap" option.

Thanks leth, I'm very tempted to order right now. I'm going to wait until 9/30 though, and see if they update the page to say "in stock".

Yeah. we like our games dumbed down. right on man.

RPGWatch is an exception. It's true though. For example take a look at what they did to Resident Evil 5. I was reading comments posted in Resident Evil 5 videos and a lot of people were happy there weren't any puzzles in the game. There was only one real puzzle in the whole game. It seems most of them just want to kill everything that moves and use their brain as little as possible. This is happening to everything.

I'm getting sick of it.

Europe, in order to make your argument, you need to show not just that dumbing down is happening, but also that it is the fault of the USA. You haven't done that at all, and just quietly - RE5 is a Japanese game.

What does RE5 have to do with American gamers?

It was bastardized because of American players.

American = shoot,shoot,shoot, use brain as little as possible. I mean come on JDR13, just look at the Remake and look at Resident Evil 5.

It's a disgrace, don't you agree?

Europe, in order to make your argument, you need to show not just that dumbing down is happening, but also that it is the fault of the USA. You haven't done that at all, and just quietly - RE5 is a Japanese game.

I know Resident Evil 5 is a Japanese game but all of the money is in the United States, so if they want it to sell well they have to dumb down the game.

Like I said before, kill everything that moves, use brain as little as possible. Just look at the sales of First Person Shooters in the United States… it's disgusting and they are so boring and repetitive. It's the same thing with all of these boring third person action shooters but they love them because you just point, shoot and that's it.

For RPG's they hold your hand and point in the direction of your goal, etc. We can't have people exploring themselves, Americans would get frustrated and break down and return the game.

Look at the movies as well, it goes like this.

Guns shooting all over the place.
Slow motion
Lone American saves the world from one million enemies

Repeat over and over, and they love it!

Then Americans wonder why people poke fun at them. I know it's not all of them but it's A LOT of them, probably 99%

These are all facts guys. I remember a poster on here (I've been lurking or a wile) he was joking about the difficulty settings of RPG's.

He said American,Normal and Hard which was funny because it's true. I think they should just add an American option for American players to choose so it doesn't ruin it for other people, don't you agree?

Americans would be more accepting if the games came with a free coupon for a Free Mcdonalds meal too.

I know Resident Evil 5 is a Japanese game but all of the money is in the United States, so if they want it to sell well there they have to dumb down the game.

It doesn't sound like you have any idea what you're talking about, and you make Europeans look ignorant for making such a statement.

These are all facts guys.

Here's a fact…
Within its first three weeks of release, the game sold over 2 million units worldwide and became the highest selling game of the franchise in the United Kingdom. As of September, 2009, Resident Evil 5 has sold 5 million copies worldwide since launch, becoming the best selling single title in the series.

Highest selling game of the franchise in the UK huh? Did Americans do that?

Americans would be more accepting if the games came with a free coupon for a Free Mcdonalds meal too.

I wonder if McDonalds is the reason we dominate the Olympics year after year. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom