Diablo 3 - Not Next Year

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
No real surprise here as Diablo 3 is marked for 2011 at the earliest by Activision Blizzard chief financial officer Thomas Tippl.
While StarCraft II, an upgraded Battle.Net and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm are all firmly pinned down to 2010 releases, Diablo III, StarCraft II expansion packs and Blizzard's next MMO still show a release date of the "next few years".
During a presentation in New York today, Thomas Tippl, Activision Blizzard chief financial officer, raved about the strong business done by Bliizard games. He said the division has a full pipeline of content, which he presented in the slide pictured
here.
While the lineup confirms continued World of Warcraft support and a Starcraft II launch in 2010 (with expansions to follow after), Diablo III was marked to be released in 2011 at the soonest.
More information.

Not that I care mind you, Diablo & clones don't really do it for me and if I ever got the itch I'd just buy Torchlight but.....2011? It's a hack & slash! WTF are they doing over there?

Same old Blizzard.

So... RPGwatch stopped covering MMORPG(s) and I thank you for that...
Now I just pray that RPGwatch closes the door for so called action RPG, or if you want: pure wargaming elements games.
Or if you want me to say this way - Diablo&clones.

Yes, and next up are: turn-based strategic games! Just because I don't like them!

Why is it a problem that RPGWatch's focus is more broad? Maybe you'd prefer only one update per week about only true hardcore isometric PC RPGs. The fun!

I don't care about games that don't directly interest me. They're all RPG-related and I like keeping up to date about them. In the end, most of these games have a lot of elements that are attractive to many RPG fans.

2011 does seem far away... but they do have big shoes to fill!! Also, I don't think Torchlight is a match for Diablo III... for one, it's offline. Definitely a fun hack 'n slash game, but there's magic in Diablo and I can't explain it...

So… RPGwatch stopped covering MMORPG(s) and I thank you for that…
Now I just pray that RPGwatch closes the door for so called action RPG, or if you want: pure wargaming elements games.
Or if you want me to say this way - Diablo&clones.

This is a silly way of thinking.

I like to read about action rpgs just as much as rpg's.

What happened here is torchlight got released, blizzard saw what itw as like in comparison to diablo...freaked out and delayed it.

Not that I care mind you, Diablo & clones don't really do it for me and if I ever got the itch I'd just buy Torchlight but…..2011? It's a hack & slash! WTF are they doing over there?

Same old Blizzard.

I am guessing that you're not a Blizzard fan or player. Blizzard is the only company that I have ever had experience with that actually lives up to the hype. So I really don't get the, "Same old Blizzard" comment. D3 will likely have more polish than any game ever released, and I can't for the life of me see how that's a bad thing.

What happened here is torchlight got released, blizzard saw what itw as like in comparison to diablo…freaked out and delayed it.

Having come off a recent spate of Diablo II playing a few months ago, and having plowed more than 20 hours into Torchlight, let me assure you that Blizzard is not sweating this in the least. For all the complaining about "Diablo clones", there sure aren't any that have managed to capture the feel of the originals. Fate and Torchlight are instructive as examples of just how much less than Diablo II a so-called Diablo clone can be, and how much more there is to Diablo II than just random dungeons, random loot, and clicky clicking.

Having played Fate, I thought that Torchlight was a good effort, and has come a long way. I don't expect it to be all that D3 will be, but I don't think thay make that claim.

I am guessing that you're not a Blizzard fan or player. Blizzard is the only company that I have ever had experience with that actually lives up to the hype. So I really don't get the, "Same old Blizzard" comment. D3 will likely have more polish than any game ever released, and I can't for the life of me see how that's a bad thing.

I've beaten all their games, am I a fan? Meh. I think Diablo I was my favorite, Diablo II and Starcraft being their worst. I did my time on and off in WoW for a few years, finally got tired enough of it to quit for good some time a go.

Absolutely, Blizzard's great for polish but their character mechanics and balance have always left something to be desired. My comment was more pointed to their release schedule, they always seem to take a lot more time to complete a project than other developers, more time than that that extra level of Blizzard polish would seem to require.

Back
Top Bottom