Writing for RPGWatch

Exactly, which I why I prefer a written meaning for a score rather than a percentage.

I was wrestling with the same question on my first Review D'Art, and I also would have preferred a half star at the time. But on the other hand do we really gain something that way? If we have half stars why not quarter stars as well? Is it 73 or 74%? It quickly gets silly. I think it makes sense to keep this very broad score and put the emphasis and the detail in the review and the pro-con list. Ultimately I think our reviews are anyway usually quite late and not necessarily used by many as the foundation of a buying decision. I think they serve as basis for discussion, as go to points for future reference, as "our point of view as a CRPG fansite", and I think the existing scoring format serves it pretty well.

NO,NO,NO!!! You still don't get it!!!!! Our scores are NOT a percentage. 5/5 is NOT 100%. Please, READ what our scores mean!!

OK, well, then consider myself as living proof that these nuances of the star rating system are completely lost on lazy dumbasses like myself :biggrin: .

I was wrestling with the same question on my first Review D'Art, and I also would have preferred a half star at the time. But on the other hand do we really gain something that way? If we have half stars why not quarter stars as well? Is it 73 or 74%? It quickly gets silly. I think it makes sense to keep this very broad score and put the emphasis and the detail in the review and the pro-con list. Ultimately I think our reviews are anyway usually quite late and not necessarily used by many as the foundation of a buying decision. I think they serve as basis for discussion, as go to points for future reference, as "our point of view as a CRPG fansite", and I think the existing scoring format serves it pretty well.

I don't think the potential for more nuance is silly, no.

I agree that there will be a point where the benefit of precision is undetectable, but I certainly don't think having half stars crosses that line.

In the grand scheme of things, I concede it's probably not a big deal. But when I write reviews (as opposed to just giving an opinion) - I strive for objectivity, and I don't like to give a score that doesn't reflect my actual opinion.

But, as I said, I would actually prefer not rating games at all. I don't think games are a good fit for numerical representation of quality or value.

I have an option for review code for Space Rangers HD. Any volunteers who want to review it and write an article?

I have an option for review code for Space Rangers HD. Any volunteers who want to review it and write an article?

I'd be happy to, although I know there are some people here who are very fond of SR/2 who might be annoyed if I don't give it a glowing report :p

(I have no special pre-conceptions - I played Space Rangers 2 for a bit, enjoyed most of it, but didn't last long on it before stopping for some reason. Obviously would give this a decent chunk of play time if was reviewing it)

Anyone wants to do a preview of a pre-release of Consortium?

I can't believe you're not getting any response on this. I'll bump this to help you out. I'd jump on this if I had the time.

If in a weird universe you don't get a response I'll try and make the time. This game looks fascinating.

Who wants to write an article on Blackguards. We provide the early access key.

Sure hope someone picks this offer up =)

Who wants to write an article on Blackguards. We provide the early access key.

I can write the article, but I have the key. Two articles are better than one though :) How do I submit the article? Just send it to you in an email/pm?

Also, do you want me to finish the whole early access area before writing it? I'm about 10-15 hours into the game.

i am not a very regular poster, but i am willing to write about blackguard.

Just to give a general idea, i started with MM3 and Wiz7 and played a lot of RPG's. The one to rule them all still is ps:TORMENT!

I am not a native speaker/writer, so unless you guys can read dutch it's probably a good idea to check my spelling and grammar.

if you need my service, just drop me a note, ok?

I had written a ca. 80-90% finished article with the basics, based on the GC preview, before real life caught up with me. A whole A4 page, printed out.

I would suggest that I finish this up and verify it with the early access version. Then you guys can concentrate on actual gameplay impressions. I've already bought an early access key and installed the game.

This should be more than enough for a preview.

How long is chapter 1? Do I remember correctly that there will be 5 chapters?

Chapter 1 is about 15 hours if you do everything. As I'm a restarter and a replayer of battles to get better drops, I've got 30 hours in it and have just finished "the game" from the two dwarves. There are a few bugs that make life as a mage more difficult, but I'm playing one anyway.

If you don't get someone for Consortium, I'm available. I've never done any kind of game writing, but I play a lot of rpgs and writing is one of my strong points.

LordTarin, if you start participating in the forums on a daily basis, showing your writing skills and personality, that will be a big help in determining whether or not you could write for them. They're not going to give a game out to someone who doesn't participate, in general, to the forums. Being new isn't a sin though, just join in and soon you'll have a decent post count and everyone will know who you are :)

I say this as someone who has several posts and has been on here for years, but I might not be ideal as a writer because my sentiments lean outside of the norm for the site. I offered for Blackguards but Gorath trumped me, and I don't mind at all. He's a good writer.

I offered for Blackguards but Gorath trumped me, and I don't mind at all. He's a good writer.

Maybe you've misunderstood that. ;) I offered to write the dry parts. Your detailed impressions are more than welcome. Seeing what a game mechanics guy like you thinks compared to somebody who prefers storytelling combined with simple & clean systems could be quite interesting.

I'll write about it, I already have. I will just post impressions in your site piece. I've already jibber-jabbered more than anyone else about Blackguards. I don't care about credit, I just want there to be conversation about the game. It is a very solid effort with just a few minor bugs in chapter one.

Back
Top Bottom