Original Sin - Gamespot's PC Game of The Year

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamespot has named Divinity: Original Sin their PC game of the year, and before I forget, thanks Joxer for bringing this to my attention earlier today. Here are the details.

If you haven't played Divinity: Original Sin but have only seen screenshots, it would be easy to dismiss its success as owing to its grab at PC-enthusiast nostalgia. That isometric perspective? A party of four? They recall the good-old days of Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II. Could a game really be blamed for appealing to our fondness for the past?

In the case of Divinity, however, appearances are deceiving. What makes Divinity special isn't how closely it hews to an old recipe, but how far it deviates from it. This is a game in which the most innocuous of choices have consequences that you may not have foreseen, but which nonetheless make sense within this internally consistent and varied world. Making decisions in Divinity isn't a matter of following dialogue paths to predesignated story beats, but about deciding whether a conversation is even worth having in the first place. And should that conversation occur, it's up to your own personal gifts of persuasion--and a little bit of luck--to determine whether it will go your way. Violence is an option, but it's not the only one.

Violence is nevertheless an enjoyable option, however, thanks to Divinity's excellent turn-based combat, which harbors surprises of its own, most of them due to elemental reactions that could blow up your entire party if you aren't paying close attention to your surroundings. In Divinity: Original Sin, every encounter, every discussion, every step into the unknown is an event. And you know a game is special when you know that the simplest of choices might create lasting, heart-pounding, game-changing drama.
More information.

I hope this game will get some more Game of the Year awards.

Just so you know I trolled it yesterday on Bioware forum and to my surprise, instead of spits on me, majority of people responded positive on this choice Gamespot did.

It wasn't Homer's blind audience case:
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/535780-and-goty-on-pc-by-gamespot-staff-goes-to/

Not sure if this can impress EA enough to make at least PC controls more decent as EA is interested only in $, not awards. But still.

Still need to finish this one (as is the case with almost all of the games I've played more recently), but I definitely agree that it is an incredible game. Can't make the call between it and Wasteland 2 until I have been able to complete them both.

If you haven't played Divinity: Original Sin but have only seen screenshots, it would be easy to dismiss its success as owing to its grab at PC-enthusiast nostalgia. That isometric perspective? A party of four? They recall the good-old days of Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate II. Could a game really be blamed for appealing to our fondness for the past?

What would said people think when they look down the barrel of a gun in first person perspective?

Having played both D:OS and Dragon Age: Inquisition… I enjoyed OS but prefer DA, hands down. The writing is better, the companions are better, the story is better. OS wins, by far, in combat— but combat is such a small part of my interest in RPGs. Dragon Age gives me the 'wow factor', even after 70hrs and still counting.

That said, you can't really compare an indie title to a AAA title, fairly, and I think it's great that Larian wins GOTY. Ironic, though, that everyone writes off large game magazines for reviews, selling out, etc, but then they're held up as standard and legit when they do something like this.

Yea sorry but this was award for a PC game of the year.
Since DA3 is not really PC game, and Bioware blatantly lied it is, because of that reason solely it IMO shouldn't get any award on PC.

On consoles, I don't actually care, but if DA3 is the best thing on consoles, it can only confirm my claims that consolegames are crap.

Sure, by registered users vote DA3 will probably get the most aggro votes as the game is available on 5 platforms, but I'd never vote for a game where developer deliberately lied to the audience on PC, phones or consoles. It would just encourage those developers to lie again.

Congras to Divinity Orignal Sin.

Although, it's going to be hilarious when the player's vote get released and DAI win all the categories it is in except PS3 because a DLC to last year GOTY is currently winning.

DLC is competing for game of the year? ROTFL

Congrats, Larian. You guys earned it.

Congras to Divinity Orignal Sin.

Although, it's going to be hilarious when the player's vote get released and DAI win all the categories it is in except PS3 because a DLC to last year GOTY is currently winning.
Who cares what unwashed masses think :D :D

Back
Top Bottom