Dungeons of Dredmor - Save Files and Apologies

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Gaslamp continues their daily updates with a mea culpa over Dredmor launch issues, and particularly the save game compatibility. Here's a partial grab:
First off, the good news. We have managed to fix the save file issue, and we will have a patch in your hands tomorrow. So hold onto them. Mac Users, we are still waiting on some information from Valve about the correct way to build Mac Patches. Again, thanks for hanging in there. Your patch is coming.
A few apologies are owed as well. Obviously, breaking save files is a bad thing. This is our mess, we made it, and now we get to live with it. I am not happy with the fact that we have been having teething troubles after launch. This is, bluntly, not how I want Gaslamp Games to be run. I want us to be the company that is so freakin’ awesome you tell your friends how awesome we are. The programming side of things is my fault, and I apologize for that as well.
The simple fact of the matter is that we were not expecting sales in the volume that we got, and we were not expecting the response that we got. I honestly thought we would make… maybe a thousand sales during the entire lifetime of the product. We are… doing somewhat better than that, and as a result we are doing our best to try to deal with the fact that we now have to support a massive user base, with no money, no staff, and no time. Consequently, we have been scrabbling around trying to get everything sorted out, and when we were testing the reasonably large patch that was about to come out, this slipped through the cracks at the last minute. We didn’t go back and re-test the savegames after we put together a last minute fix for a shopkeeper issue, and ka-blam, there’s nothing left to do but to pick up the bodies. It’s a mess, and our forums are probably on fire as well… I haven’t had the heart to look.
So, yep. There’s mud on all of our faces. Mainly mine, because whenever there are bugs it tends to be a programming issue.
More information.

In the grand scheme of things, not much time has passed since release. It's a fun game that I played many hours of, and paid $4.50 for- for that, I can forgive a lot. Besides, I know you'll make it up to us in new content, eventually :p

Also, I know it will be a while before you even have the time to read this, so who the hell am I even talking to? Perhaps no one. Perhaps I'm just going mad.

In the grand scheme of things, not much time has passed since release. It's a fun game that I played many hours of, and paid $4.50 for- for that, I can forgive a lot. Besides, I know you'll make it up to us in new content, eventually :p
Yeah, I tried to tell them their price was too low. They could easily gone $9.50 - $15.00 with that kind of abuse. :p

Burn him! Burn the Drow!

But, in all seriousness, there's an awful lot of mea culpa going on there. Truth be told, it's a fun game and the quick fixes are refreshing compared to AAA developers' slow turn-around times.

Yeah, I tried to tell them their price was too low. They could easily gone $9.50 - $15.00 with that kind of abuse. :p

i dunno, i wouldn't have grabbed it as fast as i did if it were $10. i like rogue-likes but why pay $10 for one when there are lots of free ones around. $5 though, why not?!

maybe i'm just been a cheap-skate but i'd buy pretty much anything for $5 dollars but probably not for $10.

Hey! But i used quickfix you posted on your site , it worked perfectly.

So no fuss ;)

Burn him! Burn the Drow!

But, in all seriousness, there's an awful lot of mea culpa going on there. Truth be told, it's a fun game and the quick fixes are refreshing compared to AAA developers' slow turn-around times.

And that's what results in bad bugs like killing save games. AAA developers don't delay patches for no reason. Don't have a problem with either approach personally.

Back
Top Bottom