Morrowind Morrowind & Windows 7 64: Some Questions

Rills

Sentinel
I was not sure if I should post this here or the Tech Help forum...

Long story short: Back in 2002 I installed Morrowind but at the time I ran all over the place and never did get past the Fighter's Guild quests before uninstalling.

Fast forward a few years ago my sister-in-law bought me the GotY edition but had not installed it. I am thinking of installing it in my new system with the following hardware:

i5-3570 quad cpu, 8 gigs of RAM and an AMD Radeon 6950.

However, I have been reading a lot on the net how either this game works quite fine on Windows 7 64 while others have continuous issues while still others have had to do a lot of tweaking to make it work on this OS. Since this is the Home Premium addition I don't have the luxury of XP mode.

I also want to install Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 after I install the game plus expansions.

1. Anyone run this game in 7 64 and if so what has been your experience?

2. How does this game run under this OS with Morrowind Overhaul?

3. Any other items/info/advice I should know?

Thanks

Works fine for me on Win7 64 Home Premium with the MGSO, but I am using the Steam version, so that might be a bit different than the retail one. It seems like some people get lower performance out of the MGSO on Win7, but despite it showing a low framerate, it's smooth for me.

I think the best thing to do is just give it a try and see how it goes.

Runs alright in Windows 7 Professional for me. Occasionally when I'm trying to use the silt strider it crashes, so I save often.

And yeah, it does seem to run better than the framerate would suggest. There were a few times where my framerate dipped to 15 or so, but the game remained smooth enough. On my old Vista setup, 15 rates was noticeably more choppy.

I say give it a go and see how it works for you. It's well worth playing the Overhaul + expansions.

Good luck.

Works great on my end (steam version), tho i havent technically installed MGSO.

My installation is an improved general texture pack, and better bodies/faces/clothes, and some custom armors. I also run a mod that removes the "shine" effect that all magical items have, that has always annoyed me so i was thankful someone addressed that issue.

I'm curious, i think i may back up my data file after i get done w/ my current game (dunmer ninja!) and give MSGO a try snd see how it compares.

I have win7 using the morrowind overhaul and it looks and works great so far. Thanks to Menigal and his back to Morrowind thread I am back at it as well. Looks beautiful so far! I had just a wee bit of a problem getting the MSGO to render distant lands(got to be patient and let it run) but the results are awe-inspiring

I really love this game and am considering playing it without anymore mods.
Thats usually my downfall, spending way more time downloading and installing the mods til I break the game.

This time I think it can stand on its own

Is there a tutorial that you guys would recommend on how and where to install mods as well as Morrowind Overhaul, i.e. what files and where? It has been a very, very long time since I have had to do anything of this nature.

The reason I ask is because my system has an SSD (drive C) that runs my OS as well as other things and a hard drive that is for gaming (drive E). The thing is when I go to install my system automatically wants to install on my C drive but I need to install this game on my E drive.

Thanks again.

* redman5427 - Is your game the boxed version or Steam's offering?

I have the boxed game of the year addition. I believe the overhaul works with Steam as well. It couldn't be easier, the overhaul has steps as it guides you thru the process. It will disable UAC control for you, applies patches and it actually advises you to install it somewhere other than C:program files
I have it there anyways and it works fine.

I don't have a C:program files directory so I should be good to go too. :p

crpgnut who is as silly as Pibbur, but doesn't talk about himself in the thrid person.

Dunno but crpgnut adores to stick out his tongue it seems...

Back
Top Bottom