Legends of Eisenwald - Indie or Not Indie?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Aterdux Entertainment next Developer Diary update for Legends of Eisenwald about the recent previews of the game, and they even metion the preview from Aubrielle.

Developers Diaries #17 – indie or not indie?

Hello everyone,

Lattely we have been talking to a few journalists, from IGN Russia and rpgwatch in particular. IGN Russia had a discussion what is an indie game which was presented in several developers answers to four questions: what is an indie game; do you think Journey for PS3 or Valiant Hearts are indie games; if Banner Saga went to a publisher, they would have gotten more money and have done a better game – what do you think of this statement; are you an indie developer yourself. Many answered that it’s a game where a process of its creation is not controlled by a publisher or an investor, we added that it’s a game that is doing something new and it’s also creative splash of the people making this game. Even some games of big studios could be considered indie, in our opinion. The whole article is here (in Russian).

rpgwatch wrote a preview. Alexander met with an editor from this site in Cologne during GamesCom and this preview is a result of this even though a preview is written by someone else.

In the beginning of the summer we applied with our game to IndieCade. We didn’t have many hopes to start with. Looking at the screenshots that are published on Facebook page of this festival one could think that indie games for them are almost exclusively pixel art, simple mechanics and other attributes of modern pop-culture. So, the response we were not selected for the final part did not surprise us. To the standard response there were attached a few sentences of a juror or a few of them:

"I kind of don’t get it… When the game is defined as a “classic old school RPG with tactical turn-based battles, simple economic model” why would you enter it in indiecade?"

" It seems weird to me, with no hook, no novelty and no tutorial, the game feels… Well, like a 90s game. It’s a “classic, yes, but “old school” doesn’t have to mean “old”."

"This game is an impressive technical achievement! Indiecade however looks for games that innovate in design or other categories, and Legends of Eisenwald is largely a worthy but loyal recreation of a well-trodden category.

We are grateful for a personal response and understand that everyone has different opinions. The only details that is not quite clear is a “no tutorial” part. Tutorial (while not the greatest) have been on Early Access since the very beginning and it seems that jurors simply didn’t have enough time to check for a tutorial option in the settings. We started playing games in 90s and even the end of 80s, so in most cases when some people say our game looks like from the 90s, it sounds rather surprising to us and brings us to the conclusion that most likely they didn’t play anything back then.

What do you think? Do we describe our game well? Maybe some moments are really unclear for the people who look at our game for the first time and has only 10 minutes to look at the game? We would really love to hear your opinions!
More information.

…wow…! I hope he liked the article...

And I dunno. Now that they mention it, it does feel like something from the 90's to me. I have no idea why, but it does…

Last edited:
Well, to me, a game being called something from the 90's is quite usually a high compliment. At least in the rpg department. So they should ride that pony all the way to the bank.

I found it really funny when I read the update, especially this part:

" It seems weird to me, with no hook, no novelty and no tutorial, the game feels… Well, like a 90s game. It’s a “classic, yes, but “old school” doesn’t have to mean “old”."

Basically many people feel that if a game doesn't have a whimsical gimmick and a tutorial it's "too outdated". I weep for humanity.

We had similar issues when presenting AoD in one of these so called "Indie Festivals". And our feeling was what was said in the article, "that indie games for them are almost exclusively pixel art, simple mechanics and other attributes of modern pop-culture".

We had similar issues when presenting AoD in one of these so called "Indie Festivals". And our feeling was what was said in the article, "that indie games for them are almost exclusively pixel art, simple mechanics and other attributes of modern pop-culture".

I think it's pretty obvious that people typically associated with the indie scene are not part of the target audience for an eastern European strategy game like Legends of Eisenwald, or your target audience. This audience has more in common with people who play mobile apps: they want cheap, easily accessible gratification, and a cuddly theme to feel fuzzy.

Your target audience are the people who actually care about actual substance and difficult but rewarding and often intellectually demanding content, and who will be glad to pay full price to patronize someone who caters exactly to what they want.

Everything negative in the whole Indie games scene I think can be personified by the pretentious douchebag hipster monstrosity that is Phil Fish. Why do so many of these festivals feel the need for so much pretense and snobbery?

I think Indie should simply mean independent of major studio funding.

I think Indie should simply mean independent of major studio funding.

Thats how I always thought about it. I dont understand why indie should be only some retro-style pop culture who thinks their games are great just because pixel art or gimmicks are cool.

This audience has more in common with people who play mobile apps

Good comment. I have similar impression.

http://sinisterdesign.net/against-the-cult-of-simplicity/

Also see this recent article in which Craig Stern decries the overt focus of the indie scene toward simplicity to the detriment of complex games, it is in the same vein.

To be fair to them, though, I think a lot of this focus toward simplicity is also due to most indies having almost no budget, so it's easy to make a whimsical game with a bit of pixel art that will have a short development cycle, and will garner the attention and praise that the green developer, often still in college or fresh out of it, longs to get. Few people, other than the likes of Jeff Vogel who have a well established business model, choose to go the less traveled road.

Back
Top Bottom