South Park - Will Not Use Uplay

DIE uplay, DIE! :biggrin:

Funny how people talk about games having multiple DRM schemes when they only have those multiple schemes if you buy through steam, too. Both Batman AA and AC only used steam if you bought through steam, Max Payne 3 only used multiple forms if you bought via steam.

Great, but what about all the people who want the game on Steam?

Batman AA didn't even use GFWL as DRM as it would work fine with an offline account, it only used secruom for activation.

You were still forced to register a GFWL account in order to use your copy. SecuROM also limited the number of times you could install the game.

I've never registered a GFWL account. I played a legit version of BatmanAA. Offline accounts do not require any verification or activation on the GFWL side, just SecuROM.

As for people who want the game on steam, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If they're OK with forcing other people to use their favoured client I ain't going to have sympathy for them when they're forced to use someone elses. I'm all for complaining about DRM, but if there's a version available with less and you complain about voluntarily buying from a place with more I'm not going to have much sympathy. If someone today complained about the Stalker games having SecuROM or Tages or whatever on them the answer would be simple, get them from GOG. If they can't be bothered doing that then that is their choice, and tough noogies.

GFWL was removed from all batman games. Since it is or will be no more, not sure if it happened yet.

[Shortened]

No advantages? I've dumped all my discs and repurchased my games on steam because of its convenience.

It puts everything in one place. Multiplayer,friends,guides,game forums,etc.

With steam I can do a clean windows install in about 20 min with all 150+ of my games reassociated with my OS. This would take days before steam reinstalling all my games. I re-install every 6 months so this is huge for me.

Automatic updates, ( no more searching for latest patches) downloading includes dlc,s without the need to install seperatly,cloud saving is usefull IMO, especially when reinstalling.

"The road to monopoly is paved with customer convenience."

That's what I say.

To be more cynical, all of these copy protection methods rather leave the impression on me that I'm merely tolerated, as a buyer.
Or, as an cynical saying goes : "Business runs just fine. The only hindrance is the customer."

Is Ubisoft trying to make me like them? It kind of seems like they're trying to make me like them and it scares me because I think it might be working.

Batman AC, GOTY on Steam doesn't appear to use Windows Live, FWIW.

It used to, as has been said, and was patched out.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/18/batman-arkham-games-ditch-games-for-windows-live-75-off-on-st/

In addition to use for copy protection, it also used save-game DRM so that your save game could only be read on a system with your GFWL account and key. So when they stripped out GFWL it did mean that people's save games were no longer readable, but they upgraded users purchase to the GOTY edition in the same move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom