Political and politically incorrect humor

Well, I can tell you this- Varvel is generally unapologetic about his conservative slant, but he wouldn't put out numbers that couldn't be easily verified since that would completely derail his cartoon. I expect you could verify them all with a quick visit to Google if you actually wanted to know.

Good stuff. :)

Caricature in an German newspaper :

2 pictures.

Picture 1 :

Microphone held towards the Deutscher Michel" (he's an equivalent to Uncle Sam, a kind of personification of "the common German citizen")

"Obama or Romney ?"

Deutscher Michel : "Clearly Obama ! Romney to too much right-wing for me, and his foreign policy statements …"

Picture 2 :

Microphone held towards Uncle Sam :

"Merkel or Steinbrück ?"

Uncle Sam : "What ?"

This caricature is an expression of an often-held common German view that Germans are far more interested (and educated) in what's going on in the U.S. than vice versa.

If I'd say to a group Germans that "I bet the common U.S. American doesn't know who's ruling Germany", then all the Germans would agree. Almost no exceptions.

Ahem. ;)

Yes. Lobbyists. ;)

A couple of the final entries in the Varvel/Benson toon war:

111112.jpg

ben110612.jpg

It's been an interesting week in Sweden after the fascist party "The Swedish Democrats" were first polled to have +10% of the votes and then a video from two years back leaked with some of the party's top men arming themselves with iron bars in order to beat up a drunk immigrant and calling a young woman a whore.

Sharing some of my facebook feed even though most of it is lost in translation;

I know what you did last-last-last summer (from Ironbar Media).

14227_293733694060745_391385600_n.jpg

For the next one; Jimmie Åkesson is the leader of the party and "?, cha-lalalala" is a common and rather crude and unsophisticated cheering song that means nothing and is usually sung drunk or can be heard at football tournaments etc.

A FOREIGN PEOPLE.
Like, im not a racist, but when you hear them sing savage songs from their homeland one must ponder…
Jimmie Åkesson - Cha-lalalala, Jimmie Åkesson - Cha-lalalala"*
- What IS this?
- Some kind of voodooo… I believe they are calling evil spirits.

14203_459262890781589_1584412920_n.jpg

542976_10151536933162222_636075059_n.jpg

Are the Swedish Democrats celebrating halloween? It's not a Swedish holliday?
- Or all saint's day? It's christian, like inherited by the catholic Rome?
- Or Lucia, it's a tradition imported from Sicily.
- Christmas?
- Christmas? Jesus was a Jew.
- But what do they do on Christmas then? Do they go to Thailand?
- Are you nuts? Thailand is like a foreign place.

21650_10151309222814515_1341349923_n.jpg

Note: "Slå ett slag" is literally "strike" in singular and have a double meaning since it can mean to physically hit something and make a solid and sincere attempt at an action, including a political action, but it do not mean striking workers like in the English language.

Safety & Tradition
We strike a blow* for our Sweden

20229_10152288958375691_237201429_n.jpg

With a good iron bar one can make a surprise attack.*
* Not a literal translation but captures the point.

408092_10151500844007166_326694770_n.jpg

* "Blatte" is swedish racist slur against african or arabic people.

Oh. You called someone a whore and blattelover?*
Please tell me again how it's the immigrants fault you do not have a job.

553830_10151138727053061_1114510266_n.jpg

Last edited:
Havy stuff. I wish Germany had caricatures like that. *sigh*

Who is "Farmor Anka", by the way ? The gravestone reads : "Farmor Anka R.I.P." ?

Farmor Anka is Dorette Duck or in english Grandma Duck

All Saint´s day is a holiday when you are supposed to go to the graveyard and decorate the graves of your relatives which is what they are doing in the comic

Yes, we have "Allerheiligen" here, too.
Dorette Duck has the same name in Germany as well. Often called "Oma Duck", too.

Ah sorry perhaps I was a bit obtuse

Dear Alrik I know that you´re german so I started with the german name for farmor anka

The artist Charlie Christensen got his work published in germany as well in the 90-s unfortunately I don´t know the german independant comic scene as well as the nordic one so I don´t know where and how but probably in the same fora where you find Ralf König (königs lysistrate is one of the funniest comics I´ve ever read)

Ralf König ? Well known, but not my favourite drawing style. I sometimes don't read comics when I don't like the drawing style, it's esentially a matter of taste.

Ralf König seems to be well known among the gay communities - and Cologne seems to have a major gay community.

I don't care about that because I'm not gay, but I respect artists works.

I did a search and couldn´t find any Christensen or König in english, outside ebay.
I guess they are out of print
You can get the movie adaptation of königs "killer condom" which is quite fun and rather poignant as a parabel about the 80s aids scare

Ralph Königs; Killer condom

Königs Lysistrate comic is as far as I have found the perfect comic gift for elder women who are still sexually active or want to to be

I am a comics buff;
Apart from the two albums I mentioned I´m not that fond of of könig most of his other work is too scene dependent and since I´m not gay it doesn´t work for me the humor is to internal, still those two are masterful.

perhaps there should be a comics thread here or not

I leave you with a link to a very good steampunk comic
Girli Genius
It´s an ongoing series in the belgian school and they have continued it for ten years
You should probably try it if don´t already know about it,
It has helped me through quite a few afternoons at work when I had to wait for windows to install or something there about

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom