NWN2 - 2nd Expansion Revealed?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Thanks to Avantenor for writing in with an article at Eurogamer.de that suggests Atari is planning a second NWN2 expansion. Digging a little further leads to Atari's Q3 results (pdf) and this quote:
Titles we plan to release during the next fiscal year of 2008-2009: the opus in the company’s Alone In The Dark franchise, for XBox 360, Wii, Playstation 2 and PC,
Legendary PS3, Xbox 360, PC – Airborne Rangers PS3, Xbox 360, PC -
NeverWinter Night 2 Expansion Pack2 PC - Alone In The Dark PS3, Panoramix Brain Trainer NDS - Hogs of War 2, NDS, WII, PS2, PC - Astérix aux Jeux Olympiques
Xbox 360 - Lucky Luke: Daltons NDS - My Horse & Me 2 NDS, WII, PC, PS2, X360
It's possible this refers to Mysteries of Westgate but we'd expect that to be a NWN2 Adventure Pack.
More information.

In a financial document I doubt they would distinguish between an "adventure pack" and an expansion pack.

In a financial document I doubt they would distinguish between an "adventure pack" and an expansion pack.

True, but then Obsidian themselves have always referred to MotB as "NX1", implying the first expansion, not the only... and also Mysteries has never been referred to as NX2.

A second expansion has always been pretty likely, and it would be this year if they're going to do one.

I just hope it's not an adventure that continues MotB - playing level 30+ for the whole adventure would really turn me off.

These are the releases for fiscal year 2009, that starts in April. Would be a pretty long time for polishing the adventure pack.

I think Ossian used another working title, other than nx. I did read it somewhere but forgot. It was something similar, but something that implicited that it was a) different from nx1, b) download content and c) the first one in a row just like nx1.

I´m not completely sure, but I think I read something about a 2nd add-on when I looked up the Gothic 4 deal. Same fund. NWN 2 did better than expected and now they reinvest some of the money.

They'd be crazy not to have a second expansion pack, though it might have to require a new adventure rather than importing your character from the end of MotB due to leveling issues.

I agree. While the option of more epic levels does sound tempting (it's fun to run around with god-like powers and literally squish some lower level monsters), not to mention I already removed my saves from the end of MotB, including the exported character, I would opt for a new storyline.

Please, no more epic levels. I can't see the screen for the fireworks. I'd rather be a Level 1 character with a kettle lid for a shield and a rusty fork for a weapon. There's so much higher to rise from there.

Considering the very high quality of MotB (best D&D product in many years imho), I really hope we get another expansion pack - new adventure party, new story, new locations. Maybe something that involves Drow or the Underdark. Maybe we can meet some of the legends, like in BG2 (Drizzt, Elminster, etc). There's just so many possibilities in D&D, but only if we start fresh and get a whole new campaign.

finally started act 3 of the orginal nwn2 last night...replaying the 50 plus hours of act 1 and most of 2 from my first try in dec 2006 has been slow but still far from repeatative. poor witcher is sitting on my desk, and the backburner as mask of betrayer beckons as well. hopefully this new expansion won't come out 'til the fall or later.

I want you, I need you, I gotta be near you.

I won my expansion pack just before my power supply died?

Anyway, I'll have to echo the "no-epic-levels" plea - it's just tiring, and is one of the reasons I didn't even finish MotB.

That's the call of the mainstream, so I would say no way out. I think, it could be interesting, 'though. Both Hords of the Underdark and Mask of the Betrayer have been better than the original campaign regarding story, atmosphere and role play.

One thing I want from a future expansion pack, would be to see an end of drow, Underdark and stuff like that. While I know it's somewhat popular, personally, I'd like something in the vein ot Mask of the Betrayer - an area/region that is not as exploited in DnD videogames as is the Underdark.

I would like a more classic story with Dragons, Beholders, Minotaurs and Otyugh.

Basing it during the time of the Nethril empire would be an interesting idea and would be a change of pace to the standard Forgotten Realms games.

I've been waiting for a yes/no answer on a second NWN2 expansion, to see if it's worth me going out and getting the recently released gold pack. Tracking down individual copies is a task I don't like.

That said, I've still got too much i'm playing through to get the thing as yet. I may just wait for it's platinum equivilent.

Well, with vanilla NWN2 the loading screen tips contained several hints about Rasheman. With MotB installed, however, there are now tool tips that hint at Chult.

So I strongly suspect a NX2 will take us to the jungle :)

Since NWN 2 story ended with one cliffhanger, it could have gone any which way for NX1...it seems rather complicated to do so for NX2 considering that there were three distinctly different endings for NX1. Indeed, knowing the writing talent at Obsidian, they can very well still find some common point from all three different endings and continue story there onwards, but I really doubt that would be the case. One part of me thinks that it would be still be Epic level adventure (like Hoards of Underdark, upto lvl 40) but other part of me thinks that Obsidian would listen to fans and would rather tell a new intriguing story, starting from lvl 1...coz even on Obsidian forums, majority of fans DO NOT wish to play Epic adventure once again...so lets see. Either way, I am really happy and excited..this is really a GREAT week for cRPG fans , what with Mass Effect PC and KotOR 3 already on horizon :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom